Let It Slide [Electro] - Subtle use of Selig Leveler on Master Bus

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Tincture

19 Feb 2015

https://www.soundcloud.com/tincture-1/let-it-slide

Electro/Breaks/...(?)
My right monitor has broken and won't power up! Tried the usual fixes (cables, fuses etc) but must be internal. So that's now my Sennheiser headphones and monitors up the spout! So, this was mixed on my £15 Philips closed back headphones (as usual really) but without any final sorting out. It did sound ok on my hi-fi speakers (4") tho' and I just have a feeling with comparison to my other stuff that the mix is ok. Let me know.
I made subtle use of Selig's Leveler on the Master Bus of this one (100% Reason) and it really brought things up nicely. There are a few "artifacts" that might not sound great on a subtle guitar track but I think they add to the ambience here and am pleased with the results. (pls let me know if it sounds bad on your set-up).

Edit: BTW if you can hear a noise floor... that isn't the Leveler bringing that up, it's Futzbox noise from the main Arp that I left running (and edited the level at various points) even when the Arp wasn't playing. I've found that a bit of noise can really help bring out other things... (IMO)

Soft Enerji

20 Feb 2015

my boys and I are lovin' it dude..........nice work!

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2015

Hi Mr Scott

Sorry to hear about your monitors. I find life has a way of doing these things to give you the opportunity to learn something new and even to go up a floor.

Without any reference to what you think it should sound like the elements are balanced just fine but the overall sound is perhaps too dry or "unpolished". Matter of fact once I accept that, it sounds rather 1995 which has a charm of its own.

The piece is amusing and worth hearing a few times.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

NATZure

21 Feb 2015

Nice harmonies! I think a subbass would be cool, or more lowend to the kick. There should be some space for more power in the 30-60Hz area. Really nice changes as the track progresses. I also like to change my tracks in the midle of teh song or at the ending :D  

Tincture

21 Feb 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:my boys and I are lovin' it dude..........nice work!
Thanks! Glad your boys liked it too, it's quite a fun track :)

Tincture

21 Feb 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi Mr Scott

Sorry to hear about your monitors. I find life has a way of doing these things to give you the opportunity to learn something new and even to go up a floor.

Without any reference to what you think it should sound like the elements are balanced just fine but the overall sound is perhaps too dry or "unpolished". Matter of fact once I accept that, it sounds rather 1995 which has a charm of its own.

The piece is amusing and worth hearing a few times.

:)
I am gutted about my monitor, might have to try and trace the issue myself.

1995... not quite what I was going for but yes, my tracks are on the raw side :)

Tincture

21 Feb 2015

Scoobyman II wrote:I enjoyed it. Listened a couple times.
Thanks Matt. Hope your latest gets some more attention, it deserves it.

Tincture

21 Feb 2015

NATZure wrote:Nice harmonies! I think a subbass would be cool, or more lowend to the kick. There should be some space for more power in the 30-60Hz area. Really nice changes as the track progresses. I also like to change my tracks in the midle of teh song or at the ending :D  
You are right about the 30-60Hz region... I might try and see what I can do about that, thanks :)

Emian

25 Feb 2015

sorry about your Monitors Zac !

but on the other hand, i don't even own monitors, & i manage with my Beyerdynamics headphones fine i guess :)

spacy track you did, i agree with an above poster you need a bit more sub to your kick. your "speechsynthsounds" are funny, thats that DLD RE, right ?  i got to get me a trial on that one it seems :)
i like the bass-synth added towards the end of the track (3:45) it feels in that moment  your bass area is fully covered.
happy ARP tune too, very addictive yet not getting boring...

Cheers !

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

ionly

25 Feb 2015

Cool tune, and catchy. I like the dry vibe, but a pinch of quirky reverb-tails on the vocal might add something imo. Let it slide indeed :D

Tincture

26 Feb 2015

Emian wrote: sorry about your Monitors Zac !

but on the other hand, i don't even own monitors, & i manage with my Beyerdynamics headphones fine i guess :)

spacy track you did, i agree with an above poster you need a bit more sub to your kick. your "speechsynthsounds" are funny, thats that DLD RE, right ?  i got to get me a trial on that one it seems :)
i like the bass-synth added towards the end of the track (3:45) it feels in that moment  your bass area is fully covered.
happy ARP tune too, very addictive yet not getting boring...

Cheers !
Thanks Jan. Yeah, I have been lucky to have monitors, I'm going to miss them!

I love Speak nTweak, it's such good fun and very good value IMO. Good to hear confirmation about the sub-bass region... I've got an idea what I'd do for that if I come back to it :)

Tincture

26 Feb 2015

ionly wrote:Cool tune, and catchy. I like the dry vibe, but a pinch of quirky reverb-tails on the vocal might add something imo. Let it slide indeed :D
Thanks :) Yes, it's funny that I haven't tried the usual things I do for vocals because it's a synth. Will give that a try, thanks.

• Information