You can't make this stuff up: Audiophile Ethernet Cables…

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
normen

12 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote:Nobody denies conservation of electric charge or Kirchhoff's circuit laws.
The emf at the end and overall current will be different for high frequencies.

Here is a simple passive device which works differently depending on direction (R1≠R2):
Well okay, if you have basically two circuits then obviously they behave different, its like comparing the input and output of a compressor and saying its one circuit because it uses the same ground.. Thats way off the discussion though.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Feb 2015

normen wrote:if you have basically two circuits
Turning an asymmetric (in resistance or thickness) cable the other way around is just the same, you will have basically two circuits.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2015

"Now, with a devilish grin on my face I'll send you my bill for this therapy and counsel in the mail today."

Best

audiophile

Thread

Ever!!!!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2015

Some 15ish years ago I was writing for a audiophile magazine. I was writing stuff aimed at the low-mid audio gear/entry level, 1000-1500 usd stuff.

We had a big comparison article, with 6 different midi stereos ( 4 devices on a single combo ), and I took a leveling aproach. Grunding had this awkward looking device with cased drivers, something precutory the current sound bars and I hated the sound of it. It resembled a spaceship, was functionally good as the others but it really sounded like crap.

So I bashed the thing as if it was dog poo, but I was called in by the magazines director to review my article...

What I mean whith this is that when you work at this kind of magazines you depend on the brands, and its not good to slay a device. I remember the director, a really nice guy that ended firing me because I was too stubborn and also delayed to articles too much time. And I'm not being ironic, I really think he was a nice guy.

So if you have this kind of pressure on an idoneous magazine I can only expect the same or even worse from the brands marketeers. :)

Anyway, i think i have an interesting article about comparison of different nas for audio, I think it was fun to read, because the guy is testing 2 nas and an hdd and swear he hears different results....

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

normen wrote:if you have basically two circuits
orthodox wrote: Turning an asymmetric (in resistance or thickness) cable the other way around is just the same, you will have basically two circuits.
What is an asymmetric cable?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

selig wrote:What is an asymmetric cable?
Is it a statement? :)

reason2dance

14 Feb 2015

Maybe unbalanced? In Germany they sometimes/often call balanced cables "symmetric" cables.

selig
RE Developer

14 Feb 2015

orthodox wrote: Is it a statement? :)
It's a question! 
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

selig wrote:It's a question! 
Well, that's a trivial question. I guess you have some other cause or grounds for that. I sense a trap. :)
Maybe I am wrong to doubt that, for which I apologize. I just prefer the discussion to go in the manner of putting up one's own propositions.

Regarding asymmetry.
Yes difference in cable properties relative to turnaround does not necessarily lead to difference in cable response. In a model where cable segments (maybe infinitesimal) are replaced by equivalent RLC curcuits, every such segment's response is described by a complex function, which commute in integration.
So far I cannot offer an example of such a model that would show response asymmetry.

selig
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

I was wondering if YOUR question was a trap - how could you not know my question was a question after all!!!   ;)

Seriously, I literally have no idea if an asymmetrical cable such as you mention is theoretical, or it's a product currently on the market. You mention an "asymmetric cable" like it's something common, yet I'm not familiar with that term so I ask so I don't contribute wrongly to the thread.

One thing you'll never get from me is a "trap question". What you see it what you get!

The question remains that you seem to keep implying that electricity DOES flow in one direction and not the other (at least under certain conditions) - or am I reading you wrong here?

Maybe I'm totally missing your point, in which case it is I who am apologizing to you!

Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

selig wrote:The question remains that you seem to keep implying that electricity DOES flow in one direction and not the other (at least under certain conditions) - or am I reading you wrong here?
I mean that exchanging places of an emf source and electrical load in a circuit may result in different current, both overall and that through the load. If that circuit has internal leaks, resistive or reactive.

selig
RE Developer

15 Feb 2015

selig wrote:The question remains that you seem to keep implying that electricity DOES flow in one direction and not the other (at least under certain conditions) - or am I reading you wrong here?
orthodox wrote: I mean that exchanging places of an emf source and electrical load in a circuit may result in different current, both overall and that through the load. If that circuit has internal leaks, resistive or reactive.
OK, not sure if this relates to the idea of how electrons flow (sounds more like a typical signal flow concept), but I think I'm following the basics of what you're saying!
Selig Audio, LLC

elMisse

16 Feb 2015

In some cases the shieldings grounding is lifted from the source-end, so that could make a audio interconnect "directional" in a sense... ?

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

elMisse wrote:In some cases the shieldings grounding is lifted from the source-end, so that could make a audio interconnect "directional" in a sense... ?

Yes (similar to the guitar cable intended to not 'buzz' your amp when you plug it in and unplug it), and one could say the same about microphone cables (!), but it's not the same thing as saying electricity is directional…

Selig Audio, LLC

elMisse

16 Feb 2015

selig wrote: Yes (similar to the guitar cable intended to not 'buzz' your amp when you plug it in and unplug it), and one could say the same about microphone cables (!), but it's not the same thing as saying electricity is directional…
Just a few years back when I purchased some audiocables, the seller gave me advice to turn them around every few months, so all the electrons wouldn't pack on the other end.
I had to ask if it would balance things to set the cables to run a bit uphill from the source to the amp. :D

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

selig wrote: Yes (similar to the guitar cable intended to not 'buzz' your amp when you plug it in and unplug it), and one could say the same about microphone cables (!), but it's not the same thing as saying electricity is directional…
elMisse wrote:
Just a few years back when I purchased some audiocables, the seller gave me advice to turn them around every few months, so all the electrons wouldn't pack on the other end.
I had to ask if it would balance things to set the cables to run a bit uphill from the source to the amp. :D
That's a good one! Could have also asked if "shaking them out" periodically would help loosen up those packed in electrons…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

trimph1

20 Feb 2015

Those things need fish capacitors though...

Another one...

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

You need these with those cables....
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

CharlyCharlzz

20 Feb 2015

I can say that normal hi-fi cables (the one's at 80ct the meter) pick a lot more crap when you are in a place with lots of parrasite fréquences like radio wavs then the ones that cost 3frs the meter .

the only place these could be legit in would be a home of an electrosensitive guy or the spacestation IMO but I dont really know much about electric conducts apart from the Franklin history basics ....and maybe the transconductors of my quantum computer :D .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

C//AZM

01 Mar 2015

Those connectors are nice though. The little plastic thingy seems to always get broken. I'd pay $10 for those.

• Information