(Progressive house/Techno) Outbakken

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Popey

Post 12 Jun 2022

This is my current track and I am at the stage where i think it is finished but need to listen a few times to identify flaws.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Not sure of genre just went with what i liked creation wise.

Quarmat

Post 12 Jun 2022

This sounds so good. I wish I was able to achieve your clarity... To me it's perfect, but if I have to nitpick something I'd say that the polyrythmic synth that enters at 2:29 could use some modulation.

I love the subtle chords at 3.30, very well done!

Popey

Post 13 Jun 2022

Quarmat wrote:
12 Jun 2022
This sounds so good. I wish I was able to achieve your clarity... To me it's perfect, but if I have to nitpick something I'd say that the polyrythmic synth that enters at 2:29 could use some modulation.

I love the subtle chords at 3.30, very well done!
Thanks Quarmat. Agree about the synth and have changed this slightly now along with a few other tweaks (including changing hte kick which had a bad resonance i could not remove properly)

SteveHUK

Post 15 Jun 2022

Love this. I'm just getting back into Reason again after not doing any kind of music production for years. Do any of you guys collaborate on stuff in here?
:clap:

moalla

Post 15 Jun 2022

Really nice, happy to play it in the next time, keep going Popey
there is no right life in the wrong one [T.W. Adorno]
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
R12,R3900x,firefaceUC,T440p,Babyface,Miniak,SparkLE,Nocturns,Microkey37,IbanezSR305,EveSC205,DT880,Se2a,NT2A, PAB115mk2,JLsub12,dbx,QSC,Mackie,1000WattsbicyclePA

Popey

Post 16 Jun 2022

SteveHUK wrote:
15 Jun 2022
Love this. I'm just getting back into Reason again after not doing any kind of music production for years. Do any of you guys collaborate on stuff in here?
:clap:
Thanks. Regarding collaboration I know a few people on here have done so before and produced great music in this thread. Not something I have ever done personally but I would not be adverse to trying a collab in the future.

Popey

Post 16 Jun 2022

moalla wrote:
15 Jun 2022
Really nice, happy to play it in the next time, keep going Popey
Thanks moalla glad you liked it. I am Slowly improving 🐌

RTFX

Post 16 Jun 2022

I enjoy listening to ur tracks more and more. The mixes are well balanced and mastered. Pleasing to the ears.
Like Radiohead sings: everything in the right place.
I dont have any constructive feedback.
This is your track and I wouldnt change a thing if I were you.
Maybe a remix if i would have the stems😉
I wonder what your mastering chain looks like.
All my tracks on my YouTube channel 👇🏼https://www.youtube.com/user/SwordOfGlory1

Quarmat

Post 16 Jun 2022

RTFX wrote:
16 Jun 2022
Yeah I'd love too... but people are usually so secretive about their mastering :cool:

Popey

Post 16 Jun 2022

RTFX wrote:
16 Jun 2022
I enjoy listening to ur tracks more and more. The mixes are well balanced and mastered. Pleasing to the ears.
Like Radiohead sings: everything in the right place.
I dont have any constructive feedback.
This is your track and I wouldnt change a thing if I were you.
Maybe a remix if i would have the stems😉
Thanks RTFX I have spent a lot of time trying to improve my mixing and mastering but still lacks the power of commercial tracks (although I am starting to understand more as I go).

If you are serious about the stems I would be happy to share and actually quite honoured if somebody wished to remix one of tracks. Shoot me your email in a PM if you ever want to do this.

I see quarmat also mentioned my mastering chain, it's very basic but I will add the detail as happy to share.

Popey

Post 16 Jun 2022

Quarmat wrote:
16 Jun 2022
RTFX wrote:
16 Jun 2022
Yeah I'd love too... but people are usually so secretive about their mastering :cool:
Happy to share but it's very basic.

On this track my mastering chain was pro q3 (just a 18db slope high pass to tighten up the bass) and this slope was set at about 21hz but I adjust as needed, then bettermaker eq (just bought this) but also usually use the eve mp5 re here (basically both eq have the pultec boost/attenuation). Then I have the weiss compressor/limiter (really transparent device) before a pro l2 to catch any peaks.

The key thing I find is my mastering tweaks are all small (0.5 to 1.5db average reduction, eq moves etc) and if there are issues I go back to the mix and fix it as I have more control on the individual track.

The things that help me when mixing is listening to things in mono to highlight masking etc and I use the neutron eq a lot so I can see overlapping frequencies and decide what gets preference and sidechain dynamic eq accordingly. Just remember that if you have stuff panned it may seem like some frequencies clash when in mono but are OK when in stereo ( I still try and tweak these a bit though incase my tracks ever get played on a mono soundsystem).

Edit: forgot to mention that when mastering I get the low frequencies right and work my way up the frequency spectrum as changes to the low end usually impacts on how I hear the highs.
Last edited by Popey on 16 Jun 2022, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

Post 16 Jun 2022

The mix is balanced. Well done Popey. You've really improved a lot! The little snare buildup is not conniving though. I would work on that tension and release for the drop. 👍
The latest release:

moofi

Post 16 Jun 2022

Then, after all it´s not about the technique itself but how to apply it to an individual situation, so there is no true script to it, though a certain way of working can crystalise into an at least partial routine. I can very much recommend checking out the video I posted on discord already, Though it is in swiss german and the automatically generated subs only do that much, you can see how a mastering master is mastering step by step, first in software, then going into his hardwarechain for finalising. Lots of A/B comparisons shown, so even without potentially understanding anything in terms of what is being said you can follow along quite well at least in regards to results.
The video introduced me to the subtleties of mastering on a master level:

For a quick introduction (recorded via camera):

Quarmat wrote:
16 Jun 2022
RTFX wrote:
16 Jun 2022

Popey

Post 16 Jun 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Jun 2022
The mix is balanced. Well done Popey. You've really improved a lot! The little snare buildup is not conniving though. I would work on that tension and release for the drop. 👍
Thanks Phillip 👍

Re the drop I totally agree and been watching you tube vids on it yesterday, its definitely an area for improvement along with song structure in general.

Popey

Post 16 Jun 2022

moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022
Then, after all it´s not about the technique itself but how to apply it to an individual situation, so there is no true script to it, though a certain way of working can crystalise into an at least partial routine. I can very much recommend checking out the video I posted on discord already, Though it is in swiss german and the automatically generated subs only do that much, you can see how a mastering master is mastering step by step, first in software, then going into his hardwarechain for finalising. Lots of A/B comparisons shown, so even without potentially understanding anything in terms of what is being said you can follow along quite well at least in regards to results.

Quarmat wrote:
16 Jun 2022

Thanks for sharing will give this a watch when I finish work.👍

PhillipOrdonez

Post 16 Jun 2022

I just realised I meant to write convincing, not conniving 😅
The latest release:

moofi

Post 16 Jun 2022

Pleasure :-) Btw google seems to have updated their subtitle algorithm, making it quite easy to follow the actual German with a swiss accent (not Swiss German itself like written before).
Of course it´s not perfect, yet quite usuable :-)
Popey wrote:
16 Jun 2022
moofi wrote:
16 Jun 2022

Thanks for sharing will give this a watch when I finish work.👍

moofi

Post 16 Jun 2022

Having watched the video for it´s subtitles a little longer, I noticed the algorithm is not as advanced as I thought it would be, still possible to get most of it :-)

MuttReason

Post 17 Jun 2022

Really like this track, great energy and vibe and the chord drop around 3’30” is very good… progression works well. In fact if anything I’d bring the chords up a bit in the mix at that point, they’re in the background but it’s a really good shift in the mood and I’d personally bring them forward more. But that’s a small point, overall this is proper solid work - nice one!

Popey

Post 18 Jun 2022

MuttReason wrote:
17 Jun 2022
Really like this track, great energy and vibe and the chord drop around 3’30” is very good… progression works well. In fact if anything I’d bring the chords up a bit in the mix at that point, they’re in the background but it’s a really good shift in the mood and I’d personally bring them forward more. But that’s a small point, overall this is proper solid work - nice one!
Thanks for the kind words. I totally get what you mean about the chords and whilst trying things during mixing i did bring them a bit forward but felt the mood became a bit euphoric(trancey) if you get what i mean. Both forward and subtle sounded good but i slightly preferred the latter. Appreciate your feedback :)

TritoneAddiction

Post 18 Jun 2022

Nice. Probably one of my favorites from you.
I like all the little different layers coming in and out. It's a different way of composing that I haven't tried much myself.

Popey

Post 19 Jun 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2022
Nice. Probably one of my favorites from you.
I like all the little different layers coming in and out. It's a different way of composing that I haven't tried much myself.
Thanks 👍

• Information