(8 year old Tritone) - Pump Up

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

I think it's fun to see someones growth over the years. This is me at the age of 8 years old making music on the Amiga 500. I believe at this point I had been making music for about 1 year. My older brother taught me the most basic things about Pro Tracker, enough so that I could put in notes in the sequencer, load samples and save a tune on my own. And off I went. :lol:

I remember we had a bunch of discs with samples to use. And of course being a kid, I was drawn to any vocal samples I could find. :puf_smile:

I think I might post things from my Tracker music days occasionally. It could be fun.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

Sorry I just realized maybe I should have posted this in the Kitchen instead since this is not made in Reason. Mods, feel free to move the thread there if you want. And maybe delete this comment as well.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

Man I just realized I have posted this song before. Oh well. :?

Popey
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

Fair play writing this at 8. All I did was kick a football around when I was that age.

I remember my brother had a amiga 500 and I was jealous as I only had a commodore 64 with the tapes that took sometimes up to 30 minutes to load (if they did not crash during this process)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

Popey wrote:
01 Aug 2023
Fair play writing this at 8. All I did was kick a football around when I was that age.

I remember my brother had a amiga 500 and I was jealous as I only had a commodore 64 with the tapes that took sometimes up to 30 minutes to load (if they did not crash during this process)
Making music on the computer was how I started my whole musical journey. For a period I quit making music and focused most of my efforts on learning guitar instead. But eventually I found my way back to where I started. Making computer music on the computer.

The Amiga 500 was great. So many games had great music. Definitely an influence I carry with me to this day.

strangers
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2023

That's a solid effort for only having been 8. It's also pretty cool that you still have something tangible from that period of time to go back to. What was your next move for electronic music from there?

The closest thing I had to making electronic music at a younger age was MTV Music Generator on the PS1 (original PlayStation). It was like a heavily watered down DAW with a ton of samples.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2023

strangers wrote:
01 Aug 2023
That's a solid effort for only having been 8. It's also pretty cool that you still have something tangible from that period of time to go back to. What was your next move for electronic music from there?

The closest thing I had to making electronic music at a younger age was MTV Music Generator on the PS1 (original PlayStation). It was like a heavily watered down DAW with a ton of samples.
Well I grew up right when 90s Eurodance was huge. And I just loved that music. :lol: So that's what I was often trying to imitate.
I wrote this tune "GO" at the age of 10 and I remember being so fucking proud of myself. :puf_smile: This was definitely one of my stand out tracks during that time.
I think it was around this age that some of my music started sounding somewhat musical. I could pull off a decent melodic line here and there. I knew how to make a simple beat. And most of those random notes clashing against each other when I first started with music had started disappearing.

Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 02 Aug 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2023

I love these threads. Man, if only I could go back in time and teach my younger self some much needed tricks and mental health attitude, my life would have been much easier and funnier. Pretty much nice achievement you made at such a young age Tritone! They sound rad and "GO" could easily be an Amiga video game soundtrack from the era. Very very impressive. At the same age i was playing the Nescafe commercial tune on a Yamaha PSR-3 and that's all. I had no idea, at the time, that you could RECORD your music on something different than a cassette recorder with those small mics used to take vocal notes. It would have blown my mind. My dad was a coder (programmer as they use to say back in the day) so I always had quite powerful computers at home, but I never came accross a DAW/sequencer until the mid nineties.

selig
RE Developer

02 Aug 2023

Very impressive for age 8. When I was 8 man had just landed on the moon. If I had even a basic iPad with GarageBand at that age I would never have left the house. As it was, I was already playing piano daily at that age though I don’t have any recordings from then. I didn’t get to seriously work with a sequencer/computer for almost another 20 years or so…the up side was I had plenty of free time to learn to play keys and drums solidly by then, the two instruments that were ideal for the deluge of keyboard synths and drum machines to come! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2023

Quarmat wrote:
02 Aug 2023
I love these threads. Man, if only I could go back in time and teach my younger self some much needed tricks and mental health attitude, my life would have been much easier and funnier. Pretty much nice achievement you made at such a young age Tritone! They sound rad and "GO" could easily be an Amiga video game soundtrack from the era. Very very impressive. At the same age i was playing the Nescafe commercial tune on a Yamaha PSR-3 and that's all. I had no idea, at the time, that you could RECORD your music on something different than a cassette recorder with those small mics used to take vocal notes. It would have blown my mind. My dad was a coder (programmer as they use to say back in the day) so I always had quite powerful computers at home, but I never came accross a DAW/sequencer until the mid nineties.
Thanks for the kind words. It would love to hear other Reasontalkers share their early songs too. Like I said earlier it's fun to see someones progression over the years.

Well I didn't play any instrument at all until I was around 15, so whatever you were playing you were ahead of me in the instrument department.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2023

selig wrote:
02 Aug 2023
Very impressive for age 8. When I was 8 man had just landed on the moon. If I had even a basic iPad with GarageBand at that age I would never have left the house. As it was, I was already playing piano daily at that age though I don’t have any recordings from then. I didn’t get to seriously work with a sequencer/computer for almost another 20 years or so…the up side was I had plenty of free time to learn to play keys and drums solidly by then, the two instruments that were ideal for the deluge of keyboard synths and drum machines to come! ;)
Thanks.
Learning to play any "real instrument" for a period definitely helps even when creating computer based music. Guitar was my main instrument after my Tracker composing days. But I've also dabbled in some basic piano- and drum playing.

• Information