[Acoustic Pop] "maybe if I was Marylin"

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2022

Hi folks.

So this time, I bring you a real commercial project I am involved in.

The last year I had a group of fellow musicians mix and master their demo in my studio. In the process I also recorded a bunch of instruments, redone some production work, and as usual all in reason...

The process culminated on an 8 song demo they sent to a bunch of record labels and one of the labels end up making a deal for a record with them.

They end up recording new vocals and remixing the songs with the label studio (plus 4 additional songs) but the mix a clean mix following the aesthetics of mine (maybe a bit more clear, wich is great) and lots of my production work that was done in reason (in this song the whole sax arrangement is me playing a Ewi in reason) was kept in the project.

Fun stuff, and here's the thing, since they had so many songs with my stuff, I'm now officially in the band!!! 😜

Anyhow... I'm really excited with this project, it has reason all over the place despite being remixed in pro-tools (throughout the project there's revival on one song, reason basses on 2 or 3 other songs, and abbey road keys on another one, plus flutes, melodica and all the midi winds - some brasses from east west, a bunch of saxes from Swam samples - were of course recorded within reason).

I'm Really excited with how this turned out, happy to be part of the process and humbled by their invitation.

Here's the first video clip of the group:

(BTW I'm the guy playing sax)

And if you'd like to hear the rest of the songs, you can check them out on Spotify or YouTube and so on... And of course you can buy it too on several platforms!

PS.: the title is a loose translation of the Portuguese title of the song and lyrics in the chorus.

PS2. : This was a production and instrument recording gig, so important to say, the songs are from the group elements.

motuscott

04 Nov 2022

Very nicely done, congrats!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2022

motuscott wrote:
04 Nov 2022
Very nicely done, congrats!
Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Wee Joe

04 Nov 2022

Love the song , Mix & Production, Nice One.......

pushedbutton

05 Nov 2022

I enjoyed it.
This tip is nothing to do with the actual music but it's probably worth someone spending time with the captions, they're autogenerated at the moment. If you edit them manually the translations to other languages would be more accurate too and us unilingual plebs might hang around a little longer.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

Wee Joe wrote:
04 Nov 2022
Love the song , Mix & Production, Nice One.......
Thanks! Glad you liked it.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

pushedbutton wrote:
05 Nov 2022
I enjoyed it.
This tip is nothing to do with the actual music but it's probably worth someone spending time with the captions, they're autogenerated at the moment. If you edit them manually the translations to other languages would be more accurate too and us unilingual plebs might hang around a little longer.
Thanks! We don't control that video, but I'll try to pass that recommendation to the label!

selig
RE Developer

05 Nov 2022

Great vintage jazzy sound (don’t know how ‘pop’ the genre is?). The mix is spot on, great job!
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2022

selig wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Great vintage jazzy sound (don’t know how ‘pop’ the genre is?). The mix is spot on, great job!
Thanks Giles!

Yeah the "pop" is more on the general context of the whole project... This one is a more jazzy song.

Anyway, as I told in the main thread this final mix is not mine, but it's pretty spot on with mine (he used the same instrument positions, a tad drier reverb and the master is about 4 lufs higher, but compensated they sound very similar).

It's ironic they wanted to record the vocals again because of a "better mic" - the guys recorded with an at2020 and the label re-recorded with a vintage mammoth, I don't know witch one - but I prefer the original performance. For someone that doesn't know the original it won't make a difference but recording home the singer was super loose, had a happier, more relaxed performance.. And she did 8 songs in about 10 months. Here she recorded 12 songs in 2 days. Super professional but the performance took a hit.

Maybe in a next record we have some more control over this. For now, we're preparing concerts and we're going on TV next Monday... This shit is real! It's super special getting back on the road I didn't play live almost for 10 years!!!!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
05 Nov 2022
Sorry for the necroposting!!!

Fun fact...

I just noticed a couple of days ago the mix in this video is the one I did, because I like to use a tad more reverb and the label's mix is way drier than mine. Not necessary a bad thing, but it's interesting they sent the "wrong" mix to video editing and nobody complained... actually the rest of the group prefers my mix than the label's. IMHO, their mix has an astoundishing clear sound.

Dabbler

19 Mar 2023

this sounds perectly clear to me. did they say how they got the clarity?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2023

Dabbler wrote:
19 Mar 2023
this sounds perectly clear to me. did they say how they got the clarity?
Thanks. I never talked to the sound engineer, I've seen some pics of the chains and noticed he used fabfilter Pro q, but i do not think that's the reason per se. I do feel more clarity on the mids but i can't pinpoint it to the mix or the mastering process. Tbh, we have a tad different aesthetics about reverb (his mix is clearer and has way less reverb than mine) and reverb sometimes does affect clarity but i woukdnt expect as much.

Dabbler

20 Mar 2023

thanks

• Information