Krell Patch festival? Maybe tonight, probably not.

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mimidancer

Post 12 May 2023

Is anyone awake and bored enough tonight to have an all-Reason device Krell Patch festival? We could set a time to post them tonight( or at some given time) if anyone is up for some weirdness. Not even sure it can be done. But then again someone probably already did it. I'll check back in an hour to see if anyone else is going to try. I trust you guys will ignore me.

mimidancer

Post 12 May 2023

So it's not great, I promise these are two minutes of your life you will never get back.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mattvank

Post 13 May 2023

The first sound reminds me on that ,,Defcon´´ Sound from the Defcon Game:)

mimidancer

Post 13 May 2023

Mattvank wrote:
13 May 2023
The first sound reminds me on that ,,Defcon´´ Sound from the Defcon Game:)
I do not know that game. I am sad that no one played with me. Thanks for commenting though.

Popey
Competition Winner

Post 13 May 2023

I had to Google to find out what a Krell patch is and interesting sound.

I keep telling myself I will learn complex1 but still haven't got round to it. There is something about patching modular that seems complex although I spent a bit of time on the arturia arp2600 so a bit less daunting.

mimidancer

Post 13 May 2023

Popey wrote:
13 May 2023

I keep telling myself I will learn complex1 but still haven't got round to it. There is something about patching modular that seems complex although I spent a bit of time on the arturia arp2600 so a bit less daunting.
Making a Krell patch is a right of passage for most eurorack enthusiasts. Mine was not great. Here is the original. most are done with feedback and function generators. Using a sequencer is usually not allowed. Mine was made with three lfos , function generator 3 osc and both LPGs. Again not a great Krell patch but was fun. I was hoping this board was nerdy enough to join in. But once again I am the biggest dork in the room. I also recommend the movie the original Krell song is from. 50s Sci Fi is so campy and fun.

SebAudio

Post 17 May 2023

Hi, this my attempt to reproduce the patch demonstrated here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXvHaZpKM5w
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

selig
RE Developer

Post 17 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2023
Popey wrote:
13 May 2023

Making a Krell patch is a right of passage for most eurorack enthusiasts. Mine was not great. Here is the original. most are done with feedback and function generators. Using a sequencer is usually not allowed. Mine was made with three lfos , function generator 3 osc and both LPGs. Again not a great Krell patch but was fun. I was hoping this board was nerdy enough to join in. But once again I am the biggest dork in the room. I also recommend the movie the original Krell song is from. 50s Sci Fi is so campy and fun.
Bebe and Louis Barron! A classic landmark film score, considered the first all electronic film soundtrack. The husband/wife team also is credited with creating the first electronic music composition for magnetic tape in the USA as well as what is considered the first electronic music studio in the USA.
Louis designed and built the modules, Bebe was the primary composer.

Apparently the original modules Louis built burned out and even THEY were unable to accurately recreate their soundtrack work at a later date!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bebe_and_Louis_Barron
Selig Audio, LLC

Quarmat
Competition Winner

Post 17 May 2023

mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2023
I am sad that no one played with me.
our timezones are rather awkward to overlap.

mimidancer

Post 17 May 2023

Quarmat wrote:
17 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2023
I am sad that no one played with me.
our timezones are rather awkward to overlap.
Never a bad time for a krell patch. I'm waiting...

mimidancer

Post 17 May 2023

selig wrote:
17 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2023

Bebe and Louis Barron! A classic landmark film score, considered the first all electronic film soundtrack. The husband/wife team also is credited with creating the first electronic music composition for magnetic tape in the USA as well as what is considered the first electronic music studio in the USA.

Apparently the original modules Louis built burned out and even THEY were unable to accurately recreate their soundtrack work at a later date!

Mr. Selig, where is your Krell patch?

mimidancer

Post 17 May 2023

SebAudio wrote:
17 May 2023
Hi, this my attempt to reproduce the patch demonstrated here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXvHaZpKM5w
Dude, yeah! Love to hear the Krell sing.

rorystorm

Post 18 May 2023

selig wrote:
17 May 2023
mimidancer wrote:
13 May 2023

I've wondered for a while what the story is with krell patches, good to know.

I'm a big fan of early electronic music and the soundtrack to forbidden planet is a high water mark and imo still stands up even now. So much ingenuity. The Barrons also recorded all the sounds used in John Cages piece Williams Mix - theres today's fun fact.

If you wanna hear z whole lot more of that kind of thing here's a spotify playlist. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6KqpE ... nbFfXMbgrA. I find it pretty inspiring

• Information