[TECH HOUSE] MEDALLION MAN

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
danc

02 Nov 2022

So - here we go... something CHEESY but COOL.

Based on acid bass-lines I've created on GForce's new Oddity 2 update. And mixing it up with TR-707 Latin drums.

Enjoy. Tell me what you think.
Check my Soundcloud:

danc

02 Nov 2022

I came back to this with fresh ears and now re-worked the whole mix. Major update - much more subtle vocals. And the overall mix is now balanced - I think/hope.

What's your thoughts?
Check my Soundcloud:

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2022

Great mix, nice acid lines and good groove/funk. For me personally perhaps the vocal is used a bit much and could do with being stripped back a bit so they do not lose impact from repetition.

danc

03 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Great mix, nice acid lines and good groove/funk. For me personally perhaps the vocal is used a bit much and could do with being stripped back a bit so they do not lose impact from repetition.
Thanks Popey - agree re vocals. Did you listen to new version? I find some people, if using a mobile phone, cache their track and don't get updates. Or did you only listen once just now?
Check my Soundcloud:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2022

Really liking the beat and the all the squelchy basslines throughout the song. The tune has got a nice groove for sure. :thumbs_up:

Hate to say it but the vocals kind of ruined the track for me. I wouldn't mind them during the intro, up until 0:30 when the chords come in. And also I thought they fit pretty well during the break at 2:04. But other than that I found them pretty annoying unfortunately, like they distracted me from enjoying the cool beat and the awesome basslines.
Maybe it's standard to have these kind of repetitive vocals in this genre. And I simply don't get it. Which very well could be the case. I feel like when a lot of people complain about the growling vocals in death metal. "I like the music, I just don't like the singing". Only in that case I'm used to the growling.

But the important thing is, if YOU like the vocals, I say keep them in there. After all, no one should really care too much about what some random guy on the internet thinks.

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2022

danc wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Popey wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Thanks Popey - agree re vocals. Did you listen to new version? I find some people, if using a mobile phone, cache their track and don't get updates. Or did you only listen once just now?
Hi DanC, only listened to it this morning so am guessing it was the updated version i heard. Listened on my pc using monitors and also listened once through my headphones as like to hear the bass etc when feeding back to people.

danc

03 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
03 Nov 2022
danc wrote:
03 Nov 2022

Hi DanC, only listened to it this morning so am guessing it was the updated version i heard. Listened on my pc using monitors and also listened once through my headphones as like to hear the bass etc when feeding back to people.
Thanks - so yes... you heard the latest version. I'll go back to the vocals. I had already stripped it down load... but think I can strip back even more. Will report back. Glad you like the mix/acid line etc. though.
Check my Soundcloud:

danc

03 Nov 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Really liking the beat and the all the squelchy basslines throughout the song. The tune has got a nice groove for sure. :thumbs_up:

Hate to say it but the vocals kind of ruined the track for me. I wouldn't mind them during the intro, up until 0:30 when the chords come in. And also I thought they fit pretty well during the break at 2:04. But other than that I found them pretty annoying unfortunately, like they distracted me from enjoying the cool beat and the awesome basslines.
Maybe it's standard to have these kind of repetitive vocals in this genre. And I simply don't get it. Which very well could be the case. I feel like when a lot of people complain about the growling vocals in death metal. "I like the music, I just don't like the singing". Only in that case I'm used to the growling.

But the important thing is, if YOU like the vocals, I say keep them in there. After all, no one should really care too much about what some random guy on the internet thinks.
Thanks TritoneAddiction - I don't disagree re the vocals. I will go back to the track and look at stripping right back. It's funny... because... nearly all the comments I ever get on my tracks relates to overuse vocals. Maybe I should make instrumentals! Not said in a pissed off way.. as in.. truely... maybe I should make instrumentals - fact.
Check my Soundcloud:

danc

03 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
03 Nov 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Hey both... I've really cleaned up the vocals - making them an asset, not a bloody nuisance getting in the way of the music. They come as part of intro and then stop at the point of the organ (as mentioned by TritoneAddiction). Then back in properly at the breakdown. Thanks for the points - totally agree. I think you can get too close to something and not see the wood for the trees.

I've cleaned up the beginning bits to each section (like the organ and the 303 type acid, plus the breakdown sections) to make them come in just a bit better (more impact). Also, being really careful with what the drums are playing (enough to keep the beat going - and then build from there). And some of the drums needed balancing just right.

New version is here....

Check my Soundcloud:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2022

danc wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Popey wrote:
03 Nov 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Hey both... I've really cleaned up the vocals - making them an asset, not a bloody nuisance getting in the way of the music. They come as part of intro and then stop at the point of the organ (as mentioned by TritoneAddiction). Then back in properly at the breakdown. Thanks for the points - totally agree. I think you can get too close to something and not see the wood for the trees.

I've cleaned up the beginning bits to each section (like the organ and the 303 type acid, plus the breakdown sections) to make them come in just a bit better (more impact). Also, being really careful with what the drums are playing (enough to keep the beat going - and then build from there). And some of the drums needed balancing just right.

New version is here....

Yes I think this version works much better. Every part, both the instrumental parts and the vocal parts gets to shine more now. Before the track felt a bit confused, like I asked myself what was the main focus for each section. Now it's more clear.
Great job! It's a cool tune.

Popey
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2022

danc wrote:
03 Nov 2022
Popey wrote:
03 Nov 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Nov 2022

New version is here....

Nice, this sounds a lot better for me and the changes really work well to let all elements shine. Banging tune

danc

08 Nov 2022

Popey wrote:
04 Nov 2022
danc wrote:
03 Nov 2022

New version is here....

Nice, this sounds a lot better for me and the changes really work well to let all elements shine. Banging tune
THANKS POPEY!! Appreciate the positive vibes.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information