Now's now (techno)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
danc

28 Jan 2024

My noodling with electronic mangling experiments, crushing and denting paths, newfangled's new plugin recirculate, FX on the kick (dropkick / kickshaper), vox vocoders, needle sharp dipping of 60hz, mono mixing with a frequency roll-off between 800hz and 20Hz and baby audio's transit:

Here's "Now's now" - take a listen now:

Thoughts?
Check my Soundcloud:

mimidancer

29 Jan 2024

Now's now has some very cool percussion. I enjoyed it as it evolved. Def has a Chicago house feel. Also enjoyed the filtering on the drums at a few breaks.

Bare Knuckles is also nice you for sure have a vibe. be well.

sudio

30 Jan 2024

The track sounds very good ! May be you could share some details on your mixing / mastering procedure ? I also like the sounds and how the track evolves.

danc

01 Feb 2024

sudio wrote:
30 Jan 2024
The track sounds very good ! May be you could share some details on your mixing / mastering procedure ? I also like the sounds and how the track evolves.
TLDR warning!

Mastering wise - I run through a template that is then tweaked to order:
- Mastering the mix Bassmaster to ensure the bass is within the expected limits of the genre
- SSL Fusion plugins (HPF/Drive/EQ/HF compressor/Stereo/Transformer)
- Bettermaker EQ232D - tidy up a few EQ issues
- Sonible smart:comp2 - shaving max 1.7db - gain to balance loss
- SSL master bus compressor- shaving max 2db - gain to balance loss
- Elysia alpha compressor - shaving max 2db - gain to balance loss
- Dangerous Music BAX EQ - to compensate for any EQ degrade via compressors
- TEOTE
- Oxford Infiltrator
- Fabfilter Pro-L - pushed to shave around 3db (max) of heaviest transients, aiming for a LUFS around 9-10.
- Run it through Tonal Balance Control 2 to ensure it's balanced right for the genre I'm aiming for

Mixing - I nearly always start with kick and bass and get those to sit tight together, allowing each one to breath and not fight. Run through various processes on each track (e.g. Black Box Analog Design HG-2, Dropkick, Kickshaper, UAD Studer A800 tape etc etc), and then compress as required. Then run into all other drums, ending up with RC20, Mäag Audio EQ2 (for a bit of air manipulation), UAD API 2500 Bus compressor, Oxford limiter to get all of that glued together and tight. With the rest I have been playing around with Newfangled's new Recirculate delay, always add a bit of Reason's Echo rack, etc etc.

Talk to me about any of that if you wish.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information