You Move Me (Indie Pop)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Ottostrom

25 Nov 2023

I'm releasing a new EP next month and this is the first single :)

Thousand Ways

25 Nov 2023

Very mellow, in a Belle & Sebastian, Air, French (or at least European) pop sort of way. I have to admit that, at the point at which the main vocal begins, I was wondering whether a laidback rap would come in – something like Rockers Hi-Fi. Is this all made with Reason?

guitfnky

25 Nov 2023

really nice! the backing vocals are great and gave me slightly chiller MGMT vibes. love the vocals, guitars, and arrangement. the key change sounds very slightly unnatural to me, for some reason—almost as if the instruments were pitched in the DAW after the fact as opposed to playing through the change on the guitar and bass, but I love the way it sounds after my brain settles back in.

fantastic work!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

crimsonwarlock

25 Nov 2023

Wow, beautiful track, both composition-wise and production. Some of the best I've heard around here. Not the kind of music I make myself, but definitely the kind I like to listen to.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Ottostrom

26 Nov 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
25 Nov 2023
Very mellow, in a Belle & Sebastian, Air, French (or at least European) pop sort of way. I have to admit that, at the point at which the main vocal begins, I was wondering whether a laidback rap would come in – something like Rockers Hi-Fi. Is this all made with Reason?
Very interesting to hear that you're picking up a European vibe! It's not something I've ever deliberately aimed for, but being from Finland I guess it does make sense lol.
Everything is produced/mixed in Reason and almost only using rack extensions

Ottostrom

26 Nov 2023

guitfnky wrote:
25 Nov 2023
really nice! the backing vocals are great and gave me slightly chiller MGMT vibes. love the vocals, guitars, and arrangement. the key change sounds very slightly unnatural to me, for some reason—almost as if the instruments were pitched in the DAW after the fact as opposed to playing through the change on the guitar and bass, but I love the way it sounds after my brain settles back in.

fantastic work!
Haha I feel very exposed now but I have to hand it to you, you have a keen ear for detail! I was indeed too lazy to record the parts separately for the key change, which is basically a crime for this sort of stuff, but I really felt like the transposing was good enough that people wouldn't notice :oops:
Thank you for the kind words and for teaching me a lesson :lol:

crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 Nov 2023
Wow, beautiful track, both composition-wise and production. Some of the best I've heard around here. Not the kind of music I make myself, but definitely the kind I like to listen to.
Thank you so much man! Glad you like it :)

guitfnky

26 Nov 2023

in fairness, I had to listen to that part 4 or 5 times to be sure *I* even felt like I’d heard something. it’s very subtle, and the more important point is that it’s a really good song. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ChulaCoola

30 Nov 2023

Overall, the song sounds really good. It definitely has an easy listening sound. Maybe the music would be Hall and Oats sounding? Not the voice, but the music.

The song has an easily memorable and repeatable melody and the song develops very logically and nicely.

The vocals sound really good. It sounds natural and unforced. Good job!

On the 4th listen though I noticed the ending was quite abrupt. Maybe you could end the vocals/instruments but keep vocal mic on record for a few seconds to catch residual resonance from the vocals. Or maybe add the sound of "the studio tape recorder" "running" for a few seconds afterwards. Or perhaps add in some instrument/vocal resonance after the end of the vocals/instruments.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

Ottostrom

01 Dec 2023

ChulaCoola wrote:
30 Nov 2023
Overall, the song sounds really good. It definitely has an easy listening sound. Maybe the music would be Hall and Oats sounding? Not the voice, but the music.

The song has an easily memorable and repeatable melody and the song develops very logically and nicely.

The vocals sound really good. It sounds natural and unforced. Good job!

On the 4th listen though I noticed the ending was quite abrupt. Maybe you could end the vocals/instruments but keep vocal mic on record for a few seconds to catch residual resonance from the vocals. Or maybe add the sound of "the studio tape recorder" "running" for a few seconds afterwards. Or perhaps add in some instrument/vocal resonance after the end of the vocals/instruments.
Calling the instrumental Hall & Oats sounding makes me very happy because I LOVE Hall & Oats :D
Maybe that's where I need to take the vocals as well, as I like to practice my range to Rich Girl lol

Thank you for the feedback! I remember really liking how the ending sounded once I was done with the song and I still think the wind-down feel alright, but I agree that the time it takes for the guitar and vocals to go to complete silence is a bit jarringly fast. Will keep this in mind for future songs :thumbs_up:

• Information