(Alt/Nu Metal) Like a Thief In the Night

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
FrankJaeger

17 Sep 2022

Hello again everyone, hope your day is going well.
I'm a little nervous to post this but at the same I'm excited. Ever since I started learning to make music in 2010 I've really only made HipHop, even though I have a passion for Rock music as well (My favorite album isn't even HipHop, it's Fallen by Evanescence).
Long story short, I wanted to change that so I installed my old electric guitar refills, grabbed my midi keyboard loaded up Reason and got to work. This was quite the challenge but I think it was worth it for what I cooked up. Let me know what you think of it.

Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

crimsonwarlock

17 Sep 2022

Your favorite album is shining through :D It needs vocals though, without it, it's a bit repetitive. But as a vocal track, it would work very well.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Dabbler

17 Sep 2022

works for me

FrankJaeger

18 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
17 Sep 2022
Your favorite album is shining through :D It needs vocals though, without it, it's a bit repetitive. But as a vocal track, it would work very well.
Thanks for listening AND the compliment. This being my first attempt at this type of track, that truly made my day.
Forgive me but the critic in me is taking over. How well would you say this was mixed? I personally feel that the guitars aren't heavy/weighty enough. Like they don't have a hard enough impact.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

FrankJaeger

18 Sep 2022

Dabbler wrote:
17 Sep 2022
works for me
Lol.. Short and sweet, thanks for listening.
Midniite Music

crimsonwarlock

18 Sep 2022

FrankJaeger wrote:
18 Sep 2022
How well would you say this was mixed? I personally feel that the guitars aren't heavy/weighty enough. Like they don't have a hard enough impact.
The mix is fairly balanced so far, it could use a tiny bit more reverb tmo. The guitars could be a bit darker indeed. I wouldn't do too much to them, though, as they might easily overpower the other instruments (a mixing problem I tend to run into myself sometimes). Maybe give the bass a bit more prominence as well. But.... adding vocals (really, the track deserves it) might need a complete revisit of the instruments-mix.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

FrankJaeger

18 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
18 Sep 2022
FrankJaeger wrote:
18 Sep 2022
How well would you say this was mixed? I personally feel that the guitars aren't heavy/weighty enough. Like they don't have a hard enough impact.
The mix is fairly balanced so far, it could use a tiny bit more reverb tmo. The guitars could be a bit darker indeed. I wouldn't do too much to them, though, as they might easily overpower the other instruments (a mixing problem I tend to run into myself sometimes). Maybe give the bass a bit more prominence as well. But.... adding vocals (really, the track deserves it) might need a complete revisit of the instruments-mix.
Thank you for the insight. This was a lot of fun and I will most definitely remember your tips going forward. :thumbup:
Midniite Music

• Information