(Ambient) Infinite

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Posts: 726
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 05 Sep 2022

This is a song I created for Tonicmint's Flowbrush song contest. This particular song was on the verge of never seeing light since I was really struggling with where, how and what I wanted to do with this song. It underwent a ton of changes and sidelined it numerous times with the hopes of abandoning it to work on other ideas. For some reason, I kept coming back to it knowing I could flesh out the idea in my head to some degree. After kicking this idea to the curb 15 times while I worked on 15 other song ideas (I wish I was exaggerating), I came back to this a day or two before the song contest deadline was up.

Lately, I've been working on totally different things so an ambient track wasn't what I was in the mood for. That was my first internal battle that I kept fighting through. I was really pushing myself to go for something ambient to keep the focus around reverb/delay. I had 95% of this song completed weeks ago and shelved it because I felt it was missing something. I didn't know what that something was until I started working on different song idea 15. I mistakenly loaded an arp patch into Europa and a lightbulb turned on. This is that thing I needed for 'Infinite'. So, I ditched song idea 15 and went back to completing 'Infinite'.

There's a lot of layering and unusual processes and REs I normally wouldn't use which is why I think I kept going back to this song even when I was hitting wall after wall. I wanted to break free of my norm. That's enough jibber jabber for now. On with the music...


User avatar
Bloma
Posts: 706
Joined: 06 Sep 2015
Location: Melbourne

Post 06 Sep 2022

It sounds really huge and epic. What kind of unusual processes and REs did you use?

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 753
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 07 Sep 2022

i like the musical ideas a lot, but its actually a bit too washy/distorted for my taste. it could also be longer, but its also ok as is, as a little spacy interplay.

User avatar
Propellerhands
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Apr 2020

Post 08 Sep 2022

Good job, also did not like distortion, but then again, I myself rarely if ever use this effect so my opinion on this matter means just purely personal preference. But objetively, the track is solid. And yeah, could be longer, maybe with some deeper background percussion even to give more cinematic feeling.

Overall - I like it.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3560
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 09 Sep 2022

Nice. I like it. I see some people here not into the distortion, but personally I kind of like the grimeyness together with the open/big atmosphere.
I wish it was a little longer. Unless it works as an intro track. Then the song length is perfect.
”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.” Quote by RT user stillifegaijin.

strangers
Posts: 726
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 12 Sep 2022

Bloma wrote:
06 Sep 2022
It sounds really huge and epic. What kind of unusual processes and REs did you use?
Thanks Bloma. My idea of unusual might be common practice for others so maybe wasn't the best word choice to use :lol:
A few things I did here:

1. Took random factory sound bank samples from the Orkester refill, like a one-shot sax sample, flute, etc., and threw them into Grain to make them completely unrecognizable. Those Grain manglings were then layered to make the pads and atmospheric elements of the song.
2. I never really did much with CV and figured now was a better time than ever to dive in, especially after some recent insight from Chizmata in relation to his recent work. I pick and chose at random to setup a slew of CV within instrument mod matrixes and the mix channel programmer options. I couldn't really explain most of what I did since I experimented until something sounded weird and good.
3. There's a couple bass layers that are low in the mix but present enough to add to the big picture. While I was on a CV kick, I routed some LFOs to an MClass EQ on one of the bass channels and got weird with automating EQ curves and ranges. I'll surely be taking this to a different level with future songs.
4. Distortion into reverb and reverb into distortions because why not?
Chizmata wrote:
07 Sep 2022
i like the musical ideas a lot, but its actually a bit too washy/distorted for my taste. it could also be longer, but its also ok as is, as a little spacy interplay.
I maybe got a little carried away with the distortion and space-y aspect of this song. I would have made this longer if it weren't for the time crunch of the song challenge plus having been messing around with 15 or so completely different song ideas before coming back to this one. I'll have more in this style that are more focused for sure.
Propellerhands wrote:
08 Sep 2022
Good job, also did not like distortion, but then again, I myself rarely if ever use this effect so my opinion on this matter means just purely personal preference. But objetively, the track is solid. And yeah, could be longer, maybe with some deeper background percussion even to give more cinematic feeling.

Overall - I like it.
My primary instrument has been guitar so I'm naturally always looking to distort whatever I can. There's no escaping it. Funny you mentioned percussion... I did toy around with ideas but didn't have enough time to give that element enough attention so I scrapped it.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Sep 2022
Nice. I like it. I see some people here not into the distortion, but personally I kind of like the grimeyness together with the open/big atmosphere.
I wish it was a little longer. Unless it works as an intro track. Then the song length is perfect.
It's always grime-time for me. The mix of distortion and open space is a small teaser for future tracks. I'll have to consider a disclaimer when things get a little out of hand.

Thanks for the listens and comments everyone! It keeps the music section more active so any and all comments are always a good thing.

Tenthousandrats
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 Sep 2022

Post 13 Sep 2022

I've been specifically trying to capture an "enormous" kind of feeling on the track i'm working on now and this was particularly entrancing because that's where my mind has been. You have a good ear for distortion.

User avatar
Micha1973
Posts: 452
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Location: Germany

Post 15 Sep 2022

Super! I like the Hall/Delaying in this track
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

User avatar
RTFX
Posts: 234
Joined: 10 Jan 2016

Post 15 Sep 2022

Wow. That explanation took me more time to read than the actual length of the song was.
All jokes aside: truly mesmerizing piece of work.
Shame it didnt last for at least 10 minutes or so.
All my tracks on my YouTube channel 👇🏼https://www.youtube.com/user/SwordOfGlory1

strangers
Posts: 726
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 25 Sep 2022

Tenthousandrats wrote:
13 Sep 2022
I've been specifically trying to capture an "enormous" kind of feeling on the track i'm working on now and this was particularly entrancing because that's where my mind has been. You have a good ear for distortion.
Hopefully, I was able to spark some added inspiration to pull off the giganto feeling you're after for your own song. I'd be down to hear whatever it is that you're working on once you complete it.
Micha1973 wrote:
15 Sep 2022
Super! I like the Hall/Delaying in this track
There's several layers of delay and reverb all over this track. I'm surprised I was able to tame it enough to avoid it sounding like a wall of nonsense.
RTFX wrote:
15 Sep 2022
Wow. That explanation took me more time to read than the actual length of the song was.
All jokes aside: truly mesmerizing piece of work.
Shame it didnt last for at least 10 minutes or so.
:lol: I should cash in my small novels of text in exchange for extending future songs. I tend to keep them short to avoid overdoing themes and sections. That's always a tough balance to pull off.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest