4Dyne compared to VST Plugins like Waves C6?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MDTerps2015

15 Feb 2015

I think you will be happy with 4 dyne. I think its a good extension. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Emian

15 Feb 2015

hey !

i bought 4dyne in the Black Friday sales, i allready had FET, but 4dyne on a mix; it does nice things ! the break-outputs on the back are a nice unique RE thing as well ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

sleeper0013

20 Feb 2015

Im using 2 4dyns in my Mastering chain for 8 band compression. These are run out of the Yoko, One for 4D high pass and one for low pass. I would suggest every one experiment with this as it allows for more specific frequency band control. Of course this is run into my own Mid/Side processing braid Which runs into a Dcam bus comp for an over all glue. I am very happy with the masters i'm producing.

Last Alternative

21 Feb 2015

Actually I'm waiting for Propellerhead to make a stock multi-band but it might never happen since they pretty much stopped being creative and rely on 3rd party RE developers to do everything for them now. It sux. But IF they did make their own it would be awesome.

I don't mean to change the subject but do you guys ever use multi-band compression on bass?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

selig
RE Developer

21 Feb 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Actually I'm waiting for Propellerhead to make a stock multi-band but it might never happen since they pretty much stopped being creative and rely on 3rd party RE developers to do everything for them now. It sux. But IF they did make their own it would be awesome.

I don't mean to change the subject but do you guys ever use multi-band compression on bass?
I'll jump in with my two cents. My first question would always be "why"? My answer would always be "yes, if it needs it/if it sounds better in the mix with it". ;)

With multi band you are addressing the different parts of the spectrum differently with regards to dynamics. The only reason why you would need/want to do this is if you are presented with a sound that has a different dynamic envelope at different areas of the frequency spectrum, like a mix with heavy low bass AND bright percussion AND a vocal in the mid range (or similar).

Multiband compression can also work on a solo vocal track since you can have a vocal with even mids but uneven highs (sibilance or upper-range harshness comes to mind here). The idea is that the upper band will compress the HF (sibilance) when it's present, but ignore that band when it's not.

But with a bass, you mostly have an even spectrum between the major spectral areas. One exception that I can think of might be an old school funk/thump bass where there is a TON of HF energy on the thumps/plucks but little on the notes played with fingers. Multiband would take care of the HF energy on only the notes that needed it, and leave it alone on the notes that didn't. This could possibly also help with dub step type basses that have HF energy, but with this sort of sound you can possibly more easily address it at the source IMO. I'm sure there's something else I'm overlooking, but the idea is that multi band helps most on sources where different parts of the spectrum have a different dynamic envelope than others. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

clone

22 Feb 2015

I just purchased my first RE: and it was DCAMP bus! Been checking it out for some time. After seeing the multi band with DCAMP I was sold! It sounds great!

bflatinum

15 Mar 2015

Is anyone having any issues with 4DYNE where the beginning of your rendered song fades in quickly? I have it on my mastering chain, and every song that I render ends up fading in quickly rather than having the beat on the first count. It's kind of annoying.

JNeffLind

15 Mar 2015

bflatinum wrote:Is anyone having any issues with 4DYNE where the beginning of your rendered song fades in quickly? I have it on my mastering chain, and every song that I render ends up fading in quickly rather than having the beat on the first count. It's kind of annoying.
Sounds super annoying. Never heard of that.

Theo.M

15 Mar 2015

bflatinum wrote:Is anyone having any issues with 4DYNE where the beginning of your rendered song fades in quickly? I have it on my mastering chain, and every song that I render ends up fading in quickly rather than having the beat on the first count. It's kind of annoying.
JNeffLind wrote:
Sounds super annoying. Never heard of that.
if you are trying to render right on beat and have the perfect crossovers enabled, 4 dyne has latency. You need to start the render a beat or bar early to be safe. That's one example of what happened in daw's without PDC.

ArcoZ

17 Mar 2015

LinMB, C6 and C4 sound completely different than any of Reason multiband re or combinator.
They use their own algorhytms.
You will never get that sound with Reason at the moment.

Once I tried hard to copy the sound with every possible technique and I failed.

Gaja

17 Mar 2015

On of the advantages of Reason is that it is possible to build your own multi band compressor. While it may be complicated to set up, you can save it in a combi once you're done and use that setup in any production. So for example you can make a multi band compressor for drums using the Kong compressor, or Softube fet or mootube or whatever, which would be a bit harder to use, because of the lack of a dedicated gui, but the functionality remains the same. If you don't like what one of these compressors does to your bass, you could even switch that and have a dedicated compressor for the low end in the chain. I have 4Dyne, but rarely ever use it, because I don't properly understand multiband compression yet (in terms of when and how to best use it). The only purchase I made without trialing it before. One day I'll learn how to utilize it properly.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information