(synthwave) Shadow Of A Doubt

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
raymondh

13 Oct 2023

Hi everyone,

As usual this song isn't pure Reason, it is hardware synths, processed with a lot of Reason Rack Plug-ins, using Reaper as DAW. There are a couple of rack extension synths used though, Polysix RE and Viking 2.
Very busy arrangement, mostly for layering to get a big sound - over 100 tracks, and using the excellent trackspacer VST to carve out frequencies to let the vocals and drums cut through the density of the polysynths.

ChulaCoola

19 Oct 2023

What is synthwave, and what time period was it? Who are some bands in this genre?

I finally listened to this and it sounds great! It reminds me of maybe Duran-Duran or something like that, especially the vocals. I am not terribly knowledgeable about 80's pop- rock music, as I was far more into the 60's/70's rock at the time. But I definitely heard PLENTY of 80's music. So maybe somebody can correct me on who that sounds like.

Yes, it does have a big sound! I like it!
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

raymondh

20 Oct 2023

ChulaCoola wrote:
19 Oct 2023
What is synthwave, and what time period was it? Who are some bands in this genre?

I finally listened to this and it sounds great! It reminds me of maybe Duran-Duran or something like that, especially the vocals. I am not terribly knowledgeable about 80's pop- rock music, as I was far more into the 60's/70's rock at the time. But I definitely heard PLENTY of 80's music. So maybe somebody can correct me on who that sounds like.

Yes, it does have a big sound! I like it!
Thank you very much! Appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

I really don't know much about genres (generally) - but for me the synthwave sound is characterised by a few formulaic elements - the 8th or 16th note simple basslines (with some sidechaining etc), simple drum patterns with 4 on floor kicks and prominent snares with gated reverb, arpeggios or synth lines, more instrumental than vocal, etc. And while synthwave often goes synonymous with retro 80s, TBH I don't remember listening to anything in the 80s that sounded like today's synthwave :)
Some others here might have a much more educated view on what defines the genre!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2023

Sounds great. Really nice tune! :thumbs_up:

Bloma

21 Oct 2023

Cool song. Synths sound really great.

I honestly could imagine it quite a bit more intense as it builds, for example more prominent hi hats/percussion that really emphasize the groove. The tom roll that hits at 2:19 sounds great, but the section after doesn't do it justice.

I feel the clap/snare doesn't quite sit right in the mix. It could do with a bit more thwak.

I could also imagine a bit more delay or something like that on the vocals in the chorus to give it a lift.

The sidechain is at a good level I think.

robussc

21 Oct 2023

Looking forward to listening as I’m an aficionado of the genre. And yes, today’s synthwave is generally a lot more muscular (for lack of a better word) than that produced in the 80s, IMHO.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mimidancer

21 Oct 2023

pretty

robussc

23 Oct 2023

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed much of it. The vocal in the bridge is especially striking, I think the main vocal should be rethought in that light, because the singer seems a bit emotionless? Of course a cold vocal is perfectly suited to synthwave but this doesn’t seem cold, just flat.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

Mattvank

24 Oct 2023

Made for playing live. The melody and voice catch me immediately. Makes hungry for more:)

Noplan
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2024

Good work, I like it. I find the vocals a bit too dry. There is also space for a long delay in the verses between the vocal breaks. I kind of expected it.

jappe

03 Mar 2024

I love everything with this song.
The vocals sticks out in a nice way in this busy mix!
I'm curious about ifTrackspacer is better in any way than the Carve EQ ducker RE. I remember someone asking the dev how many bands Carve used...unfortunately I don't remember the reply...

tomusurp

03 Mar 2024

Oh yeah, the sounds and mixing is nice. Love the bass sound except I think you should have made it slightly more melodic. Overall it's very good, and I see the bass melody is changing during the hook at around 1:10 mar. Very well mixed, and I love that raspy panning sound that goes from left to right
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/@usurptom
https://www.usurptom.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information