(Electronic / Analog style) - Work in progress

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2024

I'm always looking for themes/ideas that could turn into bigger musical projects. This is one potential direction. Using more analog styled synths like Viking 1 and 2, Legend, Complex-1, Red70, Transcendent 2000. That kind of thing. Still haven't decided yet. If nothing else I'm sure I'll finish this song at least, even if it doesn't turn into a bigger project.

This track is influenced by Kraftwerk with its unapologetically synthy nature combined with clear catchy melodies. In particular it draws inspiration from their song Radioactivity.
Like the title says it's still a work in progress so this is only a start. The track isn't finished, nor is all the mixing decisions.

Overtherainbow

20 Mar 2024

Feels like the tune is straight out of Stellaris soundtrack - it's got the retro-futuristic vibes and melody. Nice!

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2024

Sounds good to me Tritone Addiction 👍. Reminded me of Jean Michel Jarre at times.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2024

Overtherainbow wrote:
20 Mar 2024
Feels like the tune is straight out of Stellaris soundtrack - it's got the retro-futuristic vibes and melody. Nice!
Thanks. I can see that.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2024

Popey wrote:
20 Mar 2024
Sounds good to me Tritone Addiction 👍. Reminded me of Jean Michel Jarre at times.
Thanks. Yes that could be a useful inspiration for a project like this as well.

robussc

21 Mar 2024

Very nice, definitely some lovely melodic launch pads. I was feeling a soaring solo coming on (but didn't :) ) so that might cool?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2024

robussc wrote:
21 Mar 2024
Very nice, definitely some lovely melodic launch pads. I was feeling a soaring solo coming on (but didn't :) ) so that might cool?
Thanks. Yeah maybe, we'll see what happens. :-)

raymondh

23 Mar 2024

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Mar 2024
I'm always looking for themes/ideas that could turn into bigger musical projects. This is one potential direction. Using more analog styled synths like Viking 1 and 2, Legend, Complex-1, Red70, Transcendent 2000. That kind of thing. Still haven't decided yet. If nothing else I'm sure I'll finish this song at least, even if it doesn't turn into a bigger project.

This track is influenced by Kraftwerk with its unapologetically synthy nature combined with clear catchy melodies. In particular it draws inspiration from their song Radioactivity.
Like the title says it's still a work in progress so this is only a start. The track isn't finished, nor is all the mixing decisions.

It sounds very cool to me. One suggestion would be where you have the different lead synth parts, and you have different patches like you've done here, is to have a more dramatically different patch. (thinking like Oxygene 4, or Axel F). I think that would lift it further. Another idea, depending on your intended feel, is to use more raw, less effected sounds, or side chain effects so they don't wash out the raw character of the analog tones. That can help make the sound a bit more ballsy and more like hardware I think (I'm still experimenting with this myself).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2024

raymondh wrote:
23 Mar 2024

It sounds very cool to me. One suggestion would be where you have the different lead synth parts, and you have different patches like you've done here, is to have a more dramatically different patch. (thinking like Oxygene 4, or Axel F). I think that would lift it further. Another idea, depending on your intended feel, is to use more raw, less effected sounds, or side chain effects so they don't wash out the raw character of the analog tones. That can help make the sound a bit more ballsy and more like hardware I think (I'm still experimenting with this myself).
Nice points you bring up. I had a go at reducing a lot the reverbs. It was pretty washy, perhaps a bit too much. I updated the link. The volumes might be sligthly messed up because of it, but it will do for now. The song isn't finished after all.

I think for this song I'll keep the sounds I've used so far. But it's a good point to have sounds with different textures between different parts. In this case I think the melodic patches are different enough for my taste. I also made a conscious decision to have them similar midrange/EQ wise so that the mix sound pretty even. But it's something to keep in mind for other songs.

There are still many things I haven't decided on, first and foremost if I want to make a bigger project of this analog/synthy theme at all. And if I do, how important is it to emulate it closely? Perhaps it's enough to just be inspired by it and take a lot of creative liberties that doesn't fit into that theme. We'll see. I like to leave a lot of this undecided to see where it all goes with time.

• Information