Open to suggestions and feedback (Weird song)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2023

So this one is a work in progress. I've not yet commited fully to anything in this song, except that I'm going for something on the weirder/spookier side. Feel free to make suggestions to anything, whether that's musical ideas, arrangement, mixing, proper song name...
This is a song where I'm open to experimentation and trying things out.

guitfnky

04 Nov 2023

ooh, this is sinister as hell. 👏🏼 I could envision some haunting vocals (not necessarily lyrics, just like a doomy choir or staccato chants with maybe some cathedral-like reverb in a couple of spots). otherwise I think it’s really effective as it is!

it sounds like it would be right at home in a Warhammer 40k video game.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2023

guitfnky wrote:
04 Nov 2023
ooh, this is sinister as hell. 👏🏼 I could envision some haunting vocals (not necessarily lyrics, just like a doomy choir or staccato chants with maybe some cathedral-like reverb in a couple of spots). otherwise I think it’s really effective as it is!

it sounds like it would be right at home in a Warhammer 40k video game.
Thanks. The choir idea is interesting. Might play around with that and see what happens.

robussc

04 Nov 2023

Yeah definitely some kind of vocal would be great. Getting a bit of an Einsturzende vibe. “Night in the Asylum” :)

Not super loving the organ sound. Perhaps just a little too forward in the mix? Or a bit of reverb or something?
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

dvdrtldg

05 Nov 2023

I kinda like it but it feels a little too predictable to be really unsettling. Everything's happening in multiples of 4, I'd mix that up a bit. And the snare sound is great, but by about halfway through I'm finding it a little too insistent & repetitive - feel inclined to rein it in slightly and maybe dub it up here & there with some crazy delay action

Also maybe have a think about a middle section that goes somewhere completely different, keeping some recognisable elements of the song but burying them deep and getting dark & droney

Of course I now realise I'm encouraging you to take your stuff and make it more like my stuff :lol:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2023

robussc wrote:
04 Nov 2023
Getting a bit of an Einsturzende vibe. “Night in the Asylum” :)
I think I just found a new artist to check out. Listened to a few clips of Einstürzende Neubauten on youtube. Never heard them before. Quite interesting stuff.
robussc wrote:
04 Nov 2023
Not super loving the organ sound. Perhaps just a little too forward in the mix? Or a bit of reverb or something?
Just to clarify, what instrument do mean when you say organ? I'm guessing you mean the one at 0:34 playing the chords?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Nov 2023
I kinda like it but it feels a little too predictable to be really unsettling. Everything's happening in multiples of 4, I'd mix that up a bit. And the snare sound is great, but by about halfway through I'm finding it a little too insistent & repetitive - feel inclined to rein it in slightly and maybe dub it up here & there with some crazy delay action

Also maybe have a think about a middle section that goes somewhere completely different, keeping some recognisable elements of the song but burying them deep and getting dark & droney

Of course I now realise I'm encouraging you to take your stuff and make it more like my stuff :lol:
I'm digging the idea of some snare delay action. Or any form of delay action. :puf_smile: I think I might play around with that. I am looking for ways to make small variations throughout the song when some parts gets replayed and perhaps add some more details in the background, so this could defintely be one way to do it.

Adding a middle section or some form of new part has crossed my mind as well, though I might be too lazy to come up with one. We'll see. :puf_smile:

robussc

05 Nov 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Nov 2023

I think I just found a new artist to check out. Listened to a few clips of Einstürzende Neubauten on youtube. Never heard them before. Quite interesting stuff.
Cool! Yeah - they've quite the industrial/disturbed sound.
Just to clarify, what instrument do mean when you say organ? I'm guessing you mean the one at 0:34 playing the chords?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the one. It's not seeming like it's sitting in the mix nicely for some reason.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2023

robussc wrote:
05 Nov 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Nov 2023

Cool! Yeah - they've quite the industrial/disturbed sound.
Yeah, that's the one. It's not seeming like it's sitting in the mix nicely for some reason.
[/quote]
Alright thanks for replying. I quite like that sound myself actually, so I'm probably very I'm likely to keep it. It's actually not an organ sound at all, which is why I got confused. It's a supersaw patch I made with Megasaur. It's also the sound that kicked the whole song off so I'm pretty attached to it at this point. I might tame/EQ it though, especially during the higher notes when the higher frequencies are more audible.

robussc

05 Nov 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Nov 2023
Alright thanks for replying. I quite like that sound myself actually, so I'm probably very I'm likely to keep it. It's actually not an organ sound at all, which is why I got confused. It's a supersaw patch I made with Megasaur. It's also the sound that kicked the whole song off so I'm pretty attached to it at this point. I might tame/EQ it though, especially during the higher notes when the higher frequencies are more audible.
No worries, all subjective of course :)

• Information