(SOUNDTRACK) Mechanic Dreams

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Wav-E

11 Aug 2023

Hello everyone,
I have a reason file (named 3 dreams) that a made in 2004 only with piano (NN-19) and mouse (without midi keyboard, because I didn´t have it at that time), then 6-7 years later (2000-2001) I added another piano in Combinator and pad in Malström and some sounds in NN-XT, Thor and Combinator and a random beat in dr.Rex.
Yesterday I opened the file and a made few changes (4-5hours) but nothing with the melody (I add only few instruments and a new arrangement), the melody is still made only with the mouse. 😅
Thats why I called : Mechanic Dreams
😉

P.S.
I have more melodies made back in the days (2003-2009) but I don´t like to route all cannals in the new mixer and then to check every single chanel if its allright (volume level, pan level - left,right, all fx...)...I need to find more motivation for all those old melodies (more than 500 reason projects)

WolfZeit

15 Aug 2023

That's a lovely melody. The balance of the various instruments is really good. The changes around 1.37 and 2.40 work well. The big change around 3.12 comes at just the right moment. The track ends beautifully too. if I were to make any suggestion, it would be to maybe have a little more definition around the top end/treble. But that's only a small thing, this sounds wonderful and the musicality in it is very impressive.

Chizmata

17 Aug 2023

Wav-E wrote:
11 Aug 2023
Hello everyone,
I have a reason file (named 3 dreams) that a made in 2004 only with piano (NN-19) and mouse (without midi keyboard, because I didn´t have it at that time), then 6-7 years later (2000-2001) I added another piano in Combinator and pad in Malström and some sounds in NN-XT, Thor and Combinator and a random beat in dr.Rex.
Yesterday I opened the file and a made few changes (4-5hours) but nothing with the melody (I add only few instruments and a new arrangement), the melody is still made only with the mouse. 😅
😉

P.S.
I have more melodies made back in the days (2003-2009) but I don´t like to route all cannals in the new mixer and then to check every single chanel if its allright (volume level, pan level - left,right, all fx...)...I need to find more motivation for all those old melodies (more than 500 reason projects)
while everything has a little muddy/noisy sound and the timing sounds a bit unprecise in a negative way, the musical content of melodies and progression as well as the general instrumentation are absolutely great. it's harmonic yet creative and everything flows very well into each other. if this was on an old aphex twin album (minus the criticized points), people would celebrate his genius.
Last edited by Chizmata on 17 Aug 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Thousand Ways

18 Aug 2023

Wav-E wrote:
11 Aug 2023
Hello everyone,
I have a reason file (named 3 dreams) that a made in 2004 … Yesterday I opened the file
And I thought my tracks were taking a long time. I have unfinished stuff from 2005, but you've beaten me.

To me it sounds like a classical jam, if such a thing exists, extemporisation around a theme. There's a lot going on in it melodically, but personally I'd rather that it came back to some of the same parts more often. In places it feels like it's wandering pleasantly around the keyboard. There are enough melodic clues in it for several songs, not just one.

Amazing that you did all this without an actual keyboard. That's an enormous amount of clicking, going back, listening, testing. The flow of the track really covers up the fact that there's no keyboard there. I wonder how different it would sound if you remade it with the right-hand parts actually played live.

There's only one point – around 2:57, where the lead line plays a part with repeated upward steps – at which the "automated" aspect jumps out at me.

Wav-E

03 Sep 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
18 Aug 2023
Wav-E wrote:
11 Aug 2023
Hello everyone,
I have a reason file (named 3 dreams) that a made in 2004 … Yesterday I opened the file
And I thought my tracks were taking a long time. I have unfinished stuff from 2005, but you've beaten me.

To me it sounds like a classical jam, if such a thing exists, extemporisation around a theme. There's a lot going on in it melodically, but personally I'd rather that it came back to some of the same parts more often. In places it feels like it's wandering pleasantly around the keyboard. There are enough melodic clues in it for several songs, not just one.

Amazing that you did all this without an actual keyboard. That's an enormous amount of clicking, going back, listening, testing. The flow of the track really covers up the fact that there's no keyboard there. I wonder how different it would sound if you remade it with the right-hand parts actually played live.

There's only one point – around 2:57, where the lead line plays a part with repeated upward steps – at which the "automated" aspect jumps out at me.
thanks, great that you have also old projects, try to find time for remake - it feels nostalgic and great :)
I have at least 10-15 very good old tracks that I need to remake but they are all made in the old version of reason and older mixer.
thanks for the time and your review/opinion
;)

Wav-E

03 Sep 2023

Chizmata wrote:
17 Aug 2023
Wav-E wrote:
11 Aug 2023
Hello everyone,
😉

P.S.
while everything has a little muddy/noisy sound and the timing sounds a bit unprecise in a negative way, the musical content of melodies and progression as well as the general instrumentation are absolutely great. it's harmonic yet creative and everything flows very well into each other. if this was on an old aphex twin album (minus the criticized points), people would celebrate his genius.
I was on vacation didn´t see that few already wrote here :)
thanks for the review and your time, yes I did´n want to change the melody , I was more concentrate to put all instruments in the new mixer and to leave that original flow ,but still at the end I add orchestra, violin and voice (the drums are from the old original version)

Wav-E

03 Sep 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
15 Aug 2023
That's a lovely melody. The balance of the various instruments is really good. The changes around 1.37 and 2.40 work well. The big change around 3.12 comes at just the right moment. The track ends beautifully too. if I were to make any suggestion, it would be to maybe have a little more definition around the top end/treble. But that's only a small thing, this sounds wonderful and the musicality in it is very impressive.
thanks for the review ;)
:thumbup:
I will take more time for my next remake.
I made this one a bit quick without huge changes, because the summer isn´t a good time for music production (for me) ,when is too hot and we are all going on vacation.
I already have few old projects in my mind
:)

• Information