(Weird Progressive Electronica) - Giant Space Squid

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
stratatonic

28 Aug 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2022
This is a weird one.
I started out listening on speakers, but swapped out to headphones to listen again when that section around a minute in, came in.
Very Liquid-y, Rubber-y Bubbl-y shit. I will have squid-y nightmares tonight, thank you very much...pretty cool. :cool:

aerodactylus_

28 Aug 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 Aug 2022
aerodactylus_ wrote:
27 Aug 2022
Really nice sound design as others have commented. The atmosphere is intense on this one; nearly panic inducing (but in a good way of course...).

Nice work!
Thanks. Interesting, never experienced the song as "nearly panic inducing" myself, but we all feel music differently. :puf_smile:
Haha, indeed! To be clarify I bit what I meant by that: the track just has a hectic kind of adrenaline fuelled energy to it. I can see it in a futuristic sci fi horror movie when someone is running away from something terrifying :D

Also, as I see others have commented that it is reminiscent of The Prodigy. I also felt that to be the case. In particular their "Invaders Must Die" era stuff. I think it is the synth that comes in at 1:10 reminds me of the lead they used in "World's on Fire" and "Colours" a bit.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

stratatonic wrote:
28 Aug 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2022
This is a weird one.
I started out listening on speakers, but swapped out to headphones to listen again when that section around a minute in, came in.
Very Liquid-y, Rubber-y Bubbl-y shit. I will have squid-y nightmares tonight, thank you very much...pretty cool. :cool:
It definitely has sounds I don't normally use. It was nice to do things a little differently with this track. :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2022

aerodactylus_ wrote:
28 Aug 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 Aug 2022

Thanks. Interesting, never experienced the song as "nearly panic inducing" myself, but we all feel music differently. :puf_smile:
Haha, indeed! To be clarify I bit what I meant by that: the track just has a hectic kind of adrenaline fuelled energy to it. I can see it in a futuristic sci fi horror movie when someone is running away from something terrifying :D

Also, as I see others have commented that it is reminiscent of The Prodigy. I also felt that to be the case. In particular their "Invaders Must Die" era stuff. I think it is the synth that comes in at 1:10 reminds me of the lead they used in "World's on Fire" and "Colours" a bit.
Cool. Thanks for the elaborative response. :-)

Bloma

01 Sep 2022

That low distorted synth is goddamn tasty. Come to think of it, the whole track is goddamn tasty. Yeah give me an album full of this shit Tritone!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2022

Bloma wrote:
01 Sep 2022
That low distorted synth is goddamn tasty. Come to think of it, the whole track is goddamn tasty. Yeah give me an album full of this shit Tritone!
Thanks Bloma. That low distorted bass is a modulated Parsec patch run through Creme (and some other processing).

I probably won't make any cohesive/themed albums anytime soon. But I do have plans to release all my material from the last 7-8 years in album form. With each album representing the music I wrote each year. There won't be any cohesiveness in style necessarily. And I'm not even gonna try to make any sort of cohesive mastering as a whole either. The songs are what they are. But at least it's a way to just make all the music easily available in some way.

Bloma

03 Sep 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2022
Bloma wrote:
01 Sep 2022
Thanks Bloma. That low distorted bass is a modulated Parsec patch run through Creme (and some other processing).

I probably won't make any cohesive/themed albums anytime soon. But I do have plans to release all my material from the last 7-8 years in album form. With each album representing the music I wrote each year. There won't be any cohesiveness in style necessarily. And I'm not even gonna try to make any sort of cohesive mastering as a whole either. The songs are what they are. But at least it's a way to just make all the music easily available in some way.
That would be so awesome.

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Oct 2022

I'm sorry I haven't commented sooner. I kind of heard this track, and forgot to say how much I like it. I love that main organ-ish riff. And those roaring/ripping distorted sounds! And that occasional walking or climbing diminished critter at around 2:07. Tasteful use of stutters/glitching. Good textures and contrast between drums and other tracks. This song is a success story. Awesome!

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2022

You had me at Giant Space Squid. I could TOTALLY hear this over the intro credits for a blockbuster film (about a giant space squid, naturally). Musically, the huge sounds evoke the body of the squid, the arpeggios evoke the tentacles. The back and forth keeps my glued to the speakers wondering what will happen next and always wanting more!
Great sounds, great mix, totally fits the brief - love it!
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2022

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
21 Oct 2022
I'm sorry I haven't commented sooner. I kind of heard this track, and forgot to say how much I like it. I love that main organ-ish riff. And those roaring/ripping distorted sounds! And that occasional walking or climbing diminished critter at around 2:07. Tasteful use of stutters/glitching. Good textures and contrast between drums and other tracks. This song is a success story. Awesome!
Thanks man, really appreciate it. It's always interesting to see what songs will recieve the most attention when you upload them. You just never know. I thought this one would get a lot less attention and comments than it has, since it's a bit on the weirder side.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2022

selig wrote:
21 Oct 2022
You had me at Giant Space Squid. I could TOTALLY hear this over the intro credits for a blockbuster film (about a giant space squid, naturally). Musically, the huge sounds evoke the body of the squid, the arpeggios evoke the tentacles. The back and forth keeps my glued to the speakers wondering what will happen next and always wanting more!
Great sounds, great mix, totally fits the brief - love it!
Thanks Selig. This track took quite some time to put together, so I appreciate the kind words. Lots of trial and error with everything from sound sculpting, mixing and arranging.

Tiny Montgomery

23 Oct 2022

Awesome sound design.

IMHO, and this is very much my own taste speaking here, the section that starts at 2:20 is the best part and I can imagine a more focused version of this track starting there. When I say best part I mean I REALLY liked that part and a track that started there would catch my ear and make me listen to the rest.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2022

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
23 Oct 2022
Awesome sound design.

IMHO, and this is very much my own taste speaking here, the section that starts at 2:20 is the best part and I can imagine a more focused version of this track starting there. When I say best part I mean I REALLY liked that part and a track that started there would catch my ear and make me listen to the rest.
Thanks man. Yes I like that section too. Imo that's the part that breaks away from the rest of the song the most.

integerpoet

24 Oct 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2022
It's mainly built around sonic experimentation, rather than conventional song writing.
I love the former and I feel like this would be a good playground/toolbox for the latter in about a month when you have enough distance to be ruthless. 😀

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2022

integerpoet wrote:
24 Oct 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Aug 2022
It's mainly built around sonic experimentation, rather than conventional song writing.
I love the former and I feel like this would be a good playground/toolbox for the latter in about a month when you have enough distance to be ruthless. 😀
Thanks for the listen.
Perhaps so, though I typically never return to older tracks, especially finished tracks. I say "older" even though it's not old, because I've since written 4 other tracks after this one. I usually move on pretty quickly.
The track I've currently working on has a bit of sonic experimentation too, but not the extent as this Giant Space Squid track has. But I'd say it's turning into a pretty visual track as well.

• Information