Controlling external VST - New Video

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
tyerac

23 Feb 2015

Hi guy's,

I made a youtube video last week to help show how I record external VST's/AU's in Reason. Difference is I can also record VST effects on the instrument too. Figured i'd post here if anyone could find some use out of it.

I'm keeping it ALL in Reason.... Within Reason.

Olivier

23 Feb 2015

Thorough demonstration :)

About the loopback, a method that works when you don't have a software loopback is making an external digital loopback directly on your interface. Not by using two interfaces, but by using just 1. All you need is a free pair of digital IO's  on your interface. I've done this with S/PDIF on my Tascam US144 and by connecting a toslink cable on my MOTU 828 MK3. I'm quite sure the method will work with other interfaces too.
With S/PDIF this works great for just recording VST's, but if you want two way use ADAT for a total of 8 available channels. Just be carefull not to create feedback loops :P
Other then that, it works like a charm !
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

tyerac

24 Feb 2015

@eauhm - Yes I actually used to run this with 2 interfaces via digital out until one broke :-(  I stumbled on this VSTHost software and its been brilliant alongside my loopback with the focus rite saffire pro 40. Anyone figured out how to use VST effects on existing reason audio without bouncing it out into another DAW/Rewire?
I'm keeping it ALL in Reason.... Within Reason.

• Information