Control Room and Master Out

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
motuscott

03 Feb 2015

I have and use an external monitor volume control. My hardware is fed from the cntrl rm outs for reasons I'm sure are legit but I have forgotten at this point. I guess this can be useful for monitoring the FX sends and returns (though my returns are routed back to individual channels). The CR out knob on the master channel is at unity gain and when I bounce or export I make sure the master fader is at unity also. Can anyone see any drawbacks to using the CR out as opposed to the master out?
Tanks in advance.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

I do it all the time and don't know of any drawbacks.

Mastrcode

03 Feb 2015

I use the CR for visual monitoring for Reason's Big meter. I leave the master bus by it's default at outputs 1/2 of Reason's hardware interface and route the CR out to the outputs 3/4. Both are routed to separate channels of my audio interface The master out goes to my ASIO channels 1/2, but with no to my audio interface's line outs (like muted). The CR out goes to my ASIO channels 3/4, which are routed to my audiointerfaces line outs 1/2, where my monitor speakers are connected. With this seup, i can use the CR for my audible mixing/monitoring and can change the CR's volume without affecting the Master out's volume, so the big meter of reason always shows me the true peaks, that the later rendered file also will have and not the peaks of the CR. For me this one of the advatages having a CR output.

Ocean of Waves

04 Feb 2015

Does anyone have a clue on how to get the Click on the Control Room out? Because I use Control Room out on headphones when tracking and it would be nice to have the click on the cans as well.

Mastrcode

04 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Does anyone have a clue on how to get the Click on the Control Room out? Because I use Control Room out on headphones when tracking and it would be nice to have the click on the cans as well.
With a small trick you can build your own "click" metronome using a Redrum. Just load a short click sample or a short rhimshot. You also can shorten the samples with the decay control of the Redrum channels, if needed, and program a 4/4 beat on Redrum's activated step sequencer. The Redrum starts playing the 4/4 beat everytime when you play your song. If you don't need the click for a while, just disable/mute the Redrum's step sequencer or mixer channel. You also can use a second different sound on a second Redrum channel. Play sample 1 just at the first beat and sample 2 on beats 2,3,4 to play the sub ticks with another sound if you want. Simple, but works. ;)

Edit: if you want play a track solo and also wanna have the click audible, just use a spider audio and merge the Redrum together with your Control Room's output, and connect the spider's merged outputs to Reason's Hardware Interface, where you normally have connected the Control room. This way you have both routed to one output and you have an audible click metronome, even if a track plays in solo. For muting the click, just deactivate Redrum's step sequencer...

Ocean of Waves

04 Feb 2015

Meh, I don't think a Redrum will be a good substitute for the Click and pre-Click options already available. I think it's a bit daft to not be able to route it to the CR out. 

motuscott

04 Feb 2015

Am I missing something? I use the click constantly and i'm on CR outs. If this makes no sense, well I just woke up.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Ocean of Waves

04 Feb 2015

Maybe I'm missing something too!

kloeckno

04 Feb 2015

I believe it is the audio output that determines if you hear a click or not. Outputs 1&2 have a click, the rest do not. So if you route the CR out through outputs 1&2 you should hear the click.

ncurry

04 Feb 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Meh, I don't think a Redrum will be a good substitute for the Click and pre-Click options already available. I think it's a bit daft to not be able to route it to the CR out. 
I find that it is a GREAT substitute. The click is limited in terms of what it'll play, ie. can't change the sound, can't set it to any other sub-division. I like using Redrum because I can great an 8th or even 16th note rhythm to play along with. You could even use the Regroove to match the "feel" of your project.

Ocean of Waves

05 Feb 2015

kloeckno wrote:I believe it is the audio output that determines if you hear a click or not. Outputs 1&2 have a click, the rest do not. So if you route the CR out through outputs 1&2 you should hear the click.
Thanks, I'll try

• Information