fractured planet ( psytrance demo )

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
psychasm

03 Feb 2015

i made this track in order to see test out some refills. I landed up using sinnerfires dnb fx refill on some of the sounds and the rest of the fx  comes from the factory sound bank. some of the sounds is from the factory bank also which have just been resampled and  mangled. i found subtractor to be very useful for a lot of the fx also and dr rex always come in handy. my pc is old and in order to keep it from crashing i bounce almost everything to rex loops/wave files

psychasm

04 Feb 2015

I still suck at mastering and any helpful feedback regarding the sound will be highly appreciated.

forensickbeats

06 Feb 2015

I like this track, good work!

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2015

Hi

Why is you feel you suck at mastering? What is it you feel this track should do or have that it doesn't now?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

psychasm

06 Feb 2015

Hi Benedict

I would like some of the sounds to come through a bit more clearer than what it is. I also dont know if  I am doing anything wrong but the wave file when exported out of reason after precessing just does not sound the same as when being played withing reason itself. That is what is bothering me. It just sounds different . Its as if all the sounds are being blended together. I made sure to remove a lot of the frequencies in each instrument which did not belong as well as  -Hp/LP filters, and no boosting of any frequencies before exporting waves and then re-importing for processing and made certain that all levels were below -7db.

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2015

Hi

I am confused by your talk of export and then processing. Do you not do your mix Finalizing (mastering) for the export - why would you export and bring the wave back in to process again? That sounds like trouble to me.

If your exported 'master' is not sounding right then there are really two places to look
  1. if it sounds right in Reason but wrong when you play the wave file (on the same computer) then chances are that whatever you use for playback (Win Media etc) has some sort of ghastly SRS Wow type craptrickery or EQ going on. Find it and kill it, now and forever. If you make music you need to learn to hear it properly.
  2. if it sounds right in your studio but wrong everywhere else then you have mix issues that are related to your studio set-up, particularly monitoring. Your mix will always sound different, even from across the room. Your job is to make a mix that "translates" well. Just as subtitles in a reader-movie don't really match the dialogue word for word they still allow the viewer to get a workable sense of what is happening.
I am of the school of mixing by ear. Forget the magic numbers. Putting things at '-78.456db RMS with a transversely sliced pickle' won't do anything but make mistakes as it is effectively random till you get why that number has any possible relevance. Hear what you are doing and don't do anything till you understand the reason you are doing it.

Does that make sense and help find cause/solution? I am happy to hear your Reason Song File (the MIDI) and compare that to your Soundclound above to see if there are gross differences.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

psychasm

07 Feb 2015

Hi Benedict

I have to work that way because of limitations of my pc. I regularly get error  messages when having just a few re's open at the same time. It;s a workaround for me in order to complete a project. Even withous re's  and less than 15 -  20 tracks , my pc starts screaming. I cannot have an entire project open in one document , it just will not allow. So i export waves and then keep adding elements till the arrangement is done. I dont have a choice unfortunately that is how i must work for now. It's similar to me as working in illustrator or indesign ,where the different links become tracks.

Higor

07 Feb 2015

psychasm wrote:Hi I also dont know if  I am doing anything wrong but the wave file when exported out of reason after precessing just does not sound the same as when being played withing reason itself. .
 What is the sample rate you work in reason? Because if you work at 44 or 22 and exports at 48 or 88 in 24 bit it will sound slightly different. I think the buffer size has an impact on that too. And if you are using, for example, asio 4 all in reason and then listen to the wave file in another sound drive with e.q boost or some other fx, like Benedict said, this will change the sound too. You must let the output of your audio all flat in all circumstances in order to avoid this kind of situation. When i discovered a few years ago that i had mastered my tracks with the e.q boost by realtek audio i had to disable it and review all my tracks again with flat response.

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2015

Hi

You should be able to simply Bounce to Audio and then Mute the Instrument and Track and they will cease to use CPU. That will allow you to have one project file and better ability to adjust.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh

psychasm

07 Feb 2015

I work in sample rate of 44 and export everything as such. I have an old Esi Maya 44 soundcard, dunno if that could be part of the problem. I will try Benedicts suggestion on my next track and see what happens. :)

psychasm

07 Feb 2015

I subscribed to Benedicts's blog.  Some of interesting info about Mastering and mixing and some set-ups which he uses. Thanks Benedict.

Exowildebeest

07 Feb 2015

Cool Zenon/minimal tech-psy stuff!

Sadly Soundcloud fucks with the audioquality, which is quite important in this style of music, relying on high-frequency quirkyness. Mix seems okay though.

Artistically, the challenge in this particular subgenre is to keep the track interesting despite its usual lack of melody. My personal preference would be to add some dark, monotonous pads. The track is quite long - around 6:30 would be a nice time to introduce the pads if you want to have a nice surprising change of atmosphere, that would provide something extra interesting.

Edit: just downloaded, saw it's a 96kbps mp3. Still suspect the mix is good though!

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2015

I suspected the mix was fine too.

I also agree on the lack of melodic purpose as (at least to me) melody s the core of music.

Thanks for the subscribe

Benedict Roff-Marsh

psychasm

08 Feb 2015

Benedict wrote:I suspected the mix was fine too.

I also agree on the lack of melodic purpose as (at least to me) melody s the core of music.

Thanks for the subscribe

Thanks for positive reply on the mix sounding good and lack of melodies. It is there , i just got carried away by twisting it into fx. Reminds me of something that dopetank said  about a previous track... that I make sole use of fx to drive the theme. thanks guys for taking time out to listen and download. Next project is a collab in which I may need to calm down on the chaos and make something a bit more easier on the ear. Contrary to that it's a lot of fun making weird sounds and arranging it in such a way as to call it music :)

• Information