(Alt/Nu Metal) Like a Thief In the Night

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
User avatar
FrankJaeger
Posts: 192
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Sep 2022

Hello again everyone, hope your day is going well.
I'm a little nervous to post this but at the same I'm excited. Ever since I started learning to make music in 2010 I've really only made HipHop, even though I have a passion for Rock music as well (My favorite album isn't even HipHop, it's Fallen by Evanescence).
Long story short, I wanted to change that so I installed my old electric guitar refills, grabbed my midi keyboard loaded up Reason and got to work. This was quite the challenge but I think it was worth it for what I cooked up. Let me know what you think of it.

GED Aggro
Producer, Rapper, Songwriter, Worst DIY Mixing Engineer currently living on earth... :lol:

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 805
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 17 Sep 2022

Your favorite album is shining through :D It needs vocals though, without it, it's a bit repetitive. But as a vocal track, it would work very well.
----
The smart thing to do is using a DAW because of what the DAW does, not because of what the company behind the DAW does.

User avatar
Dabbler
Posts: 449
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: Louisville, KY

Post 17 Sep 2022

works for me

User avatar
FrankJaeger
Posts: 192
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Sep 2022
Your favorite album is shining through :D It needs vocals though, without it, it's a bit repetitive. But as a vocal track, it would work very well.
Thanks for listening AND the compliment. This being my first attempt at this type of track, that truly made my day.
Forgive me but the critic in me is taking over. How well would you say this was mixed? I personally feel that the guitars aren't heavy/weighty enough. Like they don't have a hard enough impact.
GED Aggro
Producer, Rapper, Songwriter, Worst DIY Mixing Engineer currently living on earth... :lol:

User avatar
FrankJaeger
Posts: 192
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2022

Dabbler wrote:
17 Sep 2022
works for me
Lol.. Short and sweet, thanks for listening.
GED Aggro
Producer, Rapper, Songwriter, Worst DIY Mixing Engineer currently living on earth... :lol:

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 805
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 18 Sep 2022

FrankJaeger wrote:
18 Sep 2022
How well would you say this was mixed? I personally feel that the guitars aren't heavy/weighty enough. Like they don't have a hard enough impact.
The mix is fairly balanced so far, it could use a tiny bit more reverb tmo. The guitars could be a bit darker indeed. I wouldn't do too much to them, though, as they might easily overpower the other instruments (a mixing problem I tend to run into myself sometimes). Maybe give the bass a bit more prominence as well. But.... adding vocals (really, the track deserves it) might need a complete revisit of the instruments-mix.
----
The smart thing to do is using a DAW because of what the DAW does, not because of what the company behind the DAW does.

User avatar
FrankJaeger
Posts: 192
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Sep 2022
FrankJaeger wrote:
18 Sep 2022
How well would you say this was mixed? I personally feel that the guitars aren't heavy/weighty enough. Like they don't have a hard enough impact.
The mix is fairly balanced so far, it could use a tiny bit more reverb tmo. The guitars could be a bit darker indeed. I wouldn't do too much to them, though, as they might easily overpower the other instruments (a mixing problem I tend to run into myself sometimes). Maybe give the bass a bit more prominence as well. But.... adding vocals (really, the track deserves it) might need a complete revisit of the instruments-mix.
Thank you for the insight. This was a lot of fun and I will most definitely remember your tips going forward. :thumbup:
GED Aggro
Producer, Rapper, Songwriter, Worst DIY Mixing Engineer currently living on earth... :lol:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest