(Orchestral Electronic) - Last Eclipse

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2022

Made this bit fairly quickly, using ProjectSAM and Malström.

jonnyretina

25 Sep 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Sep 2022

Excellent work, reminds me of some of the stuff on Vangelis' Rosetta album.

FrankJaeger

25 Sep 2022

Very cinematic/theatric piece you've come up with. It would be great as an opening track for an album or used as an interlude. Good work.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2022

Even for being short, this is really good. I'm always a sucker for a good cinematic piece. I'm surprised you used ProjectSam on this. I demoed it a ways back and remembered the higher notes being brittle and tin-y, neither of which are present in your track. The reverb sounds nice, too. Which did you use?

Bloma

26 Sep 2022

Great sound, I really like the compression and saturation over it. If you listen to Vangelis stuff, for example Blade Runner, it's distorted and compressed as fuck but in a really appealing way.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
25 Sep 2022
Excellent work, reminds me of some of the stuff on Vangelis' Rosetta album.
Thanks. I can see that.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2022

FrankJaeger wrote:
25 Sep 2022
Very cinematic/theatric piece you've come up with. It would be great as an opening track for an album or used as an interlude. Good work.
Thanks. Yes that would probably be a good place for it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2022

strangers wrote:
25 Sep 2022
Even for being short, this is really good. I'm always a sucker for a good cinematic piece. I'm surprised you used ProjectSam on this. I demoed it a ways back and remembered the higher notes being brittle and tin-y, neither of which are present in your track. The reverb sounds nice, too. Which did you use?
The melody is 3 layered octaves of ProjectSAM strings. And 2 octaves of a Malström patch. So if it sounds full it's probably no coincidence. The arrangement is very simple. Just melody drenched in reverb and long bass notes.
For reverb I used Desmodus by Noise Engineering. It's one of those experimental ones, the kind that lets a note ring out for eternity until new note goes through the device. It's a bit annoying while you write the tune though as the reverb never shuts up. :puf_smile: It's worth it though.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2022

Bloma wrote:
26 Sep 2022
Great sound, I really like the compression and saturation over it. If you listen to Vangelis stuff, for example Blade Runner, it's distorted and compressed as fuck but in a really appealing way.
Thanks. The only distortion comes from Desmodus, the never ending reverb that I used for this track. Not really sure what it actually does on a technical level, but it's most likely some distortion involved.
The main compression is on the strings. The ProjectSAM strings have this volume swell in the samples, even when it was set to its fastest attack. So in order to get it a little more even I used a couple of compressors to tame it. And the Malström patch playing along also made the overall sound more even volume wise.

Wav-E

05 Oct 2022

Intresting choise of chords, pads (or strings) and bass. I like the melody a lot, somehow a bit dark
:thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

05 Oct 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Sep 2022
strangers wrote:
25 Sep 2022
The melody is 3 layered octaves of ProjectSAM strings. And 2 octaves of a Malström patch. So if it sounds full it's probably no coincidence. The arrangement is very simple. Just melody drenched in reverb and long bass notes.
For reverb I used Desmodus by Noise Engineering. It's one of those experimental ones, the kind that lets a note ring out for eternity until new note goes through the device. It's a bit annoying while you write the tune though as the reverb never shuts up. :puf_smile: It's worth it though.
That's an excellent theme, would be a great starting point for a bigger piece with variations and more than just top/bottom parts. I say this because not all themes are worth spending time to develop further IMO! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2022

Wav-E wrote:
05 Oct 2022
Intresting choise of chords, pads (or strings) and bass. I like the melody a lot, somehow a bit dark
:thumbs_up:
Thanks, appreciate it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
05 Oct 2022
That's an excellent theme, would be a great starting point for a bigger piece with variations and more than just top/bottom parts. I say this because not all themes are worth spending time to develop further IMO! :)
Thanks Selig. Yes this bit could probably benefit from being expanded upon and turned into something longer and more complete.
But I know I'm not gonna have the discipline or motivation to work further on this one. I usually feel pretty quickly what songs I'm ready to spend more time on and what songs I'm not. The joy of making this particular track was that I wrote it so fast. It never got to the point of feeling like work.

In a way despite the track only having melody and bass, it almost gets a little chordy because of the long reverb making the notes ring together. But it could develop into something more arranged with more harmonies and stuff like that for sure.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Oct 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
24 Sep 2022

Just excellent...

I've always loved your music and style, but you keep getting better and better and it's an awesome thing to witness over the years.

This one was conveying a lot of emotion and I got absorbed into it. A favorite of mine, from you.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Oct 2022

aeox wrote:
15 Oct 2022
I've always loved your music and style, but you keep getting better and better and it's an awesome thing to witness over the years.

This one was conveying a lot of emotion and I got absorbed into it. A favorite of mine, from you.
Thanks aeox. That's very kind of you. It's not unussual that the thought "did I make better music in the past?" show up in my head. So that's reassuring to hear.
But overall I don't care too much about getting better with each track nowadays. I used to be much more driven by self discipline in the past. But nowoadays I have a very relaxed approach to music making. I'd rather be willing to try out new things and experiment and fail every now and then. I find it hard to be creatively free if one cares too much about the end result.

• Information