Amateur Science [idm-ish, dance-ish, retro EP]

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Tomtom

22 Jul 2022

Hi all,
from today my EP "Amateur Science" can be found on bandcamp, it's also on Soundcloud. It is a compilation of tracks that were mainly created in the last 2 years. Stylistically, they range from old-school drum & bass to pieces reminiscent of the artists from Warp Records from the 90s. Overall, everything is kept quite old school and retro.

Everything was mixed and made in Reason 11 (Suite) + PX7 + Rostnomo (on one track) - no other synths were used. You can hear a lot of presets (or slightly modified presets) from the traditional soundbank and the old synthesizers like Malmström and the classic Subtractor. As far as I could, I did the writing, mixing and mastering myself (well, mastering might be saying too much...). Maybe you would like to have a listen. Certainly not everything is radio quality, but I tried my best in mixing and mastering.

If you're short on time, which it certainly is, I recommend "From the Abyss" and "Twisted Mind".

Since I rarely post here, I don't think there will be much feedback. But maybe one or the other enjoys the music - that would be something :puf_wink:

I wish everyone a good time and a nice summer!

tomtom

Bandcamp:

Soundcloud:

Chizmata

25 Jul 2022

Tomtom wrote:
22 Jul 2022
Hi all,
from today my EP "Amateur Science" can be found on bandcamp, it's also on Soundcloud. It is a compilation of tracks that were mainly created in the last 2 years. Stylistically, they range from old-school drum & bass to pieces reminiscent of the artists from Warp Records from the 90s. Overall, everything is kept quite old school and retro.

Everything was mixed and made in Reason 11 (Suite) + PX7 + Rostnomo (on one track) - no other synths were used. You can hear a lot of presets (or slightly modified presets) from the traditional soundbank and the old synthesizers like Malmström and the classic Subtractor. As far as I could, I did the writing, mixing and mastering myself (well, mastering might be saying too much...). Maybe you would like to have a listen. Certainly not everything is radio quality, but I tried my best in mixing and mastering.

If you're short on time, which it certainly is, I recommend "From the Abyss" and "Twisted Mind".

Since I rarely post here, I don't think there will be much feedback. But maybe one or the other enjoys the music - that would be something :puf_wink:

I wish everyone a good time and a nice summer!

tomtom

Bandcamp:

Soundcloud:
i listened to c.i.s. and gotta say the listening experience is generally on the positive side. i appreciate the creative composition and the good mixing work. but its also quite a mixed bag for me, it has really fantastic moments while others a pretty rough. for example, the high voice starting at 0:58 - i get that its supposed be "counter-rhythmical", but it doesnt really work for me, its too rough. but then the absolutely fantastically flowing high melody at 1:14 comes in and everything is great again. the track has multiple of these moments and that makes it hard to thoroughly enjoy for me, especially because it has such great potential. then there is also the sounddesign, which is often too raw for my taste - but thats not necessarily objective criticism.

so in the end, i gotta say i feel there is great potential, but its only 55% realized. it feels like the track is trying to be too much while not fleshing out the details enough.

Tomtom

16 Aug 2022

Chizmata wrote:
25 Jul 2022
i listened to c.i.s. and gotta say the listening experience is generally on the positive side. i appreciate the creative composition and the good mixing work. but its also quite a mixed bag for me, it has really fantastic moments while others a pretty rough. for example, the high voice starting at 0:58 - i get that its supposed be "counter-rhythmical", but it doesnt really work for me, its too rough. but then the absolutely fantastically flowing high melody at 1:14 comes in and everything is great again. the track has multiple of these moments and that makes it hard to thoroughly enjoy for me, especially because it has such great potential. then there is also the sounddesign, which is often too raw for my taste - but thats not necessarily objective criticism.

so in the end, i gotta say i feel there is great potential, but its only 55% realized. it feels like the track is trying to be too much while not fleshing out the details enough.
I'm a little sorry that you didn't like it that much. I like these hard cuts that go in a different direction. I am also aware that my music is not for everyone. Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time and even writing a comment. Thanks for listening!

Chizmata

17 Aug 2022

Tomtom wrote:
16 Aug 2022
I'm a little sorry that you didn't like it that much. I like these hard cuts that go in a different direction. I am also aware that my music is not for everyone. Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time and even writing a comment. Thanks for listening!
lol no need to be sorry. we appear to hear the same things in your music, we just value them differently and thats fine. youre the composer and you need to make the final judgement.

Tomtom

03 Dec 2022

got some free codes for bandcamp:
maybe someone is interested:

ttzr-bfxp
vjrt-kza2
6gl3-6zuc
u2s5-k6mx
lmqf-6k9p
4g8l-yk6n
eunh-u99j
bl5p-e96k
5s68-3tz9
8j33-cnkz
tbx5-xez6

summon.exe

04 Dec 2022

Listening now. c.i.s. [rdm nr. 1] is my favorite so far. I love the sound. Thanks for the code (I used tbx5-xez6)

• Information