should I buy a Scarlett 2i2?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
polardozer

17 Feb 2015

I'm looking for an interface, I've gone to my local music store, and talked to the guy in that department, and he reccomended it highly. 

So, what would you guys say? if you've used one, or own one, just say any problems, or whatever you like (Or don't) about it.

Thanks, Polar

Tincture

17 Feb 2015

I've got one and it does what I want of it. The inputs are a bit "hot" though. So for guitar I have to have Gain all the way down most of the time. It hasn't really been an issue for me but if you use active circuitry or some pre-processing maybe it could be?

For basic needs it's fine but when I get another interface I'll be looking for MIDI and loop-back capability so that I can make use of Reason's MIDI-Out.

pushedbutton

17 Feb 2015

Zac Scott wrote:I've got one and it does what I want of it. The inputs are a bit "hot" though. So for guitar I have to have Gain all the way down most of the time. It hasn't really been an issue for me but if you use active circuitry or some pre-processing maybe it could be?

For basic needs it's fine but when I get another interface I'll be looking for MIDI and loop-back capability so that I can make use of Reason's MIDI-Out.
Isn't there some configuration software to set your levels? I use a sapphire pro 24 at work and you can configure it using a standalone program.

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Ayello

17 Feb 2015

I got one , it works fine, no problems at all. I m on a Macbookpro Osx 8.10.5
What i like is the simplicity.
Just before a friend lend me his RME babyface...the "sound " was , to me a little better than the Scarlett, but with the RME you gotta use an mixing editor software, i never understand how it worked.
I super happy with the Scarlett 2/2

jonheal

17 Feb 2015

I've got one. But I think it is more or less responsible for bluescreening my Windows 7 box from time to time. That said, the PreSonus One box upstairs bluescreens the computer up there from time to time, too. So I guess them's are just the breaks.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

jonheal

17 Feb 2015

Zac Scott wrote:I've got one and it does what I want of it. The inputs are a bit "hot" though. So for guitar I have to have Gain all the way down most of the time. It hasn't really been an issue for me but if you use active circuitry or some pre-processing maybe it could be?

pushedbutton wrote:
Isn't there some configuration software to set your levels? I use a sapphire pro 24 at work and you can configure it using a standalone program.
I guess you could use the computer's volume setting to attenuate the input from the 2i2, but no, the 2i2 includes no software to attenuate its output, only the mechanical pot on the input.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

raymondh

18 Feb 2015

The 2i2 does not use the Mix Control software that the upper range Scarlett and Sapphire interfaces use, so it doesn't have that level of flexibility.
If you plug in a stereo input (ie use the two inputs as L R from a synth), you can record in stereo, but you cannot direct monitor in stereo, you'll direct monitor as two mono sources. I found that very frustrating.

Otherwise, the sound quality is supreme, it worked very reliably, was easy to set up and the latency was pretty low (7 ms) on my Windows PC.

If you have a few synths you want to process, I'd recommend a different interface, if you don't, this is an excellent interface.

tibah

18 Feb 2015

I would like to throw in the UR22 by Steinberg. About the same price (10€ cheaper), great features (offers MIDI in/out) and solid build quality. :)

polardozer

18 Feb 2015

I wod be using a microkorg, but that's about it, I'd use a guitar as well.

djfm1983

23 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:I've got one. But I think it is more or less responsible for bluescreening my Windows 7 box from time to time. That said, the PreSonus One box upstairs bluescreens the computer up there from time to time, too. So I guess them's are just the breaks.
It's gotta be something else causing your blue screens I've had mine for a long time and never once gas happened to me. Guessing by the other interface doing the same thing it's something else you have setup.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

Gorilla Texas

23 Feb 2015

I got a 2i4 and it's starting to piss me off. The audio drivers keep losing sync with my DAW I have to restart my computer daily,once I do it works all day but if I try to use it the next day I have to restart my computer for it to sync, it never use to do this. I have the latest drivers too.

virtualpt

23 Feb 2015

My girlfiend has one & has never had any issues with it. Sound quality is good. She does use a Mac.

• Information