Save $30 on Reason 8 Upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ScuzzyEye

27 Feb 2015

I just happened to look to see if there anyone was selling the Reason 8 Upgrade for less than list price. I found both Amazon and B&H Photo have the boxed upgrade for $99. The B&H one is limited until tomorrow, and Amazon appears to have limited stock. So if you were on the fence, and $30 is enough to knock you off, now would be the time to act.

http://www.amazon.com/Propellerhead-100 ... B00MIXEUW6
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... music.html

Yonatan

27 Feb 2015

I would like a direct download instead of getting the box. I tested what it would cost on BH to get it to Europe.
I was surprised they put over 80 dollars for shipment and then over 100 dollars additional taxes...landing well over 300 dollars total for an upgrade outside of the US!
If BH can charge 99 dollars for a box in US, Prop should manage to charge 99 dollars or at least €99 for a direct download after this 6 moths since the realease-date. Who knows what comes next, a free or paid 8.5 or a R9...this spring or in september, because, yes, that matters. I must say that some sort of roadmap would be nice. Apple often have a pace that you can predict quite well. It´s a balance to it, glad surprises are always welcome, but when the behaviour is too shakey and they do not follow up on the R8 line of workflow, but throw in a beta sharing thing suddenly, closing the forum suddenly, and up comes a new web, at least for me, I do not really know what road they are trying to build and if that is what I want to be a part of in the next couple of years. I hope so but need more clarity.  

I am still very much in the liking of the Reason software and love to see where it all goes, but I must admit that I have become more unsure when it comes to buying new REs etc, being Reason exclusive as I have up until now. I hope this will soon get clearer. My worry is: "Do they really manage to get all these pieces together without losing the good spirit and quality in their service and products.". Hope they are not under too much stress because that makes for worse decisions. And yes, it all comes down to the one plattform and that it cost a lot of money to buy REs that one cannot trade or barter, and not use within any other DAW. It´s as if one is putting all the eggs in one basket. For that way to prosper, one needs some faith. And after all questions in the forum and elsewhere, what strikes me the most is that Prop did not do any serious effort to bring some clarity or faith in the community to those developing or buying REs and upgrades. I hope they will change this handling of communication soon, because otherwise it will turn counterwise.

craven

27 Feb 2015

I would buy it for 99$ - however, I think exactly like Yonatan: who knows what's gonna happen next? I should wait for Reason 9. Then again, if a nice device like Pulsar or Synchronous comes with the next point update for free... maybe a roadmap would kill the suspense :)

From Amazon US, delivered to Amsterdam would be almost 120€, not worth the extra trouble

Items:EUR 91,60Shipping & handling:EUR 7,28Total before tax:EUR 98,88Estimated tax to be collected:EUR 0,00Import Fees DepositEUR 20,76Order total:EUR 119,64
:ugeek:

True

27 Feb 2015

craven wrote:I would buy it for 99$ - however, I think exactly like Yonatan: who knows what's gonna happen next? I should wait for Reason 9. Then again, if a nice device like Pulsar or Synchronous comes with the next point update for free... maybe a roadmap would kill the suspense :)
Historically (well, the limited history we have to go by) they haven't done much in the way of including existing REs with an upgrade -- usually if an RE is included it's a new one. They seem to save the "bundles" to entice new users.

craven

27 Feb 2015

craven wrote:I would buy it for 99$ - however, I think exactly like Yonatan: who knows what's gonna happen next? I should wait for Reason 9. Then again, if a nice device like Pulsar or Synchronous comes with the next point update for free... maybe a roadmap would kill the suspense :)
True wrote:
Historically (well, the limited history we have to go by) they haven't done much in the way of including existing REs with an upgrade -- usually if an RE is included it's a new one. They seem to save the "bundles" to entice new users.
yeah, a new device, that's what I meant as well.  I meant Pulsar and Synchronous as examples for devices that we got already with an point-update, not as examples for what I want literally (since I got them already for "free"). I found my text misleading as well, hopefully, I don't make it even worse right now  ;)
:ugeek:

Orion

01 Mar 2015

I would consider an upgrade to R8 for free. Maybe.
Yonatan wrote:I´ve become slightly more cynical when it comes to this software business, having bought from Record and Reason 4 every upgrade, many Refills fullprice, and many RE full price. Partly of that naivity had to do with that I liked the spirit of the small company, knowing that "well, if  we support them, it will eventually come back to us as betterments and more good things.". That thing has been very much broken for me since R8.
That was my logic as well for buying every single version and upgrade since Reason 1.0. Previously, I had pirated most expensive software but I loved Reason and became very loyal to the company. Funny how quickly they were able to destroy that longtime loyalty - something you would think would be precious to any company. I still hold on to some hope that they will get their shit together and work to repair their relationship with so many longtime users.

KEVMOVE02

02 Mar 2015

Orion wrote:I would
Orion wrote:consider
Orion wrote:an upgrade to R8 for free. Maybe.
Yonatan wrote:I´ve become slightly more cynical when it comes to this software business, having bought from Record and Reason 4 every upgrade, many Refills fullprice, and many RE full price. Partly of that naivity had to do with that I liked the spirit of the small company, knowing that "well, if  we support them, it will eventually come back to us as betterments and more good things.". That thing has been very much broken for me since R8.
Orion wrote:
That was my logic as well for buying every single version and upgrade since Reason 1.0. Previously, I had pirated most expensive software but I loved Reason and became very loyal to the company. Funny how quickly they were able to destroy that longtime loyalty - something you would think would be precious to any company. I still hold on to some hope that they will get their shit together and work to repair their relationship with so many longtime users.
So why does Propellerhead (or any company) owe you any loyalty? Did they tell you that your upgrade price would be lower? Did they promise to never give new customers anymore than they have given to existing customers? Or is this a veiled thread: if you don't give me the software free of charge, then I will just take? 

Orion

02 Mar 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:So why does Propellerhead (or any company) owe you any loyalty?
I don't recall saying they owe me jack shit.

I don't have to do business with them, either.

• Information