Reason 9 New Clip Launch IDEA

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
boobytrap

04 Feb 2015

Attachments
fsdf.jpg
fsdf.jpg (171.95 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

lowpryo

05 Feb 2015

I want this so bad! why does Ableton have the monopoly on live DAW performances? seems like an area that needs some competition (way before mobile app collaboration!)

Exowildebeest

05 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Funny thing but clips are exactly why I don't like Ableton, let alone loose snapless automation! :)
Ableton's automation system sucks donkey balls.

But I'm sure that if Propellerheads implements clip launching, they'll do it awesomely :)

Wait, scratch that, I'm moderately confident about that after the browser-redesign fiasco.

electrofux

11 Feb 2015

The clip paradigm in Ableton has one huge advantage which i just learned while checking out Push and Reason together (which needs extensive MaxforLive devices to make it seamless because Abletons automation system has its flaws too).
And that is the complete clip can be automated from a controller. If you once used Push to work on a clip you wonder why that hasn't been standard for years- it is such a breeze.

MDTerps2015

15 Feb 2015

Be careful boys Ableton may be watching our threads to see what we dont like to improve their selling power to us.  :t2018:
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Parameter

21 Feb 2015

Very good idea :s0801:

dioxide

03 Sep 2015

Reason desperately needs some clip launch or pattern features. I had no idea that I would still be waiting for this in 2015!! Reason 8 FFS!!

bepemixer

21 Oct 2015

I think that Ableton is not a Daw is an Excel!!!
Io uso Reason perchè funziona sempre!! : :reason: :record: :recycle: :ignition: :refill: :reload:

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2015

boobytrap wrote:Image
Can you describe how this would work? I'm not following.

I too would love this feature, and this is what I though "Blocks" was when it was first announced. Imagine my disappointment.

My simple solution is to approach this as a pattern based processes, where you can draw patterns into the sequencer or be able to trigger Blocks on the fly. In addition, one should be able to convert any selection into a block with a single command (STILL don't know why this feature is missing). By taking the "blocks" and "pattern" approach you could keep it 100% "Reason" like. And even with only 32 scenes (ala Matrix pattern sequencer) this would be a very powerful feature IMO.

BTW, I want this feature as much because of Live as because you could do this with Studio Vision 20 years ago! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Alkua

21 Oct 2015

It is a very good idea, but why we need this clip play in the sequencer if they are going to loop? Maybe is better in a RE or in a new "window mode" without timeline where you can map them to a midi controller.

Mor1

29 Nov 2015

Well its a dream session view approach in reason??taking reason projects live on stage triggering samples and all that magic...it's a dream...I hope that the props will make this come true!!!

artmessiah

24 May 2020

Bump. Old discussion, but still needed imo. Are there any RE clip launchers?

DaveyG

24 May 2020

Old thread indeed.

Given that Logic has just added it I think we'll be seeing versions of it in most of the main DAWs before too long.

But not in Reason. Reason is never quick to jump on these trends. RS will spend years telling us we don't need it rather than just getting on with implementing it. It's the Reason way.

guitfnky

24 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
24 May 2020
Old thread indeed.

Given that Logic has just added it I think we'll be seeing versions of it in most of the main DAWs before too long.

But not in Reason. Reason is never quick to jump on these trends. RS will spend years telling us we don't need it rather than just getting on with implementing it. It's the Reason way.
in fairness, they usually don’t tell us we don’t need the features we want—they just don’t give them to us. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

teddymcw

24 May 2020

artmessiah wrote:
24 May 2020

Someone was mentioning that they were launching Rex files with an RE I forget and it was a similar workflow. I know it's in there somewhere on the recent Dr. Octo Rex threads. Edit: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7332076&p=485291&hi ... ex#p485291

I've been messing with Logic 10.5 demo and their implementation of live loops is really good imho, tho I haven't used ableton / bitwig's versions.

I feel like / hope all the DAWs are going to have more convergence with clip launchers being 'a must' but then RS might be just as likely to let other DAWs handle that aspect for them with the RRP.

jam-s

25 May 2020

bepemixer wrote:
21 Oct 2015
I think that Ableton is not a Daw is an Excel!!!
It's the other way around: Excel is a DAW:

Yonatan

26 May 2020

Oquasec

26 May 2020

Using the plugin is better than waiting .
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

dioxide

26 May 2020

You can use Peff's DirectRE combined with Note Receive players to latch sequences on and off. Yes it isn't full clip launching but at this point I've given up on that. I've been waiting over 15 years for it in Reason lolz.

Yonatan

26 May 2020

dioxide wrote:
26 May 2020
You can use Peff's DirectRE combined with Note Receive players to latch sequences on and off. Yes it isn't full clip launching but at this point I've given up on that. I've been waiting over 15 years for it in Reason lolz.
Good tip!

djsmex

26 May 2020

Reason already has blocks, which is kind of like ableton clips. All you need is live performance automation for blocks and then you have a clip launcher. This way its non-distructive and doesn't force dramatic changes to the current sequencer, allowing reason users who don't want ableton style sequencing to keep working.
As for ableton midi mapping, is it still mapped on each project file, a little like the Reason midi override?

artmessiah

30 May 2020

teddymcw wrote:
24 May 2020
artmessiah wrote:
24 May 2020

Someone was mentioning that they were launching Rex files with an RE I forget and it was a similar workflow. I know it's in there somewhere on the recent Dr. Octo Rex threads. Edit: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7332076&p=485291&hi ... ex#p485291

I've been messing with Logic 10.5 demo and their implementation of live loops is really good imho, tho I haven't used ableton / bitwig's versions.

I feel like / hope all the DAWs are going to have more convergence with clip launchers being 'a must' but then RS might be just as likely to let other DAWs handle that aspect for them with the RRP.
Cool. Not the same as clip launching but still a good way to experiment.

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2020

I can imagine a separate window that provides an overlay of all your player devices. Where players (like drum sequencer, sequences and polystep) can be turn on and off, cycled through patterns, as well as a global Note/Scale.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information