In need of a mix critique...(Hip Hop Song with Vocals)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
FrankJaeger

24 Dec 2023

Hi everyone, hope your day is going well.

So, I have a song that I just finished as a starting point for an EP and I need a second (3rd and 4th if I can get it :lol: ) pair of critical ears to tell me how the mix sounds. I've been studying audio mixing really intensely and have applied everything that I've learned up to this point to this song. Can y'all have a listen and give some feedback please?

Thanks.

Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Reminiscence

24 Dec 2023

more bass needed! imo

Mattvank

24 Dec 2023

More Focus on the vocals. There are too many Elements arround them.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2023

Premised that this is not a genre I frequent much, I can still say that that lead that starts when the vocals also enter (i.e., at 0:15) needs to be removed completely. The reasons why I say such a trancey thing are as follows.

1) It has its fundamental frequency rather high in the spectrum, while the vocal is on a low register with the result that the latter is overpowered by the lead

2) It has a rather rigid rhythmic pattern based on eighth notes, and because of its preponderance, it completely kills the rapper's flow.

3) It follows a melody (in key, ok) but that seems generative in origin, without intelligible phrasing and without refrains: it is not necessary, it is not memeorable and as mentioned in the previous two points, it would be better if it were not there.

About of mix, maybe a little more energy in the bass (as mentioned by others) would not hurt, even just a little harmonic saturation above 250 Hz to give some presence and grit

At the composition level , perhaps some sort of chorus is needed. Something that punctuates the track and divides it into sections, because right now there is a unique flow, even quite tight from start to finish.

It is not my genre, but I think my advice can help you in some way. Good luck and have a Merry Christmas!

WarStar

24 Dec 2023

It's pretty decent! I'd bump up the low end a little more.. vocals need a little more eq sculpting, a little subtractive EQing might get it to sit a tad better cuz they feel a little too up front.. and turn up the sides a little more... other than that it sounds good!

FrankJaeger

26 Dec 2023

Reminiscence wrote:
24 Dec 2023
more bass needed! imo
One of the last things I did was add a LPF to the 808 because I thought it was too aggressive. Turns out it was ME being too aggressive. Hip Hop with a lack of bass is unforgivable so thanks for pointing it out. :thumbup:
Mattvank wrote:
24 Dec 2023
More Focus on the vocals. There are too many Elements arround them.
By "around them", do you mean the panning? or do you mean the surrounding instruments need better EQ? Either way, thanks a ton for listening.
Quarmat wrote:
24 Dec 2023
Premised that this is not a genre I frequent much, I can still say that that lead that starts when the vocals also enter (i.e., at 0:15) needs to be removed completely. The reasons why I say such a trancey thing are as follows.

1) It has its fundamental frequency rather high in the spectrum, while the vocal is on a low register with the result that the latter is overpowered by the lead

2) It has a rather rigid rhythmic pattern based on eighth notes, and because of its preponderance, it completely kills the rapper's flow.

3) It follows a melody (in key, ok) but that seems generative in origin, without intelligible phrasing and without refrains: it is not necessary, it is not memeorable and as mentioned in the previous two points, it would be better if it were not there.

About of mix, maybe a little more energy in the bass (as mentioned by others) would not hurt, even just a little harmonic saturation above 250 Hz to give some presence and grit

At the composition level , perhaps some sort of chorus is needed. Something that punctuates the track and divides it into sections, because right now there is a unique flow, even quite tight from start to finish.

It is not my genre, but I think my advice can help you in some way. Good luck and have a Merry Christmas!
I was kinda going against the grain with the arrangement on this which is why there isn't much of a chorus/hook and the lead synth COULD use some work but I'm not sold on completely removing it quite yet. Before I add saturation to the bass though, I'ma back off the LPF that I put on the 808 and see if that fills up the sound enough. Either way thank you so much for listening AND taking the time to write a critique. I really, really appreciate it.
WarStar wrote:
24 Dec 2023
It's pretty decent! I'd bump up the low end a little more.. vocals need a little more eq sculpting, a little subtractive EQing might get it to sit a tad better cuz they feel a little too up front.. and turn up the sides a little more... other than that it sounds good!
Thank you for listening. My feelings are kinda hurt (not really :lol: ) because everyone mentioned the lack of bass, which bass is a staple and literal calling card of hip hop. I'll be taking everything that you and everyone else has said into consideration going forward.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

• Information