(Techno) - 1 week Challenge - Track Title: Angels Talk

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey
Posts: 1323
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 01 Aug 2022

I have been missing some of the challenges that we used to have on here so imposed a one week target to finish a track whilst holidaying in the uk. Created in the evenings after days out when the family were asleep :lol:

synths are diva, grain Re, and serum.


Popey
Posts: 1323
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 06 Aug 2022

Tweaked a few things on this.. Outside of the week challenge I set but a few things annoyed me. Same link as before.

wowhow
Posts: 65
Joined: 31 May 2018
Location: Nagoya, Japan

Post 06 Aug 2022

Woah! Nice track.
Was the sort of mono-mix intentional (especially for the drum track and lead synths)?
I actually really like how the track is because it reminds me of playing racing games like f-zero on gameboy advance.


Popey
Posts: 1323
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 06 Aug 2022

wowhow wrote:
06 Aug 2022
Woah! Nice track.
Was the sort of mono-mix intentional (especially for the drum track and lead synths)?
I actually really like how the track is because it reminds me of playing racing games like f-zero on gameboy advance.

No not intentional but I have to mix on headphones due to when I have free time so that may impact on my spatial awareness. I tend to do all my panning in mono before returning to stereo for the final listen as I personally find it easier to give individual things space that way. I haven't even heard this track through monitors 😂

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3487
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 07 Aug 2022

It's good to see you putting out music regularly. Yes sadly it seems not many people are into music challenges to the same extent anymore. That was my favorite part about this forum. :(
You know me, I don't mind talking gear, synths or whatever. New toys are fun. But I like a balance between gear talk and creativity/music making.

Cool tune. How did you come up with the first bass part? It's sort of random yet melodic at the same time. Was any player involved or was it all done manually?

wowhow
Posts: 65
Joined: 31 May 2018
Location: Nagoya, Japan

Post 07 Aug 2022

Popey wrote:
06 Aug 2022
wowhow wrote:
06 Aug 2022
Woah! Nice track.
Was the sort of mono-mix intentional (especially for the drum track and lead synths)?
I actually really like how the track is because it reminds me of playing racing games like f-zero on gameboy advance.

No not intentional but I have to mix on headphones due to when I have free time so that may impact on my spatial awareness. I tend to do all my panning in mono before returning to stereo for the final listen as I personally find it easier to give individual things space that way. I haven't even heard this track through monitors 😂
Oh! I see! lol Either way, I really like it. The pads seem to be really stereo and I think it helps to contrast and highlight the drums, leads etc in a way that gives it a retro feel to it.

Popey
Posts: 1323
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 07 Aug 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Aug 2022
It's good to see you putting out music regularly. Yes sadly it seems not many people are into music challenges to the same extent anymore. That was my favorite part about this forum. :(
You know me, I don't mind talking gear, synths or whatever. New toys are fun. But I like a balance between gear talk and creativity/music making.

Cool tune. How did you come up with the first bass part? It's sort of random yet melodic at the same time. Was any player involved or was it all done manually?
The First Bass part was a bit of both (manual and midi devices).

I created some chords i liked and then ran them through ableton's arpeggio using the transpose function set to the key of the song (A Minor) +6 semitones and then played with the steps in real time whilst recording all the midi to a new lane ( quite a lot of bars). After this i rearranged/kept the parts i liked to create the melody/sequence.

User avatar
RTFX
Posts: 216
Joined: 10 Jan 2016

Post 08 Aug 2022

Popey wrote:
07 Aug 2022
TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Aug 2022
It's good to see you putting out music regularly. Yes sadly it seems not many people are into music challenges to the same extent anymore. That was my favorite part about this forum. :(
You know me, I don't mind talking gear, synths or whatever. New toys are fun. But I like a balance between gear talk and creativity/music making.

Cool tune. How did you come up with the first bass part? It's sort of random yet melodic at the same time. Was any player involved or was it all done manually?
The First Bass part was a bit of both (manual and midi devices).

I created some chords i liked and then ran them through ableton's arpeggio using the transpose function set to the key of the song (A Minor) +6 semitones and then played with the steps in real time whilst recording all the midi to a new lane ( quite a lot of bars). After this i rearranged/kept the parts i liked to create the melody/sequence.
Hold on a tick!
You ran your chords through able’s arp?
Does this mean u use reason as a plugin in Ableton?
If so, it could explain the warmth and clearance your tracks have. I heard more people saying a differnce between reason and abl is the sound output.
If not, you are what i already told you. You getting better at mastering.
Nice track btw.
I love basslines like these!
All my tracks on my YouTube channel 👇🏼https://www.youtube.com/user/SwordOfGlory1

Popey
Posts: 1323
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 08 Aug 2022

RTFX wrote:
08 Aug 2022
Popey wrote:
07 Aug 2022


The First Bass part was a bit of both (manual and midi devices).

I created some chords i liked and then ran them through ableton's arpeggio using the transpose function set to the key of the song (A Minor) +6 semitones and then played with the steps in real time whilst recording all the midi to a new lane ( quite a lot of bars). After this i rearranged/kept the parts i liked to create the melody/sequence.
Hold on a tick!
You ran your chords through able’s arp?
Does this mean u use reason as a plugin in Ableton?
If so, it could explain the warmth and clearance your tracks have. I heard more people saying a differnce between reason and abl is the sound output.
If not, you are what i already told you. You getting better at mastering.
Nice track btw.
I love basslines like these!
Hi RTFX yes I have used rrp with live for a while now as find it easier freezing tracks due to my i5 3470 pc struggling once a track gets bigger. I used to have to save midi and patches before consolidating to audio to save cpu but now can just freeze. There are a few things I prefer workflow wise in live like quickly sidechaining without cabling and grouping tracks but sound output seems the same to me.

I have never tested scientifically but have never noticed any difference between synths in reason or live and don't think there is any. I am pretty sure if I used the same serum, grain and diva patches and midi/automation in reason daw they would be identical and most of the fx in this song are reason too (echo, synchronous etc). I think the warmth you speak about could come from the fact I use a fair bit of saturation etc from scream, spectre etc and often set this up in parallel so I can dial in the effect I want and clearance probably comes from eq and panning (I often mix in mono as personally I find it easier when eq to give space so when you go back to stereo things are clear.).

I think as I am learning my tracks sound better but really would be surprised if the daw makes a difference as I have not noticed any. Perhaps other live and rrp users may feel differently.

Mattvank
Posts: 146
Joined: 30 Mar 2017

Post 10 Aug 2022

The part from 4:30 till 5:30 is that i what only like, especially the moment arround 5:15. Intresting minimalistic ,,riser´´.

Popey
Posts: 1323
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 10 Aug 2022

Mattvank wrote:
10 Aug 2022
The part from 4:30 till 5:30 is that i what only like, especially the moment arround 5:15. Intresting minimalistic ,,riser´´.
Thanks for listening mattvank. That minimalistic riser is just a percussive hit which increases in pitch and size over time (eg starts off every 1/4, then 1/8, 1/16th note etc)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests