Need help with my first trance track

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
EuphoricArts

24 Dec 2023

Hello everyone. I've been an avid trance music listener since 2006 when I first discovered ASOT album by AvB. I fell in love with this genre ever since. My all-time favorite track is Envio - For You (Original Mix) but there are plenty of other favorites such as Fable - Above (Original Mix), Arksun - Arisen (Original Mix), etc. I am a classically trained pianist and have quite a bit of knowledge in music theory, so one day I decided to make my own production, but I have no experience in DAW whatsoever. I initially purchased Reason software because I learned at the time that Envio (aka. real name Ashkan Fardost who already left the music industry) used it for his productions back in 2000s and he was pretty much and continues to be my role model. So I thought maybe I could use the software for starting up but. I struggled with the software a bit, but learned most of what I know now from Youtube videos. I still have long ways to go.

I managed to create my first trance track, but I used music loops for the breakdown from a sound bank that I purchased. Ideally, I would have liked and wanted to create everything from scratch, but I'm struggling to put everything together. Now, I do have a final track completed, and I added some piano bits as well but I think it still needs to be revised or edited, and of course, mastered.

I would like some help from an experienced trance music producer in polishing my track, or maybe revising it altogether if that's what it takes. I didn't publish the track but I uploaded it to Soundcloud. Feel free to give it a listen and I appreciate any tips or advice, or anyone who'd be willing to take on this project with me and help me publish my first track.

https://on.soundcloud.com/1EaK1

Thank you so much.
YH

WolfZeit

27 Dec 2023

This is good stuff. You've chosen great sounds and the melody works. I like the mix of the piano with the trance synths. The transitions between the different parts are done really well. The suggestion I would make is to let the arp pattern (0.30) come in by itself for a few bars, before the piano comes in on top of it. And I'd lower the levels of that agressive boom at 5.19 or change it into a different sound effect. Overall you've done a great job. You hear tracks just like this on trance DJs mixes on Soundcloud. If I were you I'd message a few with the link to Nostalgia.

neogamist

29 Dec 2023

First off - huge congrats on starting your production journey and putting together your first trance track! It's always exciting but nerve-wracking sharing creative work for the first time.

I listened to your track and you definitely have a good foundation here. The overall atmosphere and vibe are solidly in the uplifting trance zone. Nice job layering in those driving basslines and sparkly arpeggios that give the track forward momentum. The breakdown at 2:30 is a nice change of pace too leading back into the main beat.

In terms of polishing and finishing touches:

- The mix could use some level balancing, eq'ing and compression to glue elements together better and create space. The mids and lows clash at points.

- Extra transition FX or riser/downlifter effects could enhance section changes like before the breakdown.

- Adding some live instrumentation like piano in breakdown sections would make it more dynamic.

- The arrangement could use more variation - try building and stripping back layers, effects or filters to progress.

I'd be happy to collaborate and provide more specific production tips! Feel free to DM me if you want to go into details. Keep at it - this is really great work for your first trance attempt. The most important thing is finishing tracks to get experience. You'll only get better from here!

• Information