What's your top 5 64bit synths right now?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Gorilla Texas

13 Feb 2015

What vsti synths do you consider top of the line and why?

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2015

Thor

Oh hang on you said VSTi. Well I don't really use them but I have tried a few lately to see. The overall feeling I get is that they are clunky. Sure some sound pretty good but the overall workflow seems pretty inelegant compared to Reason so in reality I will stay with Thor which can match most of whatever is out there. I will make a sound and then duplicate it with Reason.

Arturia Matrix 12-V is pretty nice but just not worth the money compared to Thor for the few tricks it has.

uhe ACE is a contender and I would be happy to see that as an RE but not with the CPU usage

Tone 2 Electra sounds pretty good and in theory can cover a lot of ground but just seems half-baked so not a joy to use

Up to you to find what works for you as what I like may not float your boat at all

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

normen

14 Feb 2015

Benedict wrote:uhe ACE is a contender and I would be happy to see that as an RE but not with the CPU usage
U-He stuff is actually using 32bit signal flow.. (Though I generally don't see why the bit depth should be a measure of a synths excellence)

ScuzzyEye

14 Feb 2015

I was thinking he meant synths that were available as X64, 64-bit VSTs, so his 64-bit hosting application wouldn't have to use any 32-bit bridging software.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat, don't use VSTs, other than a couple of freebies I've played around with in Mixbus and Ableton, just to see what they do.

Gorilla Texas

14 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:I was thinking he meant synths that were available as X64, 64-bit VSTs, so his 64-bit hosting application wouldn't have to use any 32-bit bridging software.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat, don't use VSTs, other than a couple of freebies I've played around with in Mixbus and Ableton, just to see what they do.
Right that's what I meant and I guess this is the wrong forum for vst questions.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2015

Mr44Hz wrote: Right that's what I meant and I guess this is the wrong forum for vst questions.
It's about community really, I mean you could ask the same question at tweakheadz, kvr or gearslutz. Nothing wrong with asking in this subforum.

Personally I'd have said the Korg Legacy collection. It comes with great sounding analogue and digital synths plus world class programming courtesy of Korg.

That being said it all depends on what type of sound you are after.

Gorilla Texas

14 Feb 2015

Mr44Hz wrote: Right that's what I meant and I guess this is the wrong forum for vst questions.
avasopht wrote:
It's about community really, I mean you could ask the same question at tweakheadz, kvr or gearslutz. Nothing wrong with asking in this subforum.

Personally I'd have said the Korg Legacy collection. It comes with great sounding analogue and digital synths plus world class programming courtesy of Korg.

That being said it all depends on what type of sound you are after.
I should've ask what are the most popular synths out now and look at them and decide which one I like best. I really don't keep up with the latest fads to busy. I looking for a synth for dance/trap sounds,don't really care if it sounds analogue just good with a lot of sound design tools. Looking at Serum right now.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2015

Mr44Hz wrote: I should've ask what are the most popular synths out now and look at them and decide which one I like best. I really don't keep up with the latest fads to busy. I looking for a synth for dance/trap sounds,don't really care if it sounds analogue just good with a lot of sound design tools. Looking at Serum right now.
How about Studio Linked, Trap Bang?

The requirements for trap / dance are really low, .. you can do fine with the subtractor and scream, it's the patches that count.

Gorilla Texas

14 Feb 2015

Mr44Hz wrote: I should've ask what are the most popular synths out now and look at them and decide which one I like best. I really don't keep up with the latest fads to busy. I looking for a synth for dance/trap sounds,don't really care if it sounds analogue just good with a lot of sound design tools. Looking at Serum right now.
avasopht wrote:
How about
avasopht wrote:?

The requirements for trap / dance are really low, .. you can do fine with the subtractor and scream, it's the patches that count.
Good looking out bruh.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2015

The patches require the full version however I believe requiring the full version might mean it's the unencrypted version which allows access to all the wave files so you could load them into another sampler. Just check with them beforehand to make sure.

eXode

14 Feb 2015

No specific order:

Reveal Sound Spire - Because it's great for anything electronic really, modern EDM in particular
Synapse Audio Dune 2 - Different scope than Spire, very powerful structure.
u-he Diva - Still the n1 analogue emulation (in my opinion)
u-he Zebra - Swiss army knife capable of a lot of things.
Native Instruments Massive - Defining esp in the Dubstep genre.

These are my choices for EDM in particular. Depending on focus/style I would replace one of these with either Native Instruments FM8 and/or Absynth.

If I would be hard pressed and could only choose one I'd go for either DUNE 2 or Spire (I'd have a really hard time choosing between those two).

Hope that helps a little. :)

tibah

14 Feb 2015

Tone2 Saurus - It's just my favorite plug-in synth
Madrona Labs Aalto - Fun to use, great sounding, weirdness
Steinberg Padshop - Granular done in very easy fashion
Tone2 Firebird - Simple architecture with a lot of ground to explore, little brother to Gladiator and freeware
FXpansion Cypher - Part of the DCAM: Synth Squad, lovely quirkyness

Gorilla Texas

14 Feb 2015

eXode wrote:No specific order:

Reveal Sound Spire - Because it's great for anything electronic really, modern EDM in particular

These are my choices for EDM in particular. Depending on focus/style I would replace one of these with either Native Instruments FM8 and/or Absynth.

If I would be hard pressed and could only choose one I'd go for either DUNE 2 or Spire (I'd have a really hard time choosing between those two).

Thanks for your input.

Gorilla Texas

14 Feb 2015

IchMensch wrote:Tone2 Saurus - It's just my favorite plug-in synth
Madrona Labs Aalto - Fun to use, great sounding, weirdness
Steinberg Padshop - Granular done in very easy fashion
Tone2 Firebird - Simple architecture with a lot of ground to explore, little brother to Gladiator and freeware
FXpansion Cypher - Part of the DCAM: Synth Squad, lovely quirkyness
Thanks will check those out.

The Intrancer

15 Feb 2015

Other than the amazing and also free Reaktor ensembles...If you're looking at EDM/Ambient...and whilst still to reach final completion this is one you should check out. UHE's Hive.
Hive is also available for purchase at the introductory price of $99 (+ VAT in EU) for a limited time (the regular price will be $149 (+ VAT in EU)). The purchased serial number will work with both public beta and final version of Hive.

Razor whilst a few years old now is still unique and still holds it's own against todays latest synths.

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

Gorilla Texas

15 Feb 2015

The Intrancer wrote:Other than the amazing and also free Reaktor ensembles...If you're looking at EDM/Ambient...and whilst still to reach final completion this is one you should check out. UHE's Hive.
Hive is also available for purchase at the introductory price of $99 (+ VAT in EU) for a limited time (the regular price will be $149 (+ VAT in EU)). The purchased serial number will work with both public beta and final version of Hive.
The Intrancer wrote:

Where can you go to listen to it. Went to the uhe site with no luck.

The Intrancer

15 Feb 2015

Check out this dude he's has a few video's on it worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... KRAepj6zYo
AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

beatmincer

23 Feb 2015

Hey Exode,

I was just going to reply when I saw your post, spot on! These are all top quality VST:s with their own character.

I managed to recreate the shrill wobble sound from Skrillex "Bun dem" using Massive.
IMHO, Massive, FM8 and lately u-he Hive, not to forget Sylenth1, stand above the rest. 

There is an excellent Thor replacement in FAW Circle, it's architecture looks very similar to Thor.
eXode wrote:No specific order:

Data_Shrine

26 Feb 2015

Only a top 2 for me :

Monark - Nice & phat Minimoog Model D emulation. A bit limited because there are no audio inputs, unless you can rig it if you have full Reaktor version.
Wavestation - Great for ethereal sounds that evolves over time, and everything that sounds like sc-fi tv shows from the early 90's. Very complex.

• Information