Critique my current mixing

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2023

It's been a while since I stopped to see at what level my mixing abilities are. I've tried to pick a song from 2022 that's somewhat "normal", at least compared to many of my other tracks from this year. I also wanted a track that has quite a lot going on in the arrangement.

Feel free to comment on the mixing and production. I've decided I'm not gonna agree or disagree with any feedback. I'll just say thanks for the comment and ponder on it for a while. And in about a week or two I'll silently decide what I'll take to heart for the future.

Here's the track:

Chizmata

05 Jan 2023

i find your mixes generally pretty mid-heavy but totally in an area that works.

moalla

05 Jan 2023

Your mixing is like Chizmata said more in the mids, I like it, not so heavy and more gentle for my ears with Dt880pros on my head.
My favourite of your stuff in sound and composition is bubbles, really nice melancholic peice, reminds a lot on this childseries doctor snuggles ;) BESTE

For your adressed song it´s sound like ELKA Synthex synth pop produced for a playstation game around the turn of the millennium :P
my first impression, sounds like Yello The Race, no´body can´t reinvent everything, but i guess I´m wrong :lol:
Gives me really a postiv vibe, as the title says. Wich synths you have used for Dopamine?

When i listen to your playlist/songs of the last three years, i don´t here big differences in mastering.
Older stuff sounds more aggresive or to much in the face, but especial for a voice limited track like CHIP D that´s right thing ;)

Especial your classical synthwave stuff and the chipwave tracks are in some cases really expandable, needs remixes, notice you are a late 90ties child,
why are some of your tracks so short?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

zoidkirb

06 Jan 2023

Very cool track and catchy melody.
Personally i feel the drums are taking up too much space in the mix.... Levels and frequencies and detracting from the cool synth work, which i also feel needs to punch thru a bit harder at times.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

Chizmata wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Thanks for your input. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

moalla wrote:
05 Jan 2023
Your mixing is like Chizmata said more in the mids, I like it, not so heavy and more gentle for my ears with Dt880pros on my head.
My favourite of your stuff in sound and composition is bubbles, really nice melancholic peice, reminds a lot on this childseries doctor snuggles ;) BESTE

For your adressed song it´s sound like ELKA Synthex synth pop produced for a playstation game around the turn of the millennium :P
my first impression, sounds like Yello The Race, no´body can´t reinvent everything, but i guess I´m wrong :lol:
Gives me really a postiv vibe, as the title says. Wich synths you have used for Dopamine?

When i listen to your playlist/songs of the last three years, i don´t here big differences in mastering.
Older stuff sounds more aggresive or to much in the face, but especial for a voice limited track like CHIP D that´s right thing ;)

Especial your classical synthwave stuff and the chipwave tracks are in some cases really expandable, needs remixes, notice you are a late 90ties child,
why are some of your tracks so short?
Thanks for your comment.

Regarding some tracks being short. There are several different reasons for that. One is my writing style is often very much to the point. I get to what I think matters quickly. Every now and then I try to make more drawn out songs, but I find I just don't have that writing style in me. It very rarely works out for me. Typically I like the idea of having every part of the song feel engaging, no matter where one skips through the song. I don't mind a nice build up as long as the build up itself sounds interesting. But I won't to wait 2 minutes just to get to something interesting.
Another thing is just laziness. I hate the idea of having a bunch of unfinished songs. And with some songs I simply don't have enough motivation to make them longer. So rather than just abandoning them completely I sometimes just make them short. But at least I have something fully produced and something I consider finished. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better then not finishing songs at all.
Other times I simply view songs as short experiments. They were never really intended to become full songs. I sometimes look at some tracks more as short "scenes".

I will say that I found my tendency to write shorter songs less of a problem as soon as I heard them in album form rather than listening to them individually.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

zoidkirb wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Personally i feel the drums are taking up too much space in the mix.... Levels and frequencies and detracting from the cool synth work, which i also feel needs to punch thru a bit harder at times.
Alright, thanks :thumbs_up:

strangers
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2023

Chizmata wrote:
05 Jan 2023
I agree with Chizmata. Your mixes are already well done and polished. I wish I had some constructive criticism to offer but don't.
zoidkirb wrote:
06 Jan 2023
This can go two ways. Drums can really make or break a song, at least in my head. For Tritone's music, it typically works in his favor. The arrangements are well done and drums hit hard when they should to really add energy.

RTFX

08 Jan 2023

Im so sorry man. This track is just radio ready.
The critique i could give is no critique, but more of a this-is-what-i-would-do-comment.
Track is pleasing to ear. Not harsh, not muddy, maybe a tad less midrange, but thats it.
Keep em coming!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel⬇️ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK0j ... P0EoiuUkNO

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2023

Your mixing is always of a high standard in my opinion. For this particular track you certainly chose a unique and busy one for critique. For me the mix is really good and if i have one critique it would be that in places there are too many bright things competing on occasion with the synths.

That said i have just gone back and listened to a few more of your tracks and literally the above comment is the only thing across i would say negative so think this is limited to Dopamine only and in general your mixing is faultless to me.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2023

strangers wrote:
07 Jan 2023
I agree with Chizmata. Your mixes are already well done and polished. I wish I had some constructive criticism to offer but don't.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2023

RTFX wrote:
08 Jan 2023
Im so sorry man. This track is just radio ready.
The critique i could give is no critique, but more of a this-is-what-i-would-do-comment.
Track is pleasing to ear. Not harsh, not muddy, maybe a tad less midrange, but thats it.
Keep em coming!
Thanks for your comment. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2023

Popey wrote:
08 Jan 2023
Your mixing is always of a high standard in my opinion. For this particular track you certainly chose a unique and busy one for critique. For me the mix is really good and if i have one critique it would be that in places there are too many bright things competing on occasion with the synths.

That said i have just gone back and listened to a few more of your tracks and literally the above comment is the only thing across i would say negative so think this is limited to Dopamine only and in general your mixing is faultless to me.
Thanks, appreciate it.
It's been a rather strange year music wise for me. No track has really felt like a "standard" track. This was one of the most normal mixes out of them all.

• Information