Question on Chorus/Flanger internals

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
orthodox
RE Developer

12 Feb 2015

I just found that comb delay times stay the same when sample rate changes.
A sample delay line can only provide exact multiples of sample period.
How do they do this, what do you think?
Does anybody know if they use oversampling?

ScuzzyEye

12 Feb 2015

They probably change the delay buffer size to be the same multiple of the sample rate.

Thor doesn't over-sample, I really doubt one of the oldest, most CPU efficient devices would.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:They probably change the delay buffer size to be the same multiple of the sample rate.
I checked it, the frequencies of comb drops do not divide the sample rate.

normen

12 Feb 2015

If you'd just move a delay in sample increments you'd get all kinds of noises so I guess they have to do it functional anyway. A row of samples is just a description of the wave function (sampled audio isn't stair steps), like f(x) = y where x is the sample #. When the sound is generated in a synth you're not bound to having integer values for x at all and if you actually have samples coming into a standalone device you can reconstruct a function from the samples (e.g. using bicubic interpolation).

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Feb 2015

normen wrote:you can reconstruct a function from the samples (e.g. using bicubic interpolation).
Yes, that's exactly what I meant by oversampling.

The delay can be controlled by built-in LFO or CV input, and I guess that curve is continuous, so there can be delay values that don't correspond to any discrete delay knob setting.

normen

12 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I meant by oversampling. The delay can be controlled by built-in LFO or CV input, and I guess that curve is continuous, so there can be delay values that don't correspond to any discrete delay knob setting.
Mhm, but for me oversampling is something where you get more samples out than you put in, then you have to downsample again which is way more problematic.. I guess thats just terminology though. CV values actually only get updated in 64 sample batches so those would have to be interpolated in some way too. For many things you can get away with simply crossfading between two sets of samples though, one with the initial values and one with the final values.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Feb 2015

normen wrote:CV values actually only get updated in 64 sample batches so those would have to be interpolated in some way too.
It's not important. Nobody will notice the effect change in 64 sample time. While I can make the CV change really slow and see that the comb drops on analyzer graph are moving continuously on frequency scale.
Crossfading would make one drop gradually disappear while the new drop shows up.

ScuzzyEye

12 Feb 2015

Even linear interpolation would work fine, and is very CPU efficient. That would allow you to shift the samples by fractional parts, and still have the same number of samples in vs. out. That would be the same as cross fading one sample to the next. So when you're at a half sample shift, the new samples would be created from proceeding and following samples added together and multiplied by 0.5.

But any curve could be used to estimate the values of the partial sample shifts.

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Even linear interpolation would work fine
It would not.
It would ring at other frequencies with a very large relative amplitude (1-cos(Ï€ f/fs)).

There are several accepted methods of resampling, they probably picked one.

ScuzzyEye

13 Feb 2015

We are talking about the red, half-rack device? It probably uses linear interpolation, because it requires almost no CPU power.

Have a look at it in send mode with no feedback. It rings by how much I would expect linear interpolation would.

Linear interpolation is fine for a device that's whole purpose is to create comb filtering, and is designed to run on an average CPU available 15 years ago.

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:We are talking about the red, half-rack device? It probably uses linear interpolation, because it requires almost no CPU power.
There are other ways of resampling using LP filters that also require almost no CPU power.
ScuzzyEye wrote:Have a look at it in send mode with no feedback. It rings by how much I would expect linear interpolation would.
I did. Send mode:
Insert mode:
It's pretty clean, not what I would expect from linear interpolation.

Attachments
sweep-combed-96k.PNG
sweep-combed-96k.PNG (78.85 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

ScuzzyEye

13 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:It's pretty clean, not what I would expect from linear interpolation.
You're expecting a lot worse from linear than it usually delivers. A -48 dB side-band lobe is pretty typical, it doesn't always present the worse case scenario.

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:You're expecting a lot worse from linear than it usually delivers.
You're right. I just implemented that neighbor-wise linear interpolation and got the same picture:
I incorrectly imagined random phase shifts on fractional delay when they were equal.

Attachments
sweep-comb-linint.PNG
sweep-comb-linint.PNG (74.42 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

ScuzzyEye

13 Feb 2015

My DSP background was originally in image processing. I used to know the characteristics of just about interpolation system known to man.

I'll admit that my first comment about it being linear was just a guess. A guess, but based on how I would have done it 15 years ago, if I wanted a real-time system for computing the values between samples. Though, when I had a look at what it did to a 1 kHz sine wave, I was pretty sure my guess was right. I'm happy you went to the effort to actually test it.

Now, if there was only use for Akima's method in audio processing, my years of working with pictures could be put to use.

normen

13 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:My DSP background was originally in image processing. I used to know the characteristics of just about interpolation system known to man.

I'll admit that my first comment about it being linear was just a guess. A guess, but based on how I would have done it 15 years ago, if I wanted a real-time system for computing the values between samples. Though, when I had a look at what it did to a 1 kHz sine wave, I was pretty sure my guess was right. I'm happy you went to the effort to actually test it.

Now, if there was only use for Akima's method in audio processing, my years of working with pictures could be put to use.
When you work in the frequency domain (with a FFT decoded wave that is) the processing is basically the same as image processing, sounds like good news for you ;)

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

Interpolation is what is commonly used in digital delays IIRC, not oversampling. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

selig wrote:Interpolation is what is commonly used in digital delays IIRC, not oversampling. :)
Well, me speaks English bad, always called it that way.
Gone reading canonical literature.

• Information