My rant: Propellerhead, a lost of conversation

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

05 Feb 2015

Propellerhead has recently closed its forums. At the same time they released the new music collaboration service called Discover. A service that lacks a way to communicate. But how can we collaborate if we are not able to communicate?

I wrote a longread about this on my blog:
http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/propelle ... versation/

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Propellerhead has recently closed its forums. At the same time they released the new music collaboration service called Discover. A service that lacks a way to communicate. But how can we collaborate if we are not able to communicate?

When you drop your edit, it shows up on the original discover track. So the artist and anyone who has access to the original song can see your derivative work.

Propellerhead are still developing the concept so there's no telling how they will develop the concept.

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Propellerhead has recently closed its forums. At the same time they released the new music collaboration service called Discover. A service that lacks a way to communicate. But how can we collaborate if we are not able to communicate?

Marco,

I realize English isn't your first language, but the sentence "a lost of conversation" makes no sense. It should read: "a loss of conversation". Otherwise, nice blog post as always!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote: Marco, I realize English isn't your first language, but the sentence "a
EnochLight wrote:lost
EnochLight wrote: of conversation" makes no sense. It should read: "a
EnochLight wrote:loss
EnochLight wrote: of conversation". Otherwise, nice blog post as always!
Thanks. Corrected that now. Kept the url propellerhead-lost-conversation because otherwise I will loose all Facebook and Twitter connections to it.

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

Good read as always Marco - this is clearly not designed for professional collaboration, but that's not news to anyone here. 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

FYI: Before we had REs, we had complete collaboration capability. Without the need for a shared service. technically, at least.
RobReason Book: Reason101 Visual Guide to the Reason RackReason Site: http://www.Reason101.netSoundCloudhttp://www.soundcloud.com/phi-sequence Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/robanselmi

MarkTarlton

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:FYI: Before we had REs, we had complete collaboration capability. Without the need for a shared service. technically, at least.
to an extent...as long as everyone worked on the same version of Reason. I collaborate and have for years with band mates and various folks who I have common interests with, and it's always been a challenge. I was stoked when bounce mixer channels showed up :)

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:FYI: Before we had REs, we had complete collaboration capability. Without the need for a shared service. technically, at least.
MarkTarlton wrote:
to an extent...as long as everyone worked on the same version of Reason. I collaborate and have for years with band mates and various folks who I have common interests with, and it's always been a challenge. I was stoked when bounce mixer channels showed up :)

And as long as everyone had the same ReFills, though the 'self-contained' sample option takes care of that, right?

Selig Audio, LLC

CharlyCharlzz

05 Feb 2015

I readed this the day it was out ,I agree on most but even if I am sad about it in a way I think Props should not do another forum for at least 3 or 4 upgrades .

I buyed a full version of Reason 6 for the full price and I was happy , I discovered the forum but for the first 6 months I only seen troll's and when I tryed to ask for something I got trolled on a few times so I fighted back and throwed insults back , reports and all the arsenal I could find , at the end of the forum I was like all normal users and felt good into the forum .
I can say that even the worst ellements been cool with me the last two years but I realised Props was getting drag down to the dirt and that a closed forum could only do good for Props futur in term of image .
I can only say that sometimes a clear clean wipe out is better then a long downfall caused by none controlable ellements .
now I agree that a way to communicate is missing with discover , there is no comment boards but they would have to set Rules like (if you dont like the loop dont comment it) I would think otherwise it's dead before birth .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

wellman

06 Feb 2015

I read your post Marco and I couldnt agree more with you.. I even retweeted! The way Discover is now, anyone could take advantage of people, taking their ideas and making money out of them!

I think the Props Must include the Creative Commons license options in their service, so at least the authors have the option to protect their work.

And please, if someone could tell me, what would it take for the Discover thing to have the CC license options? Any legal stuff??

phasys

06 Feb 2015

Discover is the SELFIE of EDM! :P

KEVMOVE02

06 Feb 2015

Well, technically, the music itself is the communication medium. It seems reasonable to restrict written communication to avert the inevitable negative comments that would get posted, which in turn would discourage users from posting music at all. The dialogue should be "2-5-1", then you respond, "2-5-6-1". With the ability to comment, the conversation would be "2-5-1", with the response "that sucks, you suck, why don't you kill yourself". Don't laugh or cry, because you know that is exactly what would happen if Discover were to add the ability to make comments of any sort.

selig
RE Developer

06 Feb 2015

phasys wrote:Discover is the SELFIE of EDM! :P
LOL - maybe even more like the "Vine" of music?
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

06 Feb 2015

there are so many cool things you can do with these kind of things. what about sharing info about melodies and harmonies? would be cool.

but ok, Discover in not for me and it's not meant for someone like me I guess. 

I feel lost, a bit. I also use Ableton Live but when I go there I feel I need to unplug my guitar and go techno.

maybe I'll buy a time machine. and a Steely Dan t-shirt.

Lizard

06 Feb 2015

I wholeheartedly agree with this perspective Marco.  Collaboration IS in fact a cummunication effort.  In Discover there is no communication.  With it's introduction to the public though I'm not sure the Forums (had they chose to keep them open) would have still been the best option for communication on these projects.  To me your blog highlights a much needed tool that does not and never did exist.  Perhaps there will be an area attached to your page that allows for private groups or at a minimum maintains an inbox where you can leave your thoughts or shared instructions (more than 50 messages too I hope).  I am hoping that the Discover service is not only premature in development but experimental and a testing bed for a greater service.  Currently it's not really a service I would use myself.  I am not looking to "have fun" sharing ideas with the public but more specifically looking to sharing of projects with established sources and contacts.  I think that a future is open to greater tools for us to work with.  Like anything there is a beginning, a middle and an end.  We are at the beginning.  Thanks for the insight and as always a great read!

Marco Raaphorst

06 Feb 2015

Lizard wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with this perspective Marco.  Collaboration IS in fact a cummunication effort.  In Discover there is no communication.  With it's introduction to the public though I'm not sure the Forums (had they chose to keep them open) would have still been the best option for communication on these projects.  To me your blog highlights a much needed tool that does not and never did exist.  Perhaps there will be an area attached to your page that allows for private groups or at a minimum maintains an inbox where you can leave your thoughts or shared instructions (more than 50 messages too I hope).  I am hoping that the Discover service is not only premature in development but experimental and a testing bed for a greater service.  Currently it's not really a service I would use myself.  I am not looking to "have fun" sharing ideas with the public but more specifically looking to sharing of projects with established sources and contacts.  I think that a future is open to greater tools for us to work with.  Like anything there is a beginning, a middle and an end.  We are at the beginning.  Thanks for the insight and as always a great read!
Yes!!, this is interesting. Discover is a very basic way to work with other Reason users. It would be much better to share the whole arrangement. But then we run in some problems as well:
- Refills which are missing (although I should double check if the self-contained settings have improved in current version... haven't used that for years with other users)
- RE's. Not all users are using the same RE's

But it is workable. If RE's are missing you can still work on things and save it.

It is an interesting idea to create a very good way to collaborate with other Reason users. In fact THIS is the thing I have always felt: I feel connected to these people using the same software. Like we are all sitting in the same Abbey Road studios. You don't have to say you're having a great time, but anyone knows you're having a great time. We can be like a great group, or like great groups working together.

I would love to focus on really cool collaborations. Finish things, share and also sell them online. Maybe form a sort of record label. This collaboration thing can be like Motown 2.0. I have been thinking about this as well for some time. And I am also thinking about creating a sort of community ReFill which would be like a huge ReFill next to Factory and Ochester. A sort of essential soundbank every serious Reason user wants. 

... will think about it a little more. This could be fun.

• Information