Work in progress material / Test bits

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2023

I usually don't share my music at this stage of creating. Typically if I share "work in progress material" it's usually just at the very end of a project/song. Maybe I'll tweak things in the mix here and there, but otherwise the song is pretty much done.

Just thought it could be fun to share some "raw" material for once that isn't yet fully written, arranged, produced or mixed. We always just get to see the polished finished stuff.
These are 4 different bits that I've started. I put them in the same song link. Some bits are more fleshed out than others. But they are all in the fairly early stage where lots of things can change and be added. They are in the "throw shit on the wall" stage. Some of them might not even turn into full songs.

selig
RE Developer

18 Sep 2023

Man, you are almost as much all over the place as I am. Love them all, each for different reasons.
Fun to hear other folks WIP, I should share some of mine in a similar format…. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2023

selig wrote:
18 Sep 2023
Man, you are almost as much all over the place as I am. Love them all, each for different reasons.
Fun to hear other folks WIP, I should share some of mine in a similar format…. :)
Yeah things tend to get pretty varied over here at Tritone Studios :puf_smile:
Yes post some WIP too. I'm all for it.

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2023

Nice varied interesting pieces across many genres.

Look forward to seeing which (if not all) gets progressed.

strangers
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2023

I really like the 1st and 3rd ideas. There's already some really interesting ideas going on with plenty of room to turn them into songs. The wide variety probably works in your favor. Run out of ideas where to go with idea 1? Jump to idea 2 or 3.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
19 Sep 2023

Thanks.
I've sort of taken a different approach this time. Usually I tend to work on only one or maybe two songs at once. But this time I'm thinking I might try out starting more songs and then later decide if one style or direction interests me enough to turn into a bigger project. Some songs might get finished but not turn into a bigger project with more songs.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2023

strangers wrote:
20 Sep 2023
I really like the 1st and 3rd ideas. There's already some really interesting ideas going on with plenty of room to turn them into songs. The wide variety probably works in your favor. Run out of ideas where to go with idea 1? Jump to idea 2 or 3.
I agree. The way I feel now is that idea 1 and 3 are likely to turn into full songs.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2023

I don't think I will keep updating this thread continuously with progress on the tracks since it will most likely resemble spam posting after a while.
But I'll do it an update for the first bit at least, just in case someone enjoys seeing the development of a track over time.

It's still not finished. But at this point I've gotten far enough on the track that I pretty much know I'll finish it.
Instruments used: ChamberTronRE, Re-Tron, Ambi Urban Ambience Generator, Vecto.

bossa
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

I like the cut 2 and 4!

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Popey wrote:
19 Sep 2023

Thanks.
I've sort of taken a different approach this time. Usually I tend to work on only one or maybe two songs at once. But this time I'm thinking I might try out starting more songs and then later decide if one style or direction interests me enough to turn into a bigger project. Some songs might get finished but not turn into a bigger project with more songs.
Sounds like a good plan and if you are not feeling a particular style/genre you can potentially always work on one of the other different pieces.

If it were me I would be leaning towards 1 and 3 with perhaps 3 edging it to be worked on first.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2023

bossa wrote:
25 Sep 2023
I like the cut 2 and 4!
That's nice to hear. It's kind of cool to see that different people prefer different bits. Now every bit has gotten some love. :puf_smile:
Again I still don't fully know yet which ones of these will be turned into full songs. I'm gonna let natural in-the-moment motivation decide what I will happen to them. Last couple of days I've felt a stronge urge to work on bit 1.

Tomtom

26 Sep 2023

i like the energy of cut 1 and 3. but what really impresses me is the sound quality of cut 2 (in that early stage). may i ask how you compress your signals? could you give a little bit of insight?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2023

Tomtom wrote:
26 Sep 2023
i like the energy of cut 1 and 3. but what really impresses me is the sound quality of cut 2 (in that early stage). may i ask how you compress your signals? could you give a little bit of insight?
Sure. There's pretty gentle compression on all instruments. On melody and pads I've used McDSPs C670. That's a very slow and smooth sounding compressor. The pad has some Carve ducking on it at as well, to make way for the melody.
For the bass I've used my favorite, FRG-4RE compressor.
On drums I've put Reasons Master Bus Compressor (device).
Then everything goes through Reasons Master Bus Compressor.
Every compressor I've mentioned here is working very gently on every instrument, with a maximum of 1 dB in reduction.

Then everything goes through Ozones (RE) limiter. Again pretty gentle peak reduction. Usually I set this limiter to fast, but for a softer song like this I've chosen to go for a slower character, somewhere in the middle.

muckmclane

27 Sep 2023

I really like the second bit.
For some reason I got the feeling you didnt care much for smooth jazz music. I listened to the XSynth free refill Smooth Jazz demo many times and your song fits in with that vibe perfectly.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2023

muckmclane wrote:
27 Sep 2023
I really like the second bit.
For some reason I got the feeling you didnt care much for smooth jazz music. I listened to the XSynth free refill Smooth Jazz demo many times and your song fits in with that vibe perfectly.
Yeah it's not something I typically do. But basically the view I have regarding creativity is that I just go where an idea takes me. This time I heard this specific melody in my head and it just happen to fit within that style. I try my best not to get mentally stuck in a particular musical identity. Sometimes I want to dive deeper into a certain musical direction for a while. But overall I don't mind going from metal one day to making cartoon music the next. :puf_smile:

ChulaCoola

09 Oct 2023

The first bit makes me think of the Orcs in the cave in Lord of The Rings. Whatever part of the trilogy that was.

Now, if they come out with a sequel to that sequel, you may just have a job!

The 2nd and 4th parts I like. The third part was ok, but not my style. Trance music?
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

• Information