[lo-fi electronica] Syntakt meet Digitone - Hardware jam recorded and mastered in Reason 12

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Synthopathe

Post 24 Jul 2022

Another hardware jam. This one's a bit more involved musically than the last one.

bxbrkrz

Post 24 Jul 2022

Synthopathe wrote:
24 Jul 2022
Another hardware jam. This one's a bit more involved musically than the last one.

:-) :thumbs_up:

Analog outs, or via OB?
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

Synthopathe

Post 24 Jul 2022

Just the analog outs of the Syntakt as the Digitone outs went into the Syntakt ins so I could use the fx bus filter. I really should get around to using overbridge.

Chizmata

Post 25 Jul 2022

sounds a bit raw but the musical idea is good.

Synthopathe

Post 25 Jul 2022

Chizmata wrote:
25 Jul 2022
Thanks. It is raw. I will probably record each track individually via overbridge next time and do some EQ etc on each track before mastering.

Chizmata

Post 25 Jul 2022

Synthopathe wrote:
25 Jul 2022
Chizmata wrote:
25 Jul 2022
Thanks. It is raw. I will probably record each track individually via overbridge next time and do some EQ etc on each track before mastering.
that should do the trick :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

Post 25 Jul 2022

Synthopathe wrote:
25 Jul 2022
Chizmata wrote:
25 Jul 2022
I find it very helpful to move from hardware jams/explorations into a DAW at some point in the process, typically once I feel I have more than enough raw material to work with.
Meaning, after moving into a DAW with all parts separated out, you may also take that opportunity to address the overall arrangement to better and tell an even more compelling story. Sometimes I even add additional tracks, but not always. But I almost always find some sort of edit to make, from adding/deleting a few bars here or there, to moving sections around/repeating existing sections to better tell the story. Other times it’s just a matter of creating a better start/end to the piece and getting the mix polished.
Either way, I treat is like I’ve received tracks from a collaborator and have been given free reign to make changes and do what I want, and go from there. Give yourself permission to look at the parts more critically, deleting anything not absolutely necessary or adding anything that moves the piece forward. Be brutal, be bold - that last 20% is sometimes the toughest part, after getting a good bed of material to work with IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

Synthopathe

Post 25 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
25 Jul 2022
Synthopathe wrote:
25 Jul 2022

I find it very helpful to move from hardware jams/explorations into a DAW at some point in the process, typically once I feel I have more than enough raw material to work with.
Meaning, after moving into a DAW with all parts separated out, you may also take that opportunity to address the overall arrangement to better and tell an even more compelling story. Sometimes I even add additional tracks, but not always. But I almost always find some sort of edit to make, from adding/deleting a few bars here or there, to moving sections around/repeating existing sections to better tell the story. Other times it’s just a matter of creating a better start/end to the piece and getting the mix polished.
Either way, I treat is like I’ve received tracks from a collaborator and have been given free reign to make changes and do what I want, and go from there. Give yourself permission to look at the parts more critically, deleting anything not absolutely necessary or adding anything that moves the piece forward. Be brutal, be bold - that last 20% is sometimes the toughest part, after getting a good bed of material to work with IMO!
Great advice selig, very much appreciated 👍 :)

• Information