(Drum&Bass/Synthwave) Ylvie - Never Lose Hope (Demo)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Ylvie

04 Jun 2022

Hello everybody! :)

I want to ask for your advice/opinion about the mixdown, structure, etc:

This song is suppossed to be the opener of my album:

The album is about my three years of therapy and everything I have dealt with.

I made this song during a depressive episode.
It is about a someone wandering; about someone who has no home.
So I tried to be melancholic but also hopeful.
I tried to make a song one can rest his head to. Coz music has always been there for me.

It reads a little more dramatic than I ment it to be, but please bare with me, Englisch is not my native language.

So, if you have any advice on the structure, the mixdown, etc, please let me know.
(I know, the song does need some proper mixing, and the second half needs some more work. I am working on it.)
But so far, what do you think?

Thanks!
Chris
Last edited by Ylvie on 05 Jun 2022, edited 2 times in total.
"I am the rest between two notes, which are somehow always in discord because Death's note wants to climb over, but in the dark interval, reconciled, they stay there trembling."

Popey
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2022

Hi I cannot see a link to your song?

Ylvie

04 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
04 Jun 2022
Hi I cannot see a link to your song?
Sorry, It seems like I deleted the link, instead of adding the updated one. :D
"I am the rest between two notes, which are somehow always in discord because Death's note wants to climb over, but in the dark interval, reconciled, they stay there trembling."

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2022

I quite like this and it has emotion. Although there are not many changes I did not find it repetitive.

Mix wise it seemed good and only comment would be to make some small adjustment to the drums. Personally I would dial down the snare a tiny bit and bring up the kick but this is just my personal opinion. Enjoyable piece of music, good work

Ylvie

05 Jun 2022

Popey wrote:
05 Jun 2022
I quite like this and it has emotion. Although there are not many changes I did not find it repetitive.

Mix wise it seemed good and only comment would be to make some small adjustment to the drums. Personally I would dial down the snare a tiny bit and bring up the kick but this is just my personal opinion. Enjoyable piece of music, good work
Thanks for listening, and thanks for your kind words. :puf_smile:
Will play around with the drums now.

Chris_ocon

05 Jun 2022

I love the lofi synth layer and the bell-like melody! I agree with Popey that the snare is a little forward, maybe too dry? The filtering of the snare works but maybe have a different element take the attention in those parts. The shaker might be a little dry for me too. I would also suggest looking at places you can automate more, especially building to the transitions. The layers all work well together but I think with automation you could really polish and guide the listeners attention to different aspects of the tune.

It's off to a great start, thanks for sharing!

Ylvie

06 Jun 2022

Chris_ocon wrote:
05 Jun 2022
I love the lofi synth layer and the bell-like melody! I agree with Popey that the snare is a little forward, maybe too dry? The filtering of the snare works but maybe have a different element take the attention in those parts. The shaker might be a little dry for me too. I would also suggest looking at places you can automate more, especially building to the transitions. The layers all work well together but I think with automation you could really polish and guide the listeners attention to different aspects of the tune.

It's off to a great start, thanks for sharing!
Thanks for listening.
I bought some new Drum&Bass drum samples. Sounds better now. cleaner.
And for the rest, I guess it takes a little time to make thing flow better.

Again, thanks for the advice.

chimp_spanner

07 Jun 2022

Hey! I'm only listening on laptop speakers atm so I can't really comment too much on mix. But for a drum and bass song I'd say a little 16th note stuff in the top loop is essential. Atm most of what I'm hearing is just the kick and snare. I think a little 16th hat pattern or something in the background would add some drive and pace to the drums. As I'm typing while listening I hear that something like that comes in briefly towards the end, but I would have it more constant (and perhaps less shuffled). Otherwise nice vibe! Really chill.

Ylvie

07 Jun 2022

chimp_spanner wrote:
07 Jun 2022
Hey! I'm only listening on laptop speakers atm so I can't really comment too much on mix. But for a drum and bass song I'd say a little 16th note stuff in the top loop is essential. Atm most of what I'm hearing is just the kick and snare. I think a little 16th hat pattern or something in the background would add some drive and pace to the drums. As I'm typing while listening I hear that something like that comes in briefly towards the end, but I would have it more constant (and perhaps less shuffled). Otherwise nice vibe! Really chill.
Thank you!
Yeah, I bought some new Drum&Bass Drum Samples. Working on it. I have something now more constant, just not sure yet.
In backsight, Breakbeat/Synthwave probably would have been more accurate.

• Information