"Combine?"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gak

02 Mar 2015

One thing that's bugging me. I don't seem to be able to select stuff and then right click and  "combine" no matter what (always greyed out)

Is there some trick? I'd like to be able to make combinators and video/written instructions seem to indicate that I should be able to do this.

Thanks for any help

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Mar 2015

You can't combine a combinator, mix channel, or an audio track.  

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2015

Actually i think you can combine Combinators. One of the combinators is retained, and the devices inside the other will be placed in it, and the remaining combinator is deleted.

To combine 2 devices select them with ctrl/command + click (be sure the devices you want to combine are selected - its boundaries will turn blue), right click on one of them and hit combine.

Another way would be create the devices directly on a combinator, or, drag the device to the combinator. Mind that you must review the connections inside the combinator.

Good Luck.

gak

03 Mar 2015

Ok, I think I understand this better now, thanks :)  

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:Actually i think you can combine a Combinators. One of the combinators is retained, and the devices inside the other will be placed in it, and the remain combinator is deleted.
But more importantly, any controls or CV inputs on the second Combinator are completely lost, meaning that for most situations this is not an option. Additionally, if there is existing external routing it won't always translate or make sense because some external routing is retained. In other words, the new Combi isn't always routed AFTER the existing devices in the old Combi, meaning they are not actually "combined" audio wise. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

04 Mar 2015

It's perfectly fine to drag/drop stuff in the combinator and do it that way. Thanks again for the explanations.

• Information