(minimalist ambient) Solar Operator

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mimidancer

02 Apr 2024

I have not posted much music lately aside from Chopin I recorded for a friend. I had fun with this one this morning. It is rough and if you know me it will likely remain rough But I did enjoy writing and recording it this morning. The Bass if you can call it bad is the Crave and the Lead is the Model D. I used Quaret and the Juno Chorus stacked with Echo, and the RV7000 and plate from Arturia. I hope you listen. Be well.

tomusurp

06 Apr 2024

Love the dark melody intro. Your sound design and mix is very good. Very interesting supporting melodies. I like how the melody changes and alters the mood slightly. Is it all the same scale or does it change? Not familiar with this genre, but also sounds like film score. Would be perfect for the credits scene in a Star Wars movie. If I had to change something, knowing me I would turn anything and everything into some sort of EDM project lol, so I wouldn't be surprised if I started adding weird percussion and drums to this. Overall very cool :thumbs_up:
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

mimidancer

08 Apr 2024

tomusurp wrote:
06 Apr 2024
Love the dark melody intro. Your sound design and mix is very good. Very interesting supporting melodies. I like how the melody changes and alters the mood slightly. Is it all the same scale or does it change? Not familiar with this genre, but also sounds like film score. Would be perfect for the credits scene in a Star Wars movie. If I had to change something, knowing me I would turn anything and everything into some sort of EDM project lol, so I wouldn't be surprised if I started adding weird percussion and drums to this. Overall very cool :thumbs_up:
thanks for listening. this does not stay diatonic. I like to borrow chords that allow me to make semitone movements. so the Am Goes to Cm. That lets the 5th of the Am move down a semitone to Db. If you want to turn this into something EDM let me know and I will send you the file. It would be cool to inspire someone else to be creative. I consider it a win when like 10 people listen to a track so my expectations are realistic.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2024

Once when people told me "nice tune, it sounds like the soundtrack of a film/video game/series", I used to get a little offended and demoralised. I foolishly believed that BGM and soundtracks were a minor art and that a tune should live a life of its own. Then I started writing commissioned soundtracks for theatre or short films and changed my mind. So I hope you won't be offended if I join tomusurp in complimenting you on this track and emphasising its cinematic qualities. Perhaps the cover art is also a contributory factor, but I imagine a camera movement over sand dunes at dawn as the opening credits slowly appear over the still indigo night sky. A bit Spielberg early 80s, if you know what I mean.

Musically, sound design rules the day, as always in your tracks, and I appreciate the weaving of melodies and countermelodies that lead the track. Not rough at all, if you ask me. I will listen to it again.

mimidancer

08 Apr 2024

It moves to the Eb I mean

mimidancer

08 Apr 2024

Quarmat wrote:
08 Apr 2024
Once when people told me "nice tune, it sounds like the soundtrack of a film/video game/series", I used to get a little offended and demoralised. I foolishly believed that BGM and soundtracks were a minor art and that a tune should live a life of its own. Then I started writing commissioned soundtracks for theatre or short films and changed my mind. So I hope you won't be offended if I join tomusurp in complimenting you on this track and emphasising its cinematic qualities. Perhaps the cover art is also a contributory factor, but I imagine a camera movement over sand dunes at dawn as the opening credits slowly appear over the still indigo night sky. A bit Spielberg early 80s, if you know what I mean.

Musically, sound design rules the day, as always in your tracks, and I appreciate the weaving of melodies and countermelodies that lead the track. Not rough at all, if you ask me. I will listen to it again.
Thanks for listening. I adore your tracks, which makes your input much more meaningful. I usually have some inspiration for most things I do. But I never worry about what a song is or where it fits in. They are just captured moments that reflect where my mind was on a given day. being able to experience life is an opportunity I hope I do not squander. Even days when a dung beetle documentary and the thought of Khepri are on my mind.

tomusurp

08 Apr 2024

mimidancer wrote:
08 Apr 2024
tomusurp wrote:
06 Apr 2024
thanks for listening. this does not stay diatonic. I like to borrow chords that allow me to make semitone movements. so the Am Goes to Cm. That lets the 5th of the Am move down a semitone to Db. If you want to turn this into something EDM let me know and I will send you the file. It would be cool to inspire someone else to be creative. I consider it a win when like 10 people listen to a track so my expectations are realistic.
Sure send it over. That’s cool how it changes. I’m getting past basic music theory recently. Just tried Algerian scale in latest track but also deviated by a semitone in some melodies but it sounded so right somehow. Something to wrap my head over because I’m so used to consonance
My music:

crimsonwarlock

08 Apr 2024

That's beautiful. Very atmospheric, but I'm also hearing obvious prog/symphonic movements. Could be the basis for one helluva progrock track.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

mimidancer

08 Apr 2024

tomusurp wrote:
08 Apr 2024
mimidancer wrote:
08 Apr 2024

Sure send it over. That’s cool how it changes. I’m getting past basic music theory recently. Just tried Algerian scale in latest track but also deviated by a semitone in some melodies but it sounded so right somehow. Something to wrap my head over because I’m so used to consonance
I used quite a few effects from Arturia on these tracks. If you do not have I can print them with the effects. I also did not nudge these onto the grid as I was playing loose anyway. let me hear what you do if you do anything.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kc9TAx ... sp=sharing

mimidancer

08 Apr 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Apr 2024
That's beautiful. Very atmospheric, but I'm also hearing obvious prog/symphonic movements. Could be the basis for one helluva progrock track.
I think making the flat iii and the flat vii minor gives it flavor. it says I understand your rules but I really don't care about them. imo.

tomusurp

08 Apr 2024

mimidancer wrote:
08 Apr 2024
tomusurp wrote:
08 Apr 2024

I used quite a few effects from Arturia on these tracks. If you do not have I can print them with the effects. I also did not nudge these onto the grid as I was playing loose anyway. let me hear what you do if you do anything.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kc9TAx ... sp=sharing
Send the stems also just incase I like it better. Now that I play it back again and chopping some parts up this could be a great foundation for a darkwave x synthwave feel. Somewhat similar to After Dark by Mr Kitty
My music:

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2024

Nice piece of music quite emotional but with a dark cinematic vibe for me.

i am quite taken by what i am going to call the "metallic scuttle bug sound" (influenced by the song art). It comes in at 18 seconds and makes me think of the bug scuttling around with a glitchy r2 d2 droid like vibe. I would love to know how you achieved that.

mimidancer

09 Apr 2024

Popey wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Nice piece of music quite emotional but with a dark cinematic vibe for me.

i am quite taken by what i am going to call the "metallic scuttle bug sound" (influenced by the song art). It comes in at 18 seconds and makes me think of the bug scuttling around with a glitchy r2 d2 droid like vibe. I would love to know how you achieved that.
Though you can not hear it in the track I am using the DFAM to keep time in my rack.I have a module called MAFD. It receives midi from Reason. I do not use the internal clock on the DFAM. I use reason instead and I drive it with Drum Sequencer. It is clocking 4 LFO and my data bender. The data bender is adding a tape simulation to the Crave. but when two of the LFOs peak together it cuts the buffer size and pushes up repeat so you get a nasty but in-time skip. Makes me feel like Aphex Twin. I know I am not that good. But it is still cool. Thanks for listening. I love synths and Reason.

• Information