[Dnb] - Window - A/B Between 2 audio

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Heigen5

21 Jan 2024

Hi!

I've mixed the same song with different speakers, so this is a A/B comparison between the two files. When I mixed these with each monitor, I kind went towards what I thought would sound decent via both monitors. And to be honest here, one of the monitors kinda forced me to mixe the way I did. I'm not telling yet that what are the speakers for each mix. I ask you to tell YOUR opinion that which mix is better. I can say that both monitors are in the same praice-range. So yeah, Go!

Heigen5

21 Jan 2024

Two people have voted for the first one on the other forums, so I made a 3rd one too, which is something inbetween the first 2.

Heigen5

22 Jan 2024

So yeah, I got it all together and relased a final version, this one is now finished.
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14668125

selig
RE Developer

22 Jan 2024

I think I prefer the first but have not listened critically (maybe a good thing?).

But this shows what I’ve long been taught, that you choose the mix monitor that all but forces you to mix better. The ‘catch’ is that the best monitor will be different for each of us! If you are sensitive to bright sounds you may mix dull on a bright monitor - solution, get a darker monitor (or dial down the tweeter level if possible). Same for folks (like me) that like to mix bass heavy, which is to turn up the sub so I don’t feel the need to add more low end on the mix!

Proper pairing of your “ears” with your monitors is similar to how one pairs a dark mic with an overly bright instrument in order to get the results you want. Bottom line for me, it was much easier to adjust my monitor situation and just “mix as I heard it” than to try to learn how to work around monitors that are not a good match for our hearing.

Cool track btw!
Selig Audio, LLC

Heigen5

22 Jan 2024

selig wrote:
22 Jan 2024
I think I prefer the first but have not listened critically (maybe a good thing?).

But this shows what I’ve long been taught, that you choose the mix monitor that all but forces you to mix better. The ‘catch’ is that the best monitor will be different for each of us! If you are sensitive to bright sounds you may mix dull on a bright monitor - solution, get a darker monitor (or dial down the tweeter level if possible). Same for folks (like me) that like to mix bass heavy, which is to turn up the sub so I don’t feel the need to add more low end on the mix!

Proper pairing of your “ears” with your monitors is similar to how one pairs a dark mic with an overly bright instrument in order to get the results you want. Bottom line for me, it was much easier to adjust my monitor situation and just “mix as I heard it” than to try to learn how to work around monitors that are not a good match for our hearing.

Cool track btw!
Thanx for the feedback. After I switched to KRK Rokit 5 4G, the previous mixes seem a bit to "loosen" and too saturated for me. Also some of the highend spikes and the "ouch" freqs were more present when I checked via my Status C1 headphones. I dunno, I like the soundclick mix more of (at least via the Rokits) and the cans too, but most other listeners also preferred the original one (but some haven't heard the final one yet tho). I want to mix clean and acurate mixes, dunno.. Yeah there's integrated backside mini-screens with EQ and Contrast options for the Rokits, but right now I use the default settings. Lets see, I like to mix with these so far. Cheers Selig for your input! :thumbup:

Heigen5

24 Jan 2024

Ok, guys...

Here's the final mix mastered with my secret weapon.. Here's a .reason file, that masteres the digital sounding track into a musical "oldschoolish" masterpiece.
Try this effect yourself too, it fixes it into a goldmine: https://www.reflexion-x.com/downloads/W ... nal.reason

You could replace my audio track into yours and try to polish it with my 13 years long DSP-effect that also sounds "brownish" too.
How do you like it (feedback please)?

This effect is for the PC-people only as it needs the ReaPlugs (that are free and can be downloaded here): https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

• Information