(Jungle) University Challenge

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
MirrorEyEs

29 Jan 2024

Had a bit of fun with the samples from the game show!

Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

mimidancer

29 Jan 2024

Love the sound of the snare. The detuned synth is also nice. When the hit line comes in I go s prodigy vibe. I was expecting heavy bigbeat sounding drums to drop. Nice restraint sticking with the thin natural-sounding drums.

sudio

30 Jan 2024

Nice !

MirrorEyEs

01 Feb 2024

I was expecting heavy bigbeat sounding drums to drop. Nice restraint sticking with the thin natural-sounding drums
I was aiming for straight-laced evolving to dirtier. Old school leanings, a sprinkle of 93 Darkcore, without too many obvious rinsed to death samples.

Three different drum breaks, some edits, pitch bends, FX and the very obvious tape stops. The breaks themselves got a lot of processing to not sound completely lo-fi and muffled. Modern DnB breaks are often sequenced to grid and have a lot of drum enhancement/replacement. Sometimes just the groove is emulated with much cleaner hits!

The detuned synth is Antidote with the notes a semitone apart but I could have detuned the voices for one finger action and as it's just good old saw waves, could have been achieved in almost any subtractive synth.

The rave style minor 3rd stabs are from Thor.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

MirrorEyEs

12 Feb 2024

Updated link. Sorry for the bump!

I tried to get the master louder because the Youtube normalisation process reduces the level by 5.6db. It is a pretty loud master hovering around -8 LUFS in keeping with similar tracks, Youtube likes -14 apparently! Tried a few things including -14 but it was worse and ended up even quieter, so I went with a slightly lower ceiling and gave up. Lesson learned wish I hadn't bothered TBH :D

• Information