Mechanical Itch (Breakbeat Techmo)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2024

Available for the bargain price of Β£0 if you like it. No need to raid the piggy bank

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 442px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/tra ... rent=true/" seamless><a href="
Itch by Samiver</a></iframe>

sudio

30 Jan 2024

Never thought about combining techno with breakbeats. After hearing your track, I would like to try that, definately.

Popey
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2024

sudio wrote: ↑
30 Jan 2024
Never thought about combining techno with breakbeats. After hearing your track, I would like to try that, definately.
Yeah go for it. The great thing about music production is the freedom to try anything. It may not always work but is usually fun trying.

WolfZeit

03 Feb 2024

The discordant sounds work well in this. I like the driving synth that comes in at 1.20. I like the sense of climax around 3.50.

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2024

WolfZeit wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2024
The discordant sounds work well in this. I like the driving synth that comes in at 1.20. I like the sense of climax around 3.50.
Thanks WolfZeit πŸ‘

mimidancer

07 Feb 2024

SO glitchy, Love.

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2024

mimidancer wrote: ↑
07 Feb 2024
SO glitchy, Love.
Thanks mimi :thumbs_up:

raymondh

16 Feb 2024

This is very cool. Great sound design, movement and heaps of interesting stuff going. I love the section with the clangy sounds ( Objekt ?) with the string pad in the background. Cool tension.

MirrorEyEs

16 Feb 2024

Yeah man good atmosphere. I'm getting similar vibes to tracks off Broken Robot Recordings or Dead Famous Records!
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

Popey
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2024

raymondh wrote: ↑
16 Feb 2024
This is very cool. Great sound design, movement and heaps of interesting stuff going. I love the section with the clangy sounds ( Objekt ?) with the string pad in the background. Cool tension.
Thanks Raymond. I checked the clangy sound and glad I did as I use objekt a lot and thought it was but it is actually Hive2 on this occasion. There is actually no objekts in mechanical itch (but a awful lot of the echo πŸ˜‚- I love delays).

That sound is very objekt though as it has that slightly weird unstableness I love so much. Objekt is great for taking a known sound and just pulling if back from being too strange to something unique. It's like sounds you recognise but with a different edge. I love using objekt with ouroboros and it's all over my latest track detour in my signature. Objekt is probably my favourite rs device so far, closely followed by grain.

Popey
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2024

MirrorEyEs wrote: ↑
16 Feb 2024
Yeah man good atmosphere. I'm getting similar vibes to tracks off Broken Robot Recordings or Dead Famous Records!
Thanks, just checked out the two labels you mentioned as had never heard of them. Great tracks so far so gonna check out more of their releases. Thanks for the recommendation πŸ‘

benjified

17 Feb 2024

Nice track! I love the atmosphere and the cacophony that gives it character without throwing it out of whack. I'm listening to Detour now, very solid track. My only complaints is your album art doesn't do any of the tracks justice.

Popey
Competition Winner

17 Feb 2024

benjified wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2024
Nice track! I love the atmosphere and the cacophony that gives it character without throwing it out of whack. I'm listening to Detour now, very solid track. My only complaints is your album art doesn't do any of the tracks justice.
Thanks benjified and thank you for the follow and support on bandcamp.

Your comment about album art is interesting and something I have not considered before. I am totally guilty of finding free royalty free images and the adding the title of the song etc.

Would you mind giving an idea of what may be more suitable as I don't have a clue. I am thinking perhaps having a look on beatport should give me an idea.

Thanks again πŸ‘

benjified

26 Feb 2024

Hi Popey,

I'm digging through some old images I made when I was on Propellerhead Discover / Allihoopa in 2015 - 2017. I've honestly used whatever I can get my hands on for album art, sometimes royalty free or public domain images, but also stuff from movies or video games (which probably couldn't be used for commercial purposes). Most of the time, I try to edit them in a way to make them more interesting, using filters, layering stuff in. I think text and fonts, and where to place them are important. It was a struggle though, so a lot of my stuff doesn't have any text. It's not too hard and doesn't require an expensive Adobe subscription. I started with Gimp, but then spent $60ish on Affinity Photo to do my edits.

TLDR: nothing wrong with royalty free images, but definitely try to dress it up a bit. Tastefully, of course.

I can't say I've done anything supreme, but here's some of what I did back in the day on Allihoopa. I

cupstate ampfire remix.png
cupstate ampfire remix.png (566.28 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
transmission 2.png
transmission 2.png (612.17 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Template - 2016 - pink sky - nuclear.png
Template - 2016 - pink sky - nuclear.png (488.39 KiB) Viewed 2608 times

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2024

26 Feb 2024
Hi Popey,

I'm digging through some old images I made when I was on Propellerhead Discover / Allihoopa in 2015 - 2017. I've honestly used whatever I can get my hands on for album art, sometimes royalty free or public domain images, but also stuff from movies or video games (which probably couldn't be used for commercial purposes). Most of the time, I try to edit them in a way to make them more interesting, using filters, layering stuff in. I think text and fonts, and where to place them are important. It was a struggle though, so a lot of my stuff doesn't have any text. It's not too hard and doesn't require an expensive Adobe subscription. I started with Gimp, but then spent $60ish on Affinity Photo to do my edits.

TLDR: nothing wrong with royalty free images, but definitely try to dress it up a bit. Tastefully, of course.

I can't say I've done anything supreme, but here's some of what I did back in the day on Allihoopa. I

cupstate ampfire remix.png

transmission 2.png

Template - 2016 - pink sky - nuclear.png
Thanks for the advice and sharing images, I really like the 3rd one.

Since your comment I have been noticing artwork a lot more and seeing if there are any common themes. Think more abstract/futuristic stuff seems common in my musical genres so something to focus on next time I make a track. Artwork certainly needs to be more than an afterthought which it currently is.

Might even look to see what artwork packages are affordable or if I can use pixlr still but use more functionality.

Thanks again πŸ‘

PhillipOrdonez

27 Feb 2024

Yeah the art is the next step for you, Popey

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
27 Feb 2024
Yeah the art is the next step for you, Popey
Along with still improving on the music yes. Artwork is one more thing to learn but gotta put the effort in πŸ˜‚

benjified

27 Feb 2024

I'd like to respond further, but I think I'll start on new topic.

Popey
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2024

27 Feb 2024
I'd like to respond further, but I think I'll start on new topic.
Sounds like a plan and from a purely selfish view i am sure I would learn a lot from a discussion around people's artwork.

• Information