(Heavy/Crusty) Variable

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2023

Music has been on a bit of a backburner for me lately due to time going way too fast. Plus, I've been in a bit of a writing slump. Over the weekend, a random idea came to mind that I took a stab at. I was surprisingly productive and able to write, record and mix the whole thing in a few days. Everything was recorded and mixed with Reason, as usual.

Open to any likes, dislikes, comments, criticism, etc.

https://officialstrangers.bandcamp.com/track/variable

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2023

strangers wrote:
13 Sep 2023
Music has been on a bit of a backburner for me lately due to time going way too fast. Plus, I've been in a bit of a writing slump. Over the weekend, a random idea came to mind that I took a stab at. I was surprisingly productive and able to write, record and mix the whole thing in a few days. Everything was recorded and mixed with Reason, as usual.

Open to any likes, dislikes, comments, criticism, etc.

https://officialstrangers.bandcamp.com/track/variable
This is really good. Great riffs. The song's got both interesting rhythms and ambience.
I really like the tones and sound selection for everything. Every instrument sound great.

Song writing wise I wouldn't change a thing. I do feel like the heavy riffing guitars overpower the rest of the music a bit. I think since they are so mid heavy they'll cut through the mix even at lower volume. It would be nice to hear some more of the bass guitar to make things a bit fuller. And also maybe turn up some of the background melodies and ambience. Maybe everything falls into place with simply turning the rhythm guitars down a bit.
Another minor thing is at a few (and I mean very few) places the guitar could be slightly tighter. It's during some of the chugs, like at 0:08 and 1:16. When it comes to metal and chugs especially, it's really hard to get away with anything except super tight. Other than that I think the guitar playing was flawless.

Nice job! :thumbup:

strangers
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Sep 2023
This is really good. Great riffs. The song's got both interesting rhythms and ambience.
I really like the tones and sound selection for everything. Every instrument sound great.

Song writing wise I wouldn't change a thing. I do feel like the heavy riffing guitars overpower the rest of the music a bit. I think since they are so mid heavy they'll cut through the mix even at lower volume. It would be nice to hear some more of the bass guitar to make things a bit fuller. And also maybe turn up some of the background melodies and ambience. Maybe everything falls into place with simply turning the rhythm guitars down a bit.
Another minor thing is at a few (and I mean very few) places the guitar could be slightly tighter. It's during some of the chugs, like at 0:08 and 1:16. When it comes to metal and chugs especially, it's really hard to get away with anything except super tight. Other than that I think the guitar playing was flawless.

Nice job! :thumbup:
You've got a good ear. Everything you touched on were my main hurdles.

Rhythm guitars - I kept struggling with a volume level balance between rhythm and lead and then with the drums and bass. I purposely didn't want the leads to be too up front but could have gone about it better by turning the rhythm guitars down more. I did add volume automation in several parts but still didn't alter the overall rhythm to lead volume levels. Guitar has always been my main instrument. That always leaves with me thinking "guitars aren't too loud" even though I know they are :lol: This song was a prime example of that.

Bass - I'm really not sure why but I had a really tough time controlling the low end. I kept the kick dominant for low end which should have made it easier to keep the bass under control with it's own pocket for low/low mids. I mixed and remixed the bass numerous times until committing to what you hear. The culprit was most likely the bass amp sim I used this time around. I shelved the majority of the mids and highs to give guitars plenty of room.

Tightness - That came down to my own laziness. The bulk of my writing and recording was done at night. I re-recorded the second half of the song the next day and never re-recorded the first half. In the back of my mind, I wanted to move quick to avoid my usual of recording full songs that I never get around to mixing and releasing.

Other than that, I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Restringing my guitars and messing around with alternate tunings helped give me the added nudge to get music going again. There will most likely be more like this and will keep these things in mind. I'd like to go back and fix the parts but I know that'd be a black hole I'd rather not step into.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2023

strangers wrote:
14 Sep 2023
I'd like to go back and fix the parts but I know that'd be a black hole I'd rather not step into.
I get it. I'm not a fan of lingering on songs too long either. I do what I can and then I move on.

• Information