Does anyone dig the u-he pack?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
lowpryo

31 Jan 2015

I'm looking for another reverb to add to my arsenal, and I'm really digging the u-he Uhbik A. but then I'm like, if I want to buy that, I might as well buy the studio bundle. and then i'm like, if i'm going to buy that, i might as well buy the $200 bundle that includes ALL of the u-he REs. gotta LOVE those deals, right?  :crazy:

anyway, I just don't know if I can justify the $200 price tag because I don't know if I'm ever gonna be reaching for their flanger, or tremolo, or any of that. just wondering if anyone here can help me make my decision!

(this would probably be a quick search on PUF but i don't have that luxury anymore booo)

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2015

i have the uhe Flanger and to be honest i don't use it. I try it every now and then but I just don't get results from it. I have heard similar comments from others. Also uhe blotted his copybook somewhat with some comments about abandoning RE. I don't know how that ended up but I don't think he is committed to Reason in any way.

Generally comments about the Reveerb were favorable. I'd pay attention if he built a synth RE like ACE.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

lowpryo

31 Jan 2015

ah well I'd rather support all the awesome small devs that are loyal to the RE format. maybe I'll just grab the reverb and forget about everything else!

Rice

31 Jan 2015

I actually like the Uhe-A...I'm able to get good results from it. Sure, it's not for everybody, but that's why I like having options. There are some devices that some swear by that i just do not like, but then I remind byself that it's "different strokes for different folks," that's why I love the 30 day free trial. 

Gaja

01 Feb 2015

Benedict wrote:i have the uhe Flanger and to be honest i don't use it. I try it every now and then but I just don't get results from it. I have heard similar comments from others. Also uhe blotted his copybook somewhat with some comments about abandoning RE. I don't know how that ended up but I don't think he is committed to Reason in any way.

Generally comments about the Reveerb were favorable. I'd pay attention if he built a synth RE like ACE.

But a recent SDK update appears to adress exactly Urs's needs, which, I think, he actually developed with the props. If that would be true, then it is not unlikely we will see more from U-He in the Rack at some point.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

hydlide

01 Feb 2015

I personally own the complete bundle, and to be honest I don't use them that much as I actually want to. It kind of works best in small projects, but if I start throwing them in my bigger projects then CPU usage is going to become an issue.
The thing I really do like about the Uhbik series, is that the whole bundle is pretty consistent regarding the look and feel. They are easy to pick up and play (with the exception of the Uhbik T, the tremolo effect, since it can use a pattern editor to make changes). And some of them sound pretty awesome (Uhbik G, Uhbik T and the Uhbik F).

Some of the effects are similar as you have (as stock devices), however most of the Uhbik series just to something different output wise (PH 90 vs Uhbik P for instance, both are phasers but they sound different from one and other).

Most of the effects don't really require that much know how to makes changes in them to get a specific effect going.

If I would be you in this case, I would demo all of them. Play with them for 30 days and see if they really fit your needs.

I was convinced to get them all since I knew at some day I would throw some of those effects in my projects any way :)

tibah

01 Feb 2015

I got the studio bundle, consisting of A, Q and D. Over time I have to say, more or less all of these got replaced by something else. D is probably the only one of the bunch I still use regularly, then again, I don't find it intuitive to patch, so it's rather preset browsing.

A is still nice in my book, but I recently got the little TSAR and trying to use that more often. Also, having Antidote, I use the built-in reverb in a Combinator as a send effect very often. Overall, I just have too many options when it comes to reverbs. I wish I bought the DR-1 right from the start as that fits my style of music the most, but TSAR is nothing to complain about and it's still nice to have Uhbik A around. ;)

Q is a fine EQ. The low end boost is rather nice. Got replaced by using AT-1, being overall more useful to me.

Out of the rest, I like Runciter and G. I went with Neutron over G and with DFilter over Runciter. I probably still might get G, since it does something different to Neutron. Compared to Neutron's buffer method, I felt like Uhbik G brought more instant results and required less recording and aligning on an audio track that Neutron often does, since it will introduce a certain latency. 

Polar/Echobode cover most of what the other Uhbiks would do and I'm very happy with them.

Getting all of them is tempting, but I rather check for alternatives (EQs, Reverbs, creative devices, you name it) and then see if the investment is worth it, since you will have them forever. I'm more of a "replacement" guy than "adding". I like to have one good device for the job, instant of 5 to choose from (Yea... reverbs...doh!). Basically -> Do you like RV7000? -> Yes/No? -> What else is there? etc.

Jagwah

01 Feb 2015

I love Uhbik A, the GUI is great and I haven't touched another reverb since I got it and I really like reverb.

Uhbik S and G are really good for mangling the crap out of sounds, and you have dry / wet knobs so they work great.

I also have Uhbik D, but I'm in delay heaven with Steerpike so I forget it's there a lot, but it was definitely cool before I moved on.

Cool devices, make use of your trials if you are considering taking the plunge.

dvdrtldg

02 Feb 2015

I love Graindad and Runciter, use them a lot.

T has an overly-fiddly GUI but every now & then I go to the trouble of playing with it, and always get a great result. Same with D, a bit of a fiddle but worth the effort.

A is a pain because I work in 48hZ.

S can be fun but overall I'm not a fan of metallic sounds and that seems to be its main thang.

F is OK if I want a very subtle flanging effect that you can only just hear buried in the mix. But it's not a great effect for foregrounding, compare it with Satin over in VST land and you can really hear how it fails to measure up. Major CPU hog too.

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2015

UPDATE

I broke out my Flanger again and I did find use for it. One of my frustrations is that for a Flanger I can't get it (or anything else I ever use) to sound like the old yellow Ibanez pedal I had in the 80's despite the claims.

The Rate method is odd and somewhat erratic and yes CPU can be a rough once you have a few in action. That said I made a couple of Combis that I can definitely use from time to time.

However if I were buying again I wouldn't and would get the new blue Chorus instead (even tho that has it's oddities too).

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

davidvilla

05 Feb 2015

I use the flanger as a chorus - I think the factory preset is called 'Deep Chorus'. Just turn down depth to like a 4 and it sounds amazing - particularly on a PX7 EP.  All I use it for really, but I use it all the time.

joeyluck

05 Feb 2015

I will one day purchase the bundle when their is a 'complete your bundle' option.

Having only bought one Uhbik device (Uhbik G) at $39, it makes no sense for me to buy the already more expensive bundle ($199 RE bundle vs. $149 VST bundle).  Which would make it $238 total for me.  Nope lol.  

My other option is to buy them all individually which we all know is even more expensive @ $351 ($312 additional for me).

Optimally for the complete my bundle option to really work, it should account for the amount paid vs. the discounted amount for that device in the bundle.  But any more advanced option would be welcome.

lowpryo

05 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:I will one day purchase the bundle when their is a 'complete your bundle' option.

Having only bought one Uhbik device (Uhbik G) at $39, it makes no sense for me to buy the already more expensive bundle ($199 RE bundle vs. $149 VST bundle).  Which would make it $238 total for me.  Nope lol.  

My other option is to buy them all individually which we all know is even more expensive @ $351 ($312 additional for me).

Optimally for the complete my bundle option to really work, it should account for the amount paid vs. the discounted amount for that device in the bundle.  But any more advanced option would be welcome.

I know, I really hate the bundle system too! especially this pack which his bundles within bundles! i feel like i don't want to buy ANY of these devices now out of fear that i might want more of them later and i don't want to waste any money. very bad business!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2015

JoeyLuck,

It might be worth to buy the studio pack.

Anyway, i like the UHE A a lot. I don't use the EQ much, but the D and the A are quite nice.

There are some references of bugs, though with my  general usage i don't have any problems. I work mainly @44.1 kHz.

Melody303

22 Mar 2015

I really liked Uhbik Q when I trialed it, but I wanted to see if I'm happy with using Reason's native EQ with its new interface in R7+ before I put my money on it... it just so happens that I've yet to upgrade beyond R6.5, so I have yet to try it.
(Lectric Panda's Shape is the biggest draw for me to upgrade, but I feel like I need another killer app to draw me to make the upgrade.)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

zeebot

22 Mar 2015

I also have the flanger and never use it, probably my only real RE regret.
I love the A, its my goto reverb, its so versatile and you just dial in the ambience you want simple as.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

DOKTOR242

22 Mar 2015

All I ever wanted in reason was Uhbink ( done ), sound toys, and audio damage

LEDBOO

24 Mar 2015

The bundle is great. U-he made some solid fx devices. But maaaaan they can take up some cpu. Lol. Big fan of the Uhbik A, F, and G.

Kazz

24 Mar 2015

I bought them all at their intro prices, and I think they're nice sounding effects that each have something interesting about them.

I have a lot of fun with Uhbik G in particular, but some of them (especially F) can eat up a lot of CPU so I often passed them over in favor of lighter alternatives.  A new, faster computer could change things though... :)

If I were looking at the shop today I might hesitate to buy the bundle with so many other nice options available and the issues that have been discussed (unpatched bug, high CPU usage, questionable commitment to the format), but I'm not sorry that I have them, and I think they're at least worth a demo and your consideration.

• Information