Travel Destinations for the World Weary - new album 100% Reason 8

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2015

Hi All

It is finally album time again. This one is called "Travel Destinations for the World Weary". Style is as usual Space Music but this time the overall themes are a little (to a fair bit) darker. As always everything is 100% Reason with most composed, mixed, mastered etc in Reason 8.

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com ... orld-weary

or

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/02/15 ... rld-weary/
use this link if you want to read more about the tracks, or if you can only hear with pictures then click these:

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2015

video 2 as forum won't accept two in the same post

[video]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yznAR6z7zqw[/video]

hmmm, wont accept this one either.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yznAR6z7zqw

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2015

Bump. Any takers?

If you don't like it for some (valid) reason you can say.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Leighbeater

18 Feb 2015

Hey we liked that one that was on YouTube - we being myself, my 4 year old and my 1 and half year old daughters

Nice graphics in the video as well, where did you get them from?

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2015

Thanks

I made the slides in Inkscape using a Gradient Designer then put it together in Win Movie Maker which does the animations.

The video (not) in the second post was photos of the sky from the waterside at dusk. Many of the photos had buildings etc edited out in Gimp. Movie was compiled in the same editor.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Tincture

19 Feb 2015

I just skimmed the 1st two tracks Benedict and really like the feel that you've gone for but it's obvious that this needs a dedicated hour to give you any real feedback ... I'll be back :)

raymondh

19 Feb 2015

Hi Benedict

Great album. I haven't listened to all of it yet but immediately hear elements of Vangelis, Jarre, Chicane and Ultravox :)

You really play with sound design and soundscapes and you do it so well.

cheers, Raymond

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2015

Thanks guys

Mr Scott you are dead right that my music really needs a proper listen as it doesn't really come out on 15 second grabs. Unless perhaps you already have a grounding in Berlin School etc.

Mr Hayter I am somewhat taken aback by the Chicane reference so I am having a listen to see why you say that. Listened to the YouTube playlist (I assume you mean the Trance guy) and I don't get it but thanks anyway.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Philup

22 Feb 2015

Liking the one in the vid quite a bit. Esp the happy/melancholy ELO vibe around 2:33. 

Soft Enerji

22 Feb 2015

As already noted, there is no way I can listen to the whole thing before commenting. Listening The Deep Deeps.............nice.........

One bit of CC though.........is that china(?) cymbal maybe a bit overpowering in places?

Best

Mark

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2015

Thanks guys

Mr Enerji the cymbals are the ReFill that Selig made for us when someone asked about samples of rolls back in the PUF. It is actually a really big sound. Quite different from what I expected based on what I hear in something like a Vangelis piece. I guess it could have been quieter at times but in the mix I really liked the 70's Prog sort of feel it brought so I let it play big. Otherwise the piece is quite open and almost Asian in feel. Either way I do agree that it is unusual to push them so far forward in the mix - just felt right - remember every one of these pieces has a dark side :)

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Emian

22 Feb 2015

Hey Benedict !

I respect what you do ! Your music is not my cup of thea, but on the other hand; your sound-engineer skills are great man !!!!!
i'm jealous of someone who owns the skill of mastering many soft-synths, wich you obviously do ;)
(maybe i should take some time of getting to know synthesis...)

Good luck on your project !

greeting !

Jan

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2015

Hi Jan

Thanks. I think it is great when we can not be into something personally but still respect that it is of value. It makes a community work well but it also sets people on the path of true music. I know my music improved when I DJ'd and realized that S Club 7 were a lot of fun even if I didn't want to own the record.

BTW the 'trick' is to master one synth and the rest will follow. It is a Zen thing.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Emian

23 Feb 2015

i really should invest time in getting to know my synths toroughly....

i believe mastering Subtractor is a good starting point, no ?

Greets !

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2015

Hi

I really wouldn't say there is any synth that is much better than another as it is the act of knowing an instrument inside out (so to speak) which helps you "learn how it thinks". My first synth was a Casio CZ-1000 which had a reputation for being a pain to program as it was all under those membrane buttons. What I think it did was make me see "the big picture" so I could understand how changing one part affected another. My next instrument was an Emu Emax I (then II) and they weren't much better but I totally loved them as in my mind I could "see" everything, even tho they were in a flat Matrix Menu.

borrowed from vintagesynth.com (right side is the whole programmer except waves in center)

(far right buttons + printed menu is the whole programmer)

To be fair, seeing the big picture is my greatest talent/curse so naturally I tend to operate from that. Best to know what your natural mode is and work from that to understand one instrument like Sub or Thor so well you can use it to do anything you think. Once you get that way of understanding the single chosen instrument then it is easier to transfer to another instrument (altho you will find it far less necessary) so choose an instrument you naturally like as this will be your wife.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

darkmode

23 Feb 2015

Cool album mate. I'm about half way through, (time to hit the sack soon) and will get back to it.

I echo what has been said already, great ambiance and sound work. Love it!

Scoobyman II

24 Feb 2015

Cool album indeed. I like the cymbals in the beginning. I bought the whole thing. It's great for background when writing.

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2015

Thanks Mr Mode

Mr Man II thanks so much for the purchase, and that is exactly one of my intended purposes.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

ionly

24 Feb 2015

Helium Clouds Of Saturn is a beautiful piece, reminds me of Bladerunner

• Information