Just need some feedback on the mix

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
ravisoni

09 Feb 2015

I'm doing this mix on some headphones (cheap ones from walmart), and of course, it doesn't translate well to my car speakers (and a couple other systems).
I'd really appreciate it if some of you could listen to it on your monitors and tell me what seems wrong. Also, any tips on vocals would be greatly appreciated! For some reason I just can't get them to sound fat/thick/wide. When I try the stereo imager (I've used stock reason plugs except for guitar power chords), the vocals go way too quiet and lose the edge.
(I would've uploaded the reason file, but it's around 544 mbs).

Soundcloud file: 
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

stratatonic

09 Feb 2015

First off - great tune! (even though I understand NONE of the lyrics... :) )
Not sure why you want the vox fattened up - I think they sound great.
The drums sound great as well and the mix is mostly well balanced - especially when the vocal section is happening.
There is some midrange clash when the keys and the guitars are playing together - especially at the beginning. Maybe dip dome mids from the guitar and perhaps lo cut as well.

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2015

Hi

I think the mix is fundamentally sound. But each sound could use a little more finesse to make a bigger sound overall. I'd be tempted to have the intro louder and then drop back with the vocals as it sounds weak before the vox.

Song is definitely catchy enough.

With that vocal it is ok as is but I would suggest several more takes mixed under will give you a good robust sound. I am guessing this sort of song may be song by everyone at a wedding (??) so that sort of ragged "choir" at some stages may work well.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ravisoni

10 Feb 2015

First of all, thank you so, sooo much!
All points duly noted, and here's the final version (I was under deadline pressure, so can't change this anymore -- I think the "aaa" at some points is particularly loud, but I'm happy otherwise with how it sounds overall on my cans). I'll check this tomorrow on my car's speakers.
Again, thank you immensely for the feedback!

Final version - https://soundcloud.com/ravisoniofficial ... sion-final
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

• Information