using external VST on Reason audio/midi?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
tyerac

24 Feb 2015

Hey guys,

Has anyone found out how to route existing reason synths/instruments/audio into external effects VST's either by loopback or sound flower etc (And then back in) without bouncing out the audio and importing into another DAW to use the plugins there?

Lets say I have some audio recorded in reason, how can I route that into say a VST reverb I have and then record back in? (I can figure out how to get it in i'm sure but the routing it out is the bit i'm trying to find a way to do)

I've mastered being able to record VST's and apply VST effects before I record into reason (Committing the sound) But would love to know if anyone has found a way to route the audio/midi into an external VST using the midi out or other way?

Thanks in advance!
I'm keeping it ALL in Reason.... Within Reason.

QVprod

24 Feb 2015

Hardware interface audio outputs . You'd have to manually route the cables though.

tyerac

24 Feb 2015

Thanks.. Do you have a diagram or quick instruction on how to do that? Do I take the audio output, route it back in, add effect and then back out?

I'm using a Saffire pro 40 with loopback, so i might be able to use the loopback to send the audio to the desired vst effect?

I'm keeping it ALL in Reason.... Within Reason.

QVprod

25 Feb 2015

If you're doing individual channels, route the direct output to your audio output of choice and route that to the effect. You then have to route that to an input (like you would for recording instruments) and record it to a new track.

Or alternatively you can route the track insert fx (To Device) to an output instead of using the direct out, and route return signal into  "From Device" in the insert fx or simply just into the next device in the chain of fx. You would still have to print this later though. 

You can do the same with the Send fx.

Just note that this process is a quite a bit more time consuming than just bouncing to another daw especially for multiple tracks considering the routing and the real-time bouncing it requires. If Soundflower works well for you I'd recommend that over the loopback if you're doing more than one track.

• Information