(Smooth Instrumental) Fluff

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2022

I've been picking up my guitar more often lately and trying to be more productive when it comes to completing songs rather than writing endless ideas that I never finish. This song was really fun to write and record since I haven't done anything remotely similar to this in years.

As usual I'm open to any comments, likes, dislikes, criticism, etc.

Bandcamp Link: https://officialstrangers.bandcamp.com/track/fluff

motuscott

27 Dec 2022

Nice guitar tones. What's your recipe?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

moalla

27 Dec 2022

Reminds me a little bit of Carlos Santana, really well sounding blues piece :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Chizmata

28 Dec 2022

i have no clue about the style but... sounds good :lol: . just the drums are a bit muffled, dunno if they'd conflict too much with the guitar timbre otherwise.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2022

Sounds good. Nice playing.
My only criticism would be the ghost notes on the snare. They could be a little "ghostier"(quieter) imo :puf_smile:

strangers
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2023

motuscott wrote:
27 Dec 2022
Nice guitar tones. What's your recipe?
I believe I used one of the Softube Marshall amp sims for guitar tones on this song. They're surprisingly very responsive to dynamics especially when using low gain and occasional volume knob at max for that extra sizzle. From there, just some minor EQ, compression and a little delay and reverb through the mixer sends.
moalla wrote:
27 Dec 2022
Reminds me a little bit of Carlos Santana, really well sounding blues piece :thumbs_up:
Glad you liked it. I can totally see where it has some Santana vibes within some of the leads. Wasn't intentional but happened even for not knowing anything other than some of his radio hits.
Chizmata wrote:
28 Dec 2022
i have no clue about the style but... sounds good :lol: . just the drums are a bit muffled, dunno if they'd conflict too much with the guitar timbre otherwise.
I couldn't tell you what the style is either, hence the weak "smooth instrumental" classification lol. I'll have to listen again for the drums. Good chance I got a little carried away with EQ and compression since I was trying a different approach to mixing on this track.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 Dec 2022
Sounds good. Nice playing.
My only criticism would be the ghost notes on the snare. They could be a little "ghostier"(quieter) imo :puf_smile:
Good catch. I didn't even realize that until now. I'll have to check my session although I did do a little more experimenting with compression and probably overly compressed the snare making the ghost hits not so ghosty.

Chizmata

07 Jan 2023

strangers wrote:
06 Jan 2023
Chizmata wrote:
28 Dec 2022
I couldn't tell you what the style is either, hence the weak "smooth instrumental" classification lol. I'll have to listen again for the drums. Good chance I got a little carried away with EQ and compression since I was trying a different approach to mixing on this track.
what i meant was that i don't i don't know much about this kind of music, what's usually important in it and so on. but i thought it sounds good.

strangers
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2023

Chizmata wrote:
07 Jan 2023
strangers wrote:
06 Jan 2023

what i meant was that i don't i don't know much about this kind of music, what's usually important in it and so on. but i thought it sounds good.
As long as it sounds good, that's all I care about. I couldn't even tell you what style this is or what would go into anything similar. That's the fun part of all of this. Start with a blank slate, no expectations, throw whatever you have at it and see what comes out. A good chunk of the stuff I come up with never sees the light of day.

• Information