(Prodigy Influenced) - Playing with Fire

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

So the last track I did (Memories) incorporated a lot of old Prodigy influences. And with this track I've tried taking that idea even further, with inspiration from several of their tracks. For whatever reason I've felt a strong urge to get this Prodigy thing out of my system creatively. I might make more tracks in this style, or not. We'll see. It would be fun to make my own little Prodigy influenced EP. :puf_smile:

Most synth patches used come from my own synth refills I've created during the last year.

I'm still not sure if the track is finished yet or if I'll make changes to it. Same thing with the song title. I'll let it be for a while and see how I feel about it later on.

Reminiscence

12 Feb 2023

"You just run the automation"

Nice track, though I would put in some automation (modulation) to the instruments at hand to give it more life. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

Reminiscence wrote:
12 Feb 2023
"You just run the automation"

Nice track, though I would put in some automation (modulation) to the instruments at hand to give it more life. :)
Thanks. Yeah that could be worth experimenting with, if only in subtle ways. It kind of depends on what era/album I decide to emulate the most. The early stuff is typically much more basic sound design wise. As long as the automation doesn't go overboard. I feel like this track needs to retain a sort of dumbness, if you know what I mean. It shouldn't sound too smart with too much fancy stuff going on. :puf_smile: But I'll try it and see what I think.

Popey
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

Proper old school rave. i used to have lots of vinyl that sounded just like this :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

Popey wrote:
12 Feb 2023
Proper old school rave. i used to have lots of vinyl that sounded just like this :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

If anyone has any song title suggestions, feel free to share. The current "Punk Sandwich" is just taken from a song name generator because I hate naming tunes. If something better comes along I'll be happy to replace it.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2023

If someone claimed to have found an unrealeased Liam track from the experience/jilted years and made me listen to this track I would have believed them. Everything is philologically perfect. Great, great job! I agree the title is a bit shoddy and it's the less Prodigy-ish element of this track. I'd go for something more XL on the like of "Rings of Fire" or "Hex Tribe" of "Bullet Flares"

Something like this

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2023

Quarmat wrote:
12 Feb 2023
If someone claimed to have found an unrealeased Liam track from the experience/jilted years and made me listen to this track I would have believed them. Everything is philologically perfect. Great, great job! I agree the title is a bit shoddy and it's the less Prodigy-ish element of this track. I'd go for something more XL on the like of "Rings of Fire" or "Hex Tribe" of "Bullet Flares"
Thanks man, appreciate it.
Yeah the current title isn't great. They do seem to have the word "Fire" a lot (which you included in your suggestion as well). Titles like "Fire", "Firestarter", "Spitfire", "Worlds On Fire". How about the title "Playing With Fire" for my song?
Usually Prodigy use a vocal line/sample as their title, but my track has no lyrics.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2023

After some pondering I've decided to change the song title. It's now called "Playing with Fire" which feels a lot better than the previous title. Thanks Quarmat for your title suggestions. Even though I didn't take any of your suggestions right off, I feel like they steered me in the right direction.

Last Alternative

17 Feb 2023

This takes me back! You should do some lyrics. I think that's all it's missing because the music is super cool. But yeah you hit the Prodigy nail on the head. At least, it's very esque. Congrats!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

friday

17 Feb 2023

Nice one!

RTFX

18 Feb 2023

Tuuuune!! XL Recordings wouldve released it back in the days!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2023

Last Alternative wrote:
17 Feb 2023
This takes me back! You should do some lyrics. I think that's all it's missing because the music is super cool. But yeah you hit the Prodigy nail on the head. At least, it's very esque. Congrats!
Thanks. Yeah some vocals/lyrics would be nice to complete the whole Prodigy package. I considered it for sure. But I would have liked the vocals to be sample based. And I just didn't feel like going through any copyright crap. I did a quick check on some sample content page like Splice, but got the impression that the market mostly had highly processed pitch corrected modern sounding vocal samples to offer. Not what I was looking for at all with a track like this. I'm sure the content I was looking for is out there somewhere, I just didn't have the patience to spend more time looking for it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2023

friday wrote:
17 Feb 2023
Nice one!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2023

RTFX wrote:
18 Feb 2023
Tuuuune!! XL Recordings wouldve released it back in the days!
Thanks. Glad you like it.

Heigen5

18 Feb 2023

Wind It Up is probably one of the closest tracks to this in the stylewise. As a huge Prodigy fan, of cource I enjoyed this. Well done!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2023

Heigen5 wrote:
18 Feb 2023
Wind It Up is probably one of the closest tracks to this in the stylewise. As a huge Prodigy fan, of cource I enjoyed this. Well done!
Thanks. Their first record Experience has been a source for inspiration here for sure.

Harmen

19 Feb 2023

great track !

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2023

visheshl wrote:
19 Feb 2023
Kadak track
(as in kadak chai (strong tea))

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner