(Ambient/ObjektChallenge) Wanderers

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2023

Here's the tune I wrote for the Objekt Challenge. This is multiple instances of Objekt. I wasn't 100% sure what to expect of this RE but it surely delivers. I usually come up with several ideas and spend way too much time on them before I decide to scrap them to move on to something else. That didn't happen this time around. Fiddled through a bunch of patches and the ideas started flowing with all focus on this one idea.

Enjoy and good luck to everyone who entered this song challenge. There's a lot of great songs posted already.

Open to any comments, likes, dislikes, etc.

Or listen on Bandcamp:
https://officialstrangers.bandcamp.com/track/wanderers

Quarmat
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2023

Beautiful track indeed. To my ear it had hints of Vangelis, Glass, Kanno, Badalamenti and a bit of Yared, also. It really brings you to a journey. Buildup is magnificent and the orchestration of the various voices is optimal. Can't speak about the production bc I am on a commute and hearing it on ear buds, but sounds right to me. Excellent.

Chizmata

22 Jun 2023

strangers wrote:
21 Jun 2023
Here's the tune I wrote for the Objekt Challenge. This is multiple instances of Objekt. I wasn't 100% sure what to expect of this RE but it surely delivers. I usually come up with several ideas and spend way too much time on them before I decide to scrap them to move on to something else. That didn't happen this time around. Fiddled through a bunch of patches and the ideas started flowing with all focus on this one idea.

Enjoy and good luck to everyone who entered this song challenge. There's a lot of great songs posted already.

Open to any comments, likes, dislikes, etc.

Or listen on Bandcamp:
https://officialstrangers.bandcamp.com/track/wanderers
its a very beautiful track. there are a lot of small indiuvidual sounds which add to the overall feeling of the track without being explored themselves, but thats fine here. it creates an overwhealming feeling that carries the listener away at points.

i have some small mixing issues, like roomy sound and a lack of air, but i think we listen on very different systems that dont translate well. right now i have headphones with an exaggerated, flat response in the low end but attenuated highs, which is exactly what i hear here, so take the mixing criticism with a grain of salt.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2023

Nice. Very dreamy. Good sound selection. :puf_smile:

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2023

Great stuff! Love it. 👏

Superology

22 Jun 2023

Even if you make ambient well. It sucks because it's ambient. Poor sound in general.

Noise
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2023

Nice track, very inspirational, beautiful ambient mood!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

strangers
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

Quarmat wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Beautiful track indeed. To my ear it had hints of Vangelis, Glass, Kanno, Badalamenti and a bit of Yared, also. It really brings you to a journey. Buildup is magnificent and the orchestration of the various voices is optimal. Can't speak about the production bc I am on a commute and hearing it on ear buds, but sounds right to me. Excellent.
I'm going to have to check out each of those composers since I'm not familiar with any of them except for Badalamenti's work on Twin Peaks. Everything you hear in this song is a stock Objekt preset with minor adjustments. There's some clever occasional low pass filter use that I automated to hide some odd Objekt feedback I had trouble dialing out of one or two patches. It helped duck those moments without compromising any of the melodic content.
Chizmata wrote:
22 Jun 2023
its a very beautiful track. there are a lot of small indiuvidual sounds which add to the overall feeling of the track without being explored themselves, but thats fine here. it creates an overwhealming feeling that carries the listener away at points.

i have some small mixing issues, like roomy sound and a lack of air, but i think we listen on very different systems that dont translate well. right now i have headphones with an exaggerated, flat response in the low end but attenuated highs, which is exactly what i hear here, so take the mixing criticism with a grain of salt.
Totally agree with each of your points. My original plan was to really dive into each sound until I kept demoing presets that I wanted to use. That took me down the path of focusing on melody and phrasing rather than pushing the patches further. I'll have to give that a go for a different song since there's a ton of possibilities that I'll never fully exhaust.

The reverb was changed several times. What I stuck with was two different reverb sends that I layered per instrument. The first reverb is a slightly distorted hall and the second is the stock RV7000 plate reverb with the dampening turned up a bit to tame the highs. When mixing I use two different sources - one set of Beyerdynamic headphones with a fairly flat frequency response and a pair of JBL monitors that also has a flat frequency response. I tend to tame the highs more than they need to be. Tough to get away from that for some reason.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Nice. Very dreamy. Good sound selection. :puf_smile:
Steedus wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Great stuff! Love it. 👏
brianwdowliong wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Good track. Like the textures. Brian
Thanks everyone! I'm really surprised at the positive reactions to this song. I wasn't sure what the overall responses would be.
Superology wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Even if you make ambient well. It sucks because it's ambient. Poor sound in general.
If this song was the worst part of your day, it sounds like you had a pretty good day. :thumbup:

• Information