[Electronic/Synthwave] The Eye

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Quarmat
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2023

Hello,
In this month and the previous month I was working on a piece, quite ambitious because of the techniques I want to use and the important vocal part (mixing and producing vocals is one of the hardest things for me), after dozens of mixes and frustrated that the vocals were not coming the way I wanted they did I had a creative burnout of a few weeks. So I took Andrew Huang's advice and made another piece, therapeutic, with no expectations, composed and produced using my knowledge but without thinking too much about it. Without wanting it at all cost "on par" with a mental image of "excellence" that I tend to when I write my own stuff and that overwhelms me and puts a lot of pressure on me. Result: I feel better and I think the song is not even that bad (yes, I probably overdid the parallel compression :) ).

Thanks for listening!

P.S.
the piece refers to a philosophical/psychological concept known in the Anglosphere as "Ego" (although I think it is a misleading term, as it is ambiguous and used by different disciplines), elsewhere as the Black Operal or as the Antagonist. If you are interested in the topic we can discuss it perhaps in a thread in the kitchen

robussc

19 Dec 2023

Enjoying the track and yeah the compression is a bit OTT. Bass is lovely and funky! And perhaps a few too many musical ideas packed in? The intro is a bit weak IMHO. I'd pick a theme from later to intro the track? It doesn't communicate the mood IMHO. The vocal was also a bit buried in places?

I think you could rework it into something awesome, as there's so much good stuff in there already! :)
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mimidancer

19 Dec 2023

I enjoyed the overall feel of the track as someone who enjoys dancing the broken transitions would be all kinds of fun. The compression did not sound out of place to me. Best of all you let yourself embrace the moment. I like your brain and how it pushes you to perfection. But this track is more about spirit. Your spirit is lovely. Trust it.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2023

robussc wrote:
19 Dec 2023
Enjoying the track and yeah the compression is a bit OTT. Bass is lovely and funky! And perhaps a few too many musical ideas packed in? The intro is a bit weak IMHO. I'd pick a theme from later to intro the track? It doesn't communicate the mood IMHO. The vocal was also a bit buried in places?

I think you could rework it into something awesome, as there's so much good stuff in there already! :)
Thank you for the feedback, I have edited the mix (and mastering) based on your input. Regarding the somewhat weak intro, I prefer it that way, because it is a song that has to start slowly almost with a soundscape, because it conforms to the theme and image I want to convey, that of the approach of a huge, boundless entity that induces megalophobia. Regarding too many musical ideas, it may be, but on closer inspection if you exclude the bridge at 3:02 the whole song is built on one harmonic turn and I think a change was necessary. I thank you again for the feedback-that's how I understand where to improve and what I exaggerate/neglect!
mimidancer wrote:
19 Dec 2023
I enjoyed the overall feel of the track as someone who enjoys dancing the broken transitions would be all kinds of fun. The compression did not sound out of place to me. Best of all you let yourself embrace the moment. I like your brain and how it pushes you to perfection. But this track is more about spirit. Your spirit is lovely. Trust it.
Thank you for your encouraging words, Mimi. After reading them I found that I really needed them. I try to do my best, but of course I am my own worst enemy.This is a beautiful community and you are an excellent member of it, loyal, just and unafraid of toil. ♥

Rene Disco

13 Mar 2024

Really dope. Reminds me of the last Electro era music. Sounds like the music Samplestar use to make. Sounds perfect to me.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2024

Rene Disco wrote:
13 Mar 2024
Really dope. Reminds me of the last Electro era music. Sounds like the music Samplestar use to make. Sounds perfect to me.
Thank you, I am not aware of Samplestar's music. I didi a quick google search but I only found a sample packs maker with this name, so I am not sure. Thank you for appreciating my track, though. It means a lot to me.

Rene Disco

13 Mar 2024

I can't find the other ones but here's one of them. Your song, the arrangement, melody, and sound effects is awesome to me. You sure know what you're doing. If they remade a Werewolf (1987) series, The Eye would be an Excellent theme song.

WolfZeit

15 Mar 2024

It opens really well, that noise is intriguing to the ear. When the bass hits and the sound opens up is a great moment. Part of me loves the madness that comes at 2.33, the other part wished the track had carried on developing with the feel of the first section. Nice ending, nice tune 👍🏻

Quarmat
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2024

Rene Disco wrote:
13 Mar 2024
I can't find the other ones but here's one of them. Your song, the arrangement, melody, and sound effects is awesome to me. You sure know what you're doing. If they remade a Werewolf (1987) series, The Eye would be an Excellent theme song.
Thx for your kind words. Yeah the imaginary 80s are a big part of my inspo territory :) Also, thank you for sharing the Samplestar track. Cool sounds and production. Something i hope will be able to achieve in the future.
WolfZeit wrote:
15 Mar 2024
It opens really well, that noise is intriguing to the ear. When the bass hits and the sound opens up is a great moment. Part of me loves the madness that comes at 2.33, the other part wished the track had carried on developing with the feel of the first section. Nice ending, nice tune 👍🏻
Thank you for your encouragement! I wanted to mix up the danceable spirit of the song with an abrasive section because the thematic required it. Thank you again!

Popey
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2024

Hey Quarmat this is really cool.

Only constructive criticism would be the change at 3:09 which seemed to change a bit too much to retain that common thread from before that point.

Really love the groove you impart into your tunes. Proper dancing material.

• Information