Synthwave: Gunship Dark All Day Instrumental Cover

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
robussc

11 Jan 2023

I've recently joined ReasonTalk but have yet to share any music, so here goes. My project for the last year has been to cover Gunship's album Dark All Day as I love the music and thought it would be a great way to explore Synthwave music (a style I grew up with - Are Friends Electric? hit me like a hammer when I heard it on the radio in 1978 or there abouts :)

Anyway, I'm in the mixing stage and thought I'd share a track that seems to have made it out of mixing in fairly good shape. It's the Dark All Day track off the album with the same name. Hope you enjoy and are gentle with me. This track has been mixed but not mastered. There's hope that I'll add vocals at some point! :)

Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

crimsonwarlock

11 Jan 2023

Not bad at all. My only direct critique is that the drums are too dry. Gunship's drums are pretty over-produced. They are clearly a quantized drum machine, but sound-wise produced more like a live drum kit, which is basically 'that eighties drum sound'. Find a reverb-preset that says something like 'drum room' and throw that on all drums except the kick.

Maybe you can tell which synthesizers you used for which parts, would be interesting to know.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

robussc

11 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
11 Jan 2023
Not bad at all. My only direct critique is that the drums are too dry. Gunship's drums are pretty over-produced. They are clearly a quantized drum machine, but sound-wise produced more like a live drum kit, which is basically 'that eighties drum sound'. Find a reverb-preset that says something like 'drum room' and throw that on all drums except the kick.
Thanks I'll take another listen to the source. I definitely think the Hi Hats are the weakest part. I do think it was common to play those parts by hand, so I think some randomization of timing and velocity would probably help to give it a more human feel.
Maybe you can tell which synthesizers you used for which parts, would be interesting to know.
It's quite a list. I do have the V-Collection 8 and the UVI Vintage Vault so some instruments came from that.

Bass: 2 x Europa, 3 x Monotone
Arpeggios: 3x Europa, UVI Emulator II
Pads: UVI String Machines 2, NN-XT loaded with some CS-80 sample, UVI Saturn-8
Sax: NN-XT with Baritone Sax patch (and a lot of performance control tweaking!)
FX & Ambience: Mimic & Grain
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

• Information